What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection (1 Viewer)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I also got this set for Christmas and have been quite happy with it. I have little nitpicks, such as wishing there were slim cases and all, but "The Man Who Knew too Much" transfer didn't really bother me. That was one of the few I didn't have the original discs of, but it didn't seem too bad. I wish the AFI segment had been longer, but I enjoyed what there was. Overall, I'm happy, and was happy when my brother got it for me.

Now I need "Lifeboat" and I will have nearly all the American movies of Hitch.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm digging up this thread again....

I had the chance to view part of the original Rear Window DVD. As great as it was, we already know it's not as sharp or detailed as the Universal remaster. However, what really surprised me was how much cleanup was applied to the opening titles. The old DVD is littered with dirt and scratches (unavoidable with opticals of that time). The new one makes the opening titles virtually spotless.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Patrick,

This is quite true of Rear Window. Universal gave time and effort toward the elimination of optical detritus, which was part of the original.

Nicely done.

RAH

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
I also recently viewed Rear Window again. The newer Universal remaster looks amazing! The colors are sharp and bold.

Will Vertigo get the same treatment to finally correct the elements of time?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Vertigo was restored photo-chemically and photo-optically by the best means available at the time.

Today, we would deal with it digitally, with much better results.

This would be a perfect Lowry project.

RAH

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
That brings to mind something I've wondered... in at least the photo-chemical restorations/reconstructions you've been involved in Mr. Harris, after the projects were completed, what was done with the faded/damaged camera originals (or whatever earliest-generation elements that were available)?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
RAH... any story behind why there is a freeze-frame on James Stewart's credit during the titles? Were there missing frames or something?

By the way, I think Vertigo looks stunning except for that "dupe dupe dupe negative" segment during Judy's flashback. Even so, it looks great besides the specks on the optical lens (two near the top and one off-center) and some horizontal blotches in a few shots.

I think you mentioned the prospect of what a digital intermediate would do for a movie like Vertigo... what resolution would be needed to keep the original image intact? With the amount of films being totally color timed digitally, I'd imagine making new prints with this method would help add the extra bit of quality to something that already has photochemically/optically restored film elements.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Original elements, after replication, are all cold-vaulted in long term storage.

We now have an "easy" fix for the multiple dupes.

RAH

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Robert Harris,

Can you explain how digitally it would be different with the use of mutiple dupes?

What can be done to the chemical restoration sourced from the foreign footage (was it from mexico or spain?) today if Lowry had access to doing a newer retoration to Vertigo?
Will it blend the two different prints?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I just bought Shadow of a Doubt, as it is one of the few i didn't own already. I also need Vertigo, never bought it because of the lack of "Anamorphic" widescreen. Any idea when another batch of these titles will be released individually, and suggestions of what NEEDS to be an upgrade of the original release?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Saboteur - Much less grainy/noisy and cleaner
Shadow of a Doubt - Lots of dirt/scratch removal
Rope - Dirt/scratch removal + sharper
Rear Window - Much, much sharper, extensive dirt/scratch removal
The Trouble with Harry - Sharper
The Man Who Knew Too Much - Worse, keep the old disc
Vertigo - Sharper, brighter, 16x9, original mono
Psycho - a LOT sharper, 16x9, excellent audio
The Birds - smoother, a lot less noise, sharp, clean
Marnie - Better color and contrast
Torn Curtain - Sharper and better framing
Topaz - Sharper and better color
Frenzy - Sharper and better color
Family Plot - Sharper and better color

Overall, the biggest improvements are on Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho, Saboteur, and The Birds.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't The Birds suffer from a bit of over cropping on the new release? And if they release these discs separately, I hope they fix the minor sync issue with at least one scene in Psycho.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I agree that the color is marginally better, but...

The edge enhancement is just horrible. It doesn't help that the image was already really soft.

The only good things I can say about it... it at least has the original VistaVision opening (probably taken from The Trouble with Harry), has a steadier image (the old DVD was really shaky), and is cleaner. However, there's a huge amount of noise reduction. It still irritates me that Universal has a 4K digital restoration at hand from Cinesite and it wasn't utilized. The sound is too filtered, as well.

If it wasn't for it being a minor Hitchcock film, we should have pushed Universal to re-do it. Then again, we couldn't convince Fox to re-do the horror that is the Todd-AO version of Oklahoma! It's just a pity to see such horrible transfers that don't do justice to the high-definition formats the films were shot in. Whatever will be, will be.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
Goood Eeeevning!!! I hate to continue a thread that has run its course [I guess]. I do want to point out that Monday I got this from Best Buy. The set is stunning! Phsyco looks like it was made yesterday. The black & white caused my jaw to drop. 'Vertigo' looks and sounds terific as well. The others [Trouble With Harry was looked at] were not seen or barely seen yet. I'll give em a go in my own good time. Of the two track on Vertigo do you like the mono trck or do you like the 5.1 track??? Do tell. I mono sounds more alive while the 5.1 sound a bit muffled. I understand about the audio elements explained by Mr. Harris. What trck do you watch 'Vertigo' with? Thaaank yooou Verrry muuuuch!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks