What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Wolf -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mike Nichols' 1994 Wolf is an interesting film in that it tries, and reasonably successfully succeeds, in tying Mr. Nicolson's lycanthropic bent into the modern New York publishing scene.

As a Blu-ray the disc also succeeds as it continues a run of quality transfers from Columbia (Sony) that no other studio has been able to match. This isn't a contest, but creating quality Blu-rays is neither magic nor brain surgery, and with the occasional misstep, every new Blu-ray should be able to recreate the textures and feel of a film.

For those who elect to pick up a copy of this disc, and there are many reasons why one should, I'll make note of the fact that transitions appear to be dupes, which in dropping two generations, also lose resolution. Unless one were to make a search for the OCN elements used to create the transitions, this is what it is, and properly relays the look of the film Blu-ray.

Wolf is a great deal of fun, and is Recommended.

RAH

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Thanks for the review... I picked it up the day it was released and watched it last week. The image quality isn't the sharpest at times but to me it looks as good as can be expected. I can't imagine a film print looking any better, I had never seen the film before EVER.

I love a good Mike Nichols film and Postcards from the Edge is one of my favorites I'd like to see get released on BD along with Working Girl. Since these are considered "chick flicks" these tend to take longer on getting BD releases if any. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? woould be a great BD also.

I can't say I loved the the last reel so much, but I loved watching the film and loved the storyline. It seems very tongue in cheek and I think oddly enough with the recession and takeovers that are always in the news the storyline isn't dated at all.

Also keep your eyes out for Allison Janney, and David Schwimmer in small roles. Janney's is very very fast you blink you could miss her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks