What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Broadway Melody (1 Viewer)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I thought I read somewhere (this forum?) that the surviving reel of GOLDDIGGERS ON BROADWAY is rumored to probably be part of the extras. Knowing WB, it sounds like the thoughtful bonus they'd include. I saw the surviving reels at the Film Forum in NYC several years ago, and it's definitely worth including on DVD. I'm reasonably confident this will happen.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I heard that too, Barry, but it's unsubtantiated rumor. The Berkeley films represent a whole different sensibility, and it seems like an odd choice that may have been wishful thinking on the part of an over-enthusiastic fan.

More likely, WB would save rarities like that for a DAWN OF SOUND kind of thing, which I hope George Feltenstein will repeat after those three wonderful lasers he assembled at MGM. The cost factor might get in the way vis a vis how many DVD enthusiasts are interested in films from this period.

I will buy 20 of 'em if it would help bring us more of the same!

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Yes, the best route would be to transfer those DAWN OF SOUND and Vitaphone sets to DVD; to me if there's an ongoing interest in a specialized market as silent film there should be an equivalent niche to be found for early sound films, especially those that offer the variety and color of these early musicals.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
>The laserdiscs to which Mr. Rollins refers are selling for four figures.
Wow! I never thought of laser discs are an investment but maybe I should put my copies of these into a safety deposit box... :)

hidenka

Auditioning
Real Name
Almudena
Any idea where the print for the preservation/restoration came from? Im trying to find a decent source for the print and I am not being very lucky... thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks