What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Westbound (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the highly requested missing links in the Boetticher pantheon has finally arrived on SD DVD courtesy of Warner's new Archive Collection, and the quality is far greater than I would have imagined. As a part of the problematic 5248 situation, Westbound, a 1958 production in Warnercolor, released in 1959 has its color intact. I'm making an assumption that what we're seeing is the result of the separation masters.

It's so rare that we can get a reasonably accurate glimpse of 1950s color design -- sets, costumes, make-up, etc. -- that Westbound here serves a dual purpose.

As entertainment the film holds up nicely, and as a DVD, the quality is just fine. Color timing could have been a bit more on target for one sequence, in which the ball was dropped when it came to day for night. Sometimes I get a feeling that the folks timing the video masters don't really watch the film. Other than that Westbound is a quality release.

From what I've been seeing the Warner Archive Collection is one of the best concepts to hit the marketplace in ages.

Recommended.

RAH

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
"From what I've been seeing the Warner Archive Collection is one of the best concepts to hit the marketplace in ages."

How refreshing to hear something positive on the Archive program after the continuous bashing on that other thread. Especially from someone who knows what he's talking about.

Westbound will now definitely be my next Archive order.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I agree wholeheartedly! I really don't understand the bashing over the concept that's been going on in certain places. It seems as though perhaps certain people are viewing this program as having robbed the titles of legitimate releases. In my opinion, some of those people need to accept that their love of a film or the quality of the film itself doesn't necessarily translate to sales - it's just a sad truth in the ongoing art vs. commerce struggle. I view the Warner Archive as a program that allows titles that simply weren't coming out any other way to see the light of day. If the quality of each and every title isn't state of the art, given the choice between being able to see a movie in decent to good quality or never being able to see it at all, I think it's a no-brainer.

While I'm sure the execution of the program will no doubt be revised, refined and improved over time, the concept is brilliant, and worth supporting.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I was very pleased with the quality of this film and recommend it to any fans of Randolph Scott and Budd Boetticher.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

I wholeheartedly agree and applaud all the efforts put into the Warner Archive Collection. I'm repeating myself but I think it's the best news classic movie lovers have ever had.

I have never seen WESTBOUND, I think I will order it in the next bunch
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

From the word reaching me, the bugs are being worked out of the systems, and things are going to be getter much, much better!

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
This is an especially interesting release. I have no doubt that the film looks every bit as good as Mr Harris says it does, but given that the print used has no major faults I can't help wondering about one thing. If Sony were confident enough to release a loaded box of their Boetticher/Scott movies at the end of last year, why do Warner believe that this last Boetticher/Scott title is so marginal that it deserves to be dumped onto the Archive programme?
I'll grant it's not the strongest of the director/star's efforts but, when a rival company felt that their titles were worth the prestige treatment, it does seem odd that Westbound should be relegated to the Archives.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I don't think Warner considers the Archive a dumping ground. One tier lower than regular release? Sure. But the indication Mr. Harris has given us is that they do intend to make this a worthy program for releases.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

It has not been "relegated." It has been released. The fact that Columbia had enough titles to create a package was a good hook for the release. WB has but a single western.

RAH

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
This would've made for a very nice addition to a future Warner Classic Western DVD set.

The Hanging Tree, Wichita, Westbound, The Devil's Doorway, Across the Wide Missouri all on pressed DVD's, a bonus feature or two, commentaries, CC and or subtitles for the hearing impaired all for under $35, that's a mere $7 a title :eek: ...........ahhh.... the good old days. ;)

htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

To place things in a bit of perspective, you can easily triple that number just for Hanging Tree.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan

Warner may not have any more Boetticher westerns on their books but they certainly have plenty of other quality westerns which could have made up a nice box set.
And I stand by the relegated comment, burned media at overinflated prices and no international availability doesn't fit my definition of a proper release.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan

At least The Hanging Tree and Across the Wide Missouri have been given releases in Europe. Hanging Tree is a weak full screen transfer, but it is available and it's cheap. Across the Wide Missouri is a very nice looking disc.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't actually care what it costs. As a consumer, it's immaterial to me. I don't give a damn that 'x' cost so much/little to restore, or 'y' made so much profit/loss. Two things matter to me; the quality of the finished item, and the price I have to pay to get at it.

To snatch a quote from Alan Sillitoe, all the rest is propaganda...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Let me put it this way, I'm as concerned with Warners costs and expenditures as much as they are concerned with my personal expenses.

Now I might be willing to fund such a project but only for a large % of the profits. :D Or do you expect me to just give my money away to a multimillion dollar corporation? :eek: But that's neither here nor there so let's not muddy up the waters..........

Just give me a product I'm interested in at what I think is a fair/reasonable price for the end product, factoring in the effort involved (or lack of)/features(or lack of) and they'll earn a sale from me.

customer = happy + large multimillion dollar company = happy.

This isn't rocket science here. ;)

Thanks, I was interested at one time in picking up the R2 Missouri but read somewhere that the spanish subs weren't removable. If this was incorrect, I'll probably reconsider.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan

I don't know about Spanish editions, but the Warner France edition certainly has removable subs via the main menu. A word of warning though, some of the westerns released by Warners in France seem to be going out of print and marketplace prices are rising. The Last Hunt was going for 50 Euro last time I looked. Missouri is now between 20 and 30 Euro new on Amazon. The best price I've currently seen is from Fnac.com for 17 Euro.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The French do love their westerns don't they? But those prices, they're almost Archive*.

*[Collins New New English Dictionary; Archive [ahr-kahyv], verb: to hoard then charge a breathtaking amount. Used predominanty in Hollywood during times of recession.]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks