What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Oh, you mean they shot it long but ended up deciding to go in closer, that sort of thing? RAH mentioned a similar issue with a brief shot in White Heat when that DVD came out, and it's quite noticeable in that one.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got the boxed set today on schedule and watched IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER. The sharpness is great and the color not bad (though it seems to vary in consistency throughout the film).

But I think Warners stinted on the aspect ratio. I don't think this is really 2.55:1. Dan Dailey's section in the "Once Upon a Time" dance sequence seems a little clipped on the left edge. I also got the feeling in the trash can lid dance that Dailey was almost out of the frame on the left as well. In the Gene Kelly Collection laserdisc set, I don't remember thinking the edges were snipped a bit at all.

Did anyone else feel like it was cropped a trifle on the left side?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
watched IAFW last night for the first time- interesting (and entertaining) movie.
i really enjoyed its almost anti-sentimental nature.
it looked to be in a 2.55 to me- i didn't measure it, but it definitely was wider than 2.35 ( i try to use a constant height set-up with my pj).

could it be overscan from your display?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
watched IAFW last night for the first time- interesting (and entertaining) movie.i really enjoyed its almost anti-sentimental nature. it looked to be in a 2.55 to me- i didn't measure it, but it definitely was wider than 2.35 ( i try to use a constant height set-up with my pj). could it be overscan from your display? No, my display has next to no overscan - 1%. I took out the laserdisc tonight. First, the color and sharpness of the new DVD is WORLDS ahead of that remastered laserdisc from the Kelly Collection. I could absolutely swear a sliver of picture information is not there on the DVD, but it's not much. The laser just seems to give Dailey a little bit more dancing room. BTW, thanks, Warners, for making the documentaries and outtakes enhanced for widescreen displays. That was GREAT not having to adjust the aspect ratios at all in going from the film to the special features.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Because of its overall "You Can't Go Home Again"-cynicism, its muted grey and brown colors (for a film called IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER, not a blue sky in sight), IAFW is the antithesis of the MGM musical. It anticipates Sondheim (particularly the anti-nostalga of FOLLIES). Next to BAND WAGON, it's my favorite MGM musical. It's also the under-rated Dan Dailey's finest two hours.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Got mine today and I'm really looking forward to this set.
We know that the second and final boxset of Astaire and Rogers is coming from Warners in August, but other than that and the next batch of Marquee Musicals from Fox is there anything else on the horizon regarding musicals?
I seem to remember someone mentioning a particular MGM musical at one of the Warner chats, only to be told that it probably would come, but that there were about 30 titles (musicals) in front of it. It would be really wonderful to own all the musicals produced at MGM as they really are watchable over and over again.
Discounting MGM and Fox, are there many more great musicals yet to come to DVD from the other studios- Paramount, Universal, Columbia? One that does spring to my mind is Flower Drum Song.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
As for movies based on Broadway musicals, from the 1950s and 1960s, besides "Flower Drum Song," the major ones missing from DVD are "Kismet," which was MGM, so will likely happen sooner or later -- and then "Where's Charley?" and "Porgy and Bess," which apparently are stuck waiting for certain rights holders to give their permission.

From the 1970s, there's "Song of Norway," "The Great Waltz" and "Mame," none of which are highly regarded, but would be nice to have on DVD, anyway.

In the early sound days, there were many, many movies of Broadway musicals that were released in 1929 and 1930, most of which probably don't even exist any more. However, some show up on TCM, such as "Rio Rita," "Sally," "Sunny" and the 1930 "Good News." I doubt these will ever end up on DVDs, but I tend to be pessimistic.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm still waiting for THE PIRATE. This is one Technicolor musical that would really benefit from Ultra Resolution, but I haven't read anything about Warners working on it. I think they're busy re-doing AN AMERICAN IN PARIS and the extensive work that has to be done on QUO VADIS.

And how about a boxset of the Judy Garland-Mickey Rooney musicals? Much overdue!

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Warner can come with the Roone/Garland musicals, Doris Day's earlier vehicles, The Pirate and Esther Williams that I'll purchase them gladly; I'm also craving for some Eleanor Powell, Jane Powell and MacDonald and Eddy operettas. Hopefully they will all get a chance on dvd.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
I would also love to see a Jane Powell collection. And, where is "Deep In My Heart"? A lot of effort was given to the laser disc (widescreen/stereo music elements). I hope that we get an anamorphic/stereo release soon. The musical numbers are just remarkable!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Didn't the Warners execs at the last chat say the early Doris musicals were coming? Seems like ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS, IT'S A GREAT FEELING, TEA FOR TWO, and APRIL IN PARIS were mentioned either there or in some other interview George Feltenstein participated in.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

Check, check, check, and check. Wallet locked and loaded.

DG

P.S. [OT] Regarding all the Powells (Dick, William, Eleanor, Jane, and any others). Are any of them related?

Corey

Screenwriter

I read on the digital bits that a Rooney & Garland set was coming out later this year with Thoroughbreds Don't Cry, Babes In Arms, Babes On Broadway, Strike Up the Band, Girl Crazy, and Words and Music.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
From www.thejudyroom.com message board:

"Just finished watching Summer Stock and noticed a glaring sound mistake. When Gene and Phil Silvers are singing "Dig for Your Dinner" there is a part where they yell "Charge". Well, because they remastered the soundtrack, they forgot to put them yelling "Charge" back in. They speak it and no sound comes out of their mouths. I know they yelled it on my VHS copy. Has anyone else noticed this? "

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks