What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Robert Crawford said:
Hmmm, interesting comments, but for me it's about enjoying my favorite films. I enjoy them on disc, but have found digital download viewings offers me another alternative that I simply can't ignore any longer. If my passion is to watch as many of my favorite films as possible then digital download viewings helps me in that regard.
Great points Robert. Weather the files are on a plastic disc or a metal hard drive they are still digital files. My main point of interest is enjoying what is on the piece of plastic or metal. When I have friends over to my home theatre they couldn't care less about the packaging but they do respond to a great film on the screen with delight.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Towergrove said:
The iTunes files on my hard drive are just as leased to me as the same ones on a physical disc aren't they? The studios always use the tag line "Own it today on Bluray and Digital HD" heck even Vudu states in their ads that when you buy the film from them it's stored forever in the cloud. If this is not the case then these studios and companies are lining themselves up for possible future lawsuits aren't they?

Good question. I haven't really moved much to digital downloading of movies as of yet but, from what I remember about ITunes (at least when you download songs) you are limited to the number of "devices" you are allowed to play them on. Considering I get a new laptop every few years, that has limited me in the past. I don't know if the policy has changed or if it's different for video files but I'd be interested in knowing.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Will Krupp said:
Good question. I haven't really moved much to digital downloading of movies as of yet but, from what I remember about ITunes (at least when you download songs) you are limited to the number of "devices" you are allowed to play them on. Considering I get a new laptop every few years, that has limited me in the past. I don't know if the policy has changed or if it's different for video files but I'd be interested in knowing.
AKAIK with iTunes you can have up to 5 devices at a time which you can authorize or deauthorize. I've changed Mac laptops every couple of years but always deauthorize the one I'm not using any longer to make room for the new one.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Gary16 said:
I've changed Mac laptops every couple of years but always deauthorize the one I'm not using any longer to make room for the new one.
well, whaddaya know? I never did that! Thanks for the tip (you learn something new every day!) I guess I never realized that was even a possibility...

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Authorize - Deauthorize? Another reason why digital downloads hold no appeal for me. You have to be a software programmer and an overall computer expert just to own your favorirte movies.

I buy a product, put it in a machine and it plays. I sometimes read the questions directed at our Hardware Reviewer, schan1269 (Sam) and my eyes glaze over. But I'm here to learn!

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Rob_Ray said:
Authorize - Deauthorize? Another reason why digital downloads hold no appeal for me. You have to be a software programmer and an overall computer expert just to own your favorirte movies.I buy a product, put it in a machine and it plays. I sometimes read the questions directed at our Hardware Reviewer, schan1269 (Sam) and my eyes glaze over. But I'm here to learn!
I prefer hard copies too but the authorize-deauthorize is very simple. Just one click in a drop down menu in iTunes.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Rob_Ray said:
Authorize - Deauthorize? Another reason why digital downloads hold no appeal for me. You have to be a software programmer and an overall computer expert just to own your favorirte movies. I buy a product, put it in a machine and it plays. I sometimes read the questions directed at our Hardware Reviewer, schan1269 (Sam) and my eyes glaze over. But I'm here to learn!
Unfortunately you can have problems with disc as well. I have a very large laserdisc collection that I can't play because my player went kaput. I can't find one in good working order. I've checked ebay and locally. I purchased one recently that was poor quality that I ended up pitching. Both physical and digital collections and collectors have problems that can be detrimental.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The crazy thing with downloads versus hard copies on Blu ray is that overseas buyers such as I can freely buy Region A discs.
But if something is only available as an HD dowload, all of a sudden we're told we're not allowed to purchase. Australians aren't allowed to watch, for instance, HD copies of Fred Astaire's 'Swing Time'. It might corrupt us.
And people wonder why piracy is rife!
Our Government here is about to bring in draconian legislation aimed at preventing internet piracy, but its provisions will in fact make it compulsory for our ISP providers to track and record every single thing we do, buy, look at and search for on the internet, and hand this info over to Govenrment agencies on request for up to five years after. And yet while they try to stop us accessing entertainment freely available anywhere else in the world, local suppliers have no interest in giving us equivalent access. Yes, Foxtel at a considerable price will let us view a small amount of product laden with commercials. It's that foreign-owned company our Government is now trying to protect.

EManT2200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leon
I joined this forum for the Warner Bros. content. Everytime I receive an email that there has been a new post, I come to check it out, but, it seems that things have switched to a digital download forum.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
EManT2200 said:
I joined this forum for the Warner Bros. content. Everytime I receive an email that there has been a new post, I come to check it out, but, it seems that things have switched to a digital download forum.
That's because Warners hasn't announced any new BD releases since MONDAY (The Great Race)! If they'd step up their game, we wouldn't get bored and go off-topic :)

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
Goodness...actual input that suggest the classics vault will truly be opened.....my wallet is already crying.
A Bogie and Flynn box would be incredible.
And hopefully WB becomes the first studio to truly get it together and do the Hammer classics justice. (Still waiting for Sony to pull the rabbit out of the hat and make a simple stunning BD for Revenge of Frankenstein. The DVD is great but lacks the stunning deep color of the LD.) WB has the rights to the trilogy of Curse of Frankenstein-Dracula-The Mummy and what I wouldn't give to see dripping color versions of those finally.

Maybe this will lead to a HD resurrection of the old Signature Collections. Many WB titles cry out for a new transfer or HD. I'm thinking of things like Gunga Din, Bringing Up Baby, and especially the classic Naked Spur which has a distressingly soft transfer.

But what I'm really hoping for is an HD overhaul of the Hitchcock Signature collection.

P

Patrick Donahue

Towergrove said:
Unfortunately you can have problems with disc as well. I have a very large laserdisc collection that I can't play because my player went kaput. I can't find one in good working order. I've checked ebay and locally. I purchased one recently that was poor quality that I ended up pitching. Both physical and digital collections and collectors have problems that can be detrimental.
Out of curiousity Towergrove, what is your digital collection like? UV? iTunes? Do you stream locally through a HD or just the cloud?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Spencer Draper said:
Goodness...actual input that suggest the classics vault will truly be opened.....my wallet is already crying.
A Bogie and Flynn box would be incredible.
And hopefully WB becomes the first studio to truly get it together and do the Hammer classics justice. (Still waiting for Sony to pull the rabbit out of the hat and make a simple stunning BD for Revenge of Frankenstein. The DVD is great but lacks the stunning deep color of the LD.) WB has the rights to the trilogy of Curse of Frankenstein-Dracula-The Mummy and what I wouldn't give to see dripping color versions of those finally.

Maybe this will lead to a HD resurrection of the old Signature Collections. Many WB titles cry out for a new transfer or HD. I'm thinking of things like Gunga Din, Bringing Up Baby, and especially the classic Naked Spur which has a distressingly soft transfer.

But what I'm really hoping for is an HD overhaul of the Hitchcock Signature collection.
They've already released their best Hitchcock's. Foreign Correspondent is on Criterion. I think any Bogie box will be the long awaited Bogie and Becall titles. But a Flynn box, and some of those b&w classics: Bringing up Babie, Gunga Din, and Yankee Doodle Dandy would be great.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
davidmatychuk said:
There definitely should be more Errol Flynn movies on Blu-Ray, other than just "The Adventures Of Robin Hood" and "The Rocketeer".
The Roots of Heaven is also available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks