What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I was going to start a new thread simply thanking Warner Bros. for its catalog output this year, but instead I'll just tack my comments onto this thread.

What other studio can you think of that is giving us so many wonderful catalog Blu-ray releases? (and that does NOT count the licensing out to niche labels). It may be that they have finished up with their superb schedule for 2015, and I hope they will continue into 2016, but if they stop dead in their tracks right now, they have given us a wide variety of wonderful releases between their main label and their Archive off-shoot.

So, if it means anything, Mr. Feltenstein and others, I offer you many thanks for filling in so many important gaps in my Blu-ray collection!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have been buying blu-rays since October 2010 so five years now. Each year I am buying fewer titles although many thousands seem to be released. I think my favourite period (1940 -1960) is quickly declining in popularity and I am consequently less hopeful that the gaps in my collection will be filled. Most of my purchases this year are from TT/Criterion/Eureka/Carlotta etc.

Warners would make this customer happy by releasing High Society before the end of 2015.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The fact that I have a DVDs of Twice Upon a Time and Hugo the Hippo arriving tomorrow is reason enough for me to love the Archive. Heck, Twice even has both the clean and slightly-naughty audio tracks and a commentary track! As far as Hugo the Hippo goes, that's a film that, for all intents and purposes had dropped off the face of the Earth.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Keith Cobby said:
I have been buying blu-rays since October 2010 so five years now. Each year I am buying fewer titles although many thousands seem to be released. I think my favourite period (1940 -1960) is quickly declining in popularity and I am consequently less hopeful that the gaps in my collection will be filled. Most of my purchases this year are from TT/Criterion/Eureka/Carlotta etc.

Warners would make this customer happy by releasing High Society before the end of 2015.
Actually, I have been buying more blu-rays since I first started buying them the summer of 2006. I've expanded the retailers I'm buying from including those in other Regions. Granted, I want more classic films than what's been released, but I'm still buying plenty of them that have been released here or in other Regions.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have been multi region for several years otherwise it is easy to miss out on titles that may never receive a UK release. TT have again shown us today how to generate enthusiasm for catalogue titles. Their rolling programme and limited edition releases should be adopted by other distributors.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Keith Cobby said:
I have been multi region for several years otherwise it is easy to miss out on titles that may never receive a UK release. TT have again shown us today how to generate enthusiasm for catalogue titles. Their rolling programme and limited edition releases should be adopted by other distributors.
I've been multi region for several years too, but frankly, have been buying more other region titles because I'm multi-region at all three HT setups I have in my home now. I'm not sure if the enthusiasm/units sold is enough for expanding these limited edition releases. I hope it is.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Robert Harris said:
I have been reading seemingly constant complaints on line regarding Warner Bros. and presumed non-activity or lack of interest in bringing important catalog titles to the home video market.

Wrong.

Several weeks ago, I had a meal with friends from WB, and while I cannot report titles, I can report that things are alive and well at both Warner Home Video, as well as the Warner Archive Collection.

2015 portends to be their biggest year since the start of the format.

A quick overview.

Three-strip Technicolor. Minnelli. Bogart. Flynn. Davis. Astaire. Garbo. Sinatra.

Hammer Horror is a high priority.

The immense amount of work (and expense) that must go into each film to make it right for Blu-ray can sometimes hold things up, but what's coming represents some of the finest productions from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

I would start saving up now. For those who love classic cinema, it's going to be an expensive year.

RAH

And this week that moment of serendipity that RAH spoke about has been unleashed, Hictchock's I Confess, Big Sleep, Key Largo, and the already announced Hitchcock Wrong Man, don't know if saving up will be enough, :D keep the announcements coming, many of us have been waiting :biggrin:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (1958) is also up for pre-order on Amazon.de, so that could be next (& it's been on BBC2 in HD, & that seems to be a sure sign), but maybe not an Archive release (plus, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?). And I've read that Amazon Japan also have, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon as part of an RKO set, & then there's all the rest of the titles on the Warner poll, so things could get busy.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
And yet still no Mildred Pierce ?? I wonder if they could be planning a Joan Crawford blu ray set. Mildred Pierce, The Damned Dont Cry, Sadie McKee, A Womas Face, Strange Cargo would be on the top of my WB list if WB did a Crawford set

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Keith Cobby said:
I think the good old DVD days of sets are over, otherwise Warners would surely have brought out a Bogie set. It looks like deep catalogue titles will now be released through WAC (OK with me!) rather than WHV.
But because there were good old DVD days of fantastic box sets, there are nice Blu-Rays of the individual movies with terrific extras made for those DVD's, even if the enticing and unique boxes themselves are no more. I say, hang onto those DVD boxes if you've got 'em!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
But because there were good old DVD days of fantastic box sets, there are nice Blu-Rays of the individual movies with terrific extras made for those DVD's, even if the enticing and unique boxes themselves are no more. I say, hang onto those DVD boxes if you've got 'em!
Yes, heed those words! I was having a sort through the other day, & I can't find my Marx Bros or Errol Flynn box sets, & I ton of stuff I thought I had are not there, lent to friends, given away to charity shops, I dunno. I should have learnt my lesson with LP's, I got rid of 'em all, & am still waiting for a few favourites to turn up on CD.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
JoelA said:
All great titles, but did you mean A Woman's Face?
Yes, I mean A Womans Face :) All fixed, however there is movie called A Stolen Face and also one called A Stolen Life (with Bettie Davis) which reminded me of Dead Ringer :)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Yes classics are welcome, but lets not forget---RYANS DAUGHTER-----GOODBYE MR CHIPS----LOCAL HERO---PENNIES FROM HEAVEN---MICHAEL COLLINS--THE GOODBYE GIRL---PLAY IT AGAIN SAM--PACIFIC HEIGHTS---SURVIVING PICASSO---WHOS LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?---THE BUTCHER BOY---ALICE DOESNT LIVE HERE ANYMORE----WRESTLING ERNEST HEMINGWAY---SUMMER OF 42---UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE---MAN IN THE MOON.----SHOOT THE MOON.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
It looks like deep catalogue titles will now be released through WAC (OK with me!) rather than WHV.

The evidence so far is that Warner Archive only release Blu-ray discs if the elements do not need expensive work. So, no High Society, no Seven Brides For Seven Brothers etc. Are you sure you want that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks