What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Astaire & Rogers Collection I (1 Viewer)

DavidBC

Second Unit
I found this set on sale today and can't wait to dive into it tonight. Top Hat is first, then Swing Time. Hurrah!

DaveK

Second Unit
As I'm typing this message, I'm watching The Barkley's of Broadway on TCM. I'm guessing that watching it now would give me a good indication how the film will look on DVD.

The picture is too dark and blurry, but the sound is terrific.
Not all technicolor movies without U-R treatment are bad. Good News (1947) with June Allyson looked exceptional on DVD. This was an MGM technicolor movie.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Has anyone noticed a strange glitch at 1:58 into the cartoon TOY TOWN HALL on the Astaire SHALL WE DANCE DVD? Is my disc defective or are all of them the same?

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Whew! Thought I was the only one. I watched all the cartoons as soon as the set arrived, then had to watch Shall We Dance first to confirm it wasn't a problem running throughout the disc. Just a minor defect affecting an otherwise perfect set.

BTW I think the poster art on the individual covers are Warner's most attractive efforts so far, while the silver effect and embossed lettering on the box look gorgeous.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Thanks. The same thing occurs on the WHV supplement GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOR found on THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. What gives? I expected stuff like this in the analog days (dropouts, etc.), but not now. Oh, well. At least it's not on the features.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
My question about TOY TOWN is what the heck th' final gag is... the cartoon is framed so that we can't see what the kid is hitting with the mallet!

Drew Salzan

Second Unit

I also didn't get the gag. Another strange thing; according to the Warner Brothers Cartoon Filmography website, TOY TOWN HALL was the first Merrie Melodies short to have the Merrily We Roll Along theme in the opening and closing titles. This is not the case on this disc. Anyone care to comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks