1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™Star Trek (2009) -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Someone needed a good portion of plain old-fashioned chutzpah to take the Star Trek legend and do a "Batman Begins" with it.

But J.J. Abrams' film not only survives the exercise, but positions itself for a sequel. While never a huge fan of either the original series or of the thirty or so features that seem to have followed in the wake, I can appreciate the new film. I admire it for its audacity as well as for being a plain old great yarn.

Paramount's new Blu-ray, which is not a transfer, but a port of data files, shows that the studio, when given quality data that hasn't been messed with, can achieve an absolutely superb Blu-ray, that equals the best in the marketplace both from a visual perspective, as well as from the aural, via Dolby TrueHD.

Even someone who hasn't been a fan of the cult can appreciate this film.

A fun couple of hours brought to Blu-ray with perfection.

Live well and prosper!

Recommended.

RAH

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Well-Known Member

And let's hope this is indeed Abrams' "Batman Begins" because that would mean there is a "Dark Knight" coming! (which I thought to be vastly superior to the great Batman Begins)

3. Guest

I, for one, absolutely hate the excess lens flares in this movie. To me, they were very annoying. It's funny how since the dawn of lenses, manufacturers have strived, with engineering and coatings, to minimize this phenomenon. Here you have a director purposely causing them about five hundred times in the movie.

Another thing that bugs me are the "CSI" jerky handheld shots (especially sideways movement) during close-up dialogue sequences. Call me old school, but some aspects of modern filmmaking are hard to fathom.

The movie itself was good, but I don't know about the five star rating it has been getting from everyone. *** 1/2

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Well-Known Member

ManW
    Finally picked up my preorder from BB last night, and the wife had been anticipated it's arrival for some time now, so it jumped the queue and never made it into our pile(s) of backlogged titles.

_Man_

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    The handheld look in John Adams didn't seem to fit the subject matter. I'm not certain that I mind it quite as much here. The purpose, I would think, well beyond the "look," is to move more quickly from shot to shot, avoiding locked down situations.

6. nolesrule

nolesrule Well-Known Member

Joe Kauffman
    Duct tape

7. Jason_V

Jason_V Well-Known Member

Jason
    Quote:
    Watching it in IMAX, on a dome, laying almost on my back caused a bit of whiplash. (Not to mention the Iowa and Vulcan labels being cut off, reading "Owa" and "Ulcan"...)

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW

9. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Well-Known Member

Joel Fontenot
    This was actually filmed using anamorphic lenses. After that, it was all scanned and transferred, I'm sure, but there was some film developing going on.

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW
    RAH probably just meant data port from the DI master, which in practice, is all that's gonna matter for the purpose of the review. It's not like they're gonna rescan the film neg and then redo all the digital SFX, etc. just for a BD release. That may *never* ever happen at all (for any future releases), especially since we're talking about Paramount here.

_Man_