What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Witness for the Prosecution -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Robert Harris said:
Interesting piece of history.

The aspect ratio for Kwai is incorrect, as while it was discussed early on to be 2.55, it was only released in 2.35, with the left side of image cropped.

The publication is incorrect.

RAH
My understand is that it was composed 2.55:1, and when the mono optical track came in all prints went out at 2.35:1. Obviously it would be incorrect to project such a print at 2.55:1, but regardless the trades have correctly listed the intended compositional ratio. Which is something. Who knows how or why it turned out that way, but if we're relying on the trades to tell us how to watch our films today, then this is an example of them getting it right.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The world premiere was held at the Plaza in London on October 2, 1957 and the U.S. premiere was at New York's RKO Palace on December 18.

The very first release with a mag/optical track was KISMET on December 23, 1955.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In original discussion, a stereo track was on the table, but then dropped -- possibly as the budget rose. The film was shot as 2.55, but no prints were ever struck, and in 2.35, the lab neglected to center the image, presuming it had been shot regular aperture.No 2.55 printing matrices were ever produced, and all prints were 2.35 (off-center).As far as tracks, no stereo was ever recorded, and all stems, inclusive of music are monaural.As congecture, marketing may have released almost year old specs to the trades. 2.55 did not see the light of day until Mr. Crisp brought the film to its latest video incarnation.RAH

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
For spherical wide-screen films of this era, I have always suspected that the published aspect ratios had little to do with the "intended" AR of the film makers. Prints often had more vertical information on them than would be necessary for exhibition at the published AR. Projectionists would show them at varying aspect ratios depending on the theatre's properties and the whim of management.

I have never examined a print of this film so I cannot say but I would not be shocked to learn that original prints were 166.

The actual intent of the director and DP may be hard to discern.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
If the published aspect ratios had little to do with the intended aspect ratios, why publish them at all? What other purpose do they serve?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
EddieLarkin said:
If the published aspect ratios had little to do with the intended aspect ratios, why publish them at all? What other purpose do they serve?
The published aspect ratios were generally correct, thus the rationale to publish them. On occasion they did not sync to facts, or changing facts.

Which is why Mr. Furmanek's ongoing research is an important database. My point has always been that during the short era of aspect ratio change, that data should be accepted as a measured standard, subject to confirmation.

RAH

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Robert Harris said:
As congecture, marketing may have released almost year old specs to the trades. 2.55 did not see the light of day until Mr. Crisp brought the film to its latest video incarnation.
And boy did that look beautiful -- somehow I had never seen the film, so when Film Forum had a brand new print from that same source, I saw it and was blown away. Fantastic film, beautifully photographed.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
The publication is incorrect.

RAH
Trade publications are not above making errors. I don't know how many times I've read an article in The Hollywood Reporter (especially obits) that had me scratching my head regarding "facts".

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Bob Furmanek said:
The first presentations with a combo mag/optical track were BOY ON A DOLPHIN on April 10, 1957. Fox also had mag/optical prints available in April on THE TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES.
Oh, that's so interesting Mr. Furmanek, thank you! I had always thought that BUS STOP initiated the mag/optical mandate in 1956 (I can't remember now WHY I thought so, though) so it's great to have it clarified. Thanks, again!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you Will, it's my pleasure.

I was mistaken in my earlier post and have corrected the information. The very first release with a mag/optical track was KISMET on December 23, 1955.

The first mag/optical print from Fox was in April 1957 with BOY ON A DOLPHIN and THE TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Mag-optical-Kismet.gif

Magop2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks