What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
In the UK, BBC2 showed Kismet in HD, & the next thing it's a Archive release. Friday week they're showing Lust For Life (1956) in HD, I wonder if the same thing will happen again?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
atfree said:
I do feel there's a feeling of desperation in many of us BD fans.......streaming seems to be the direction home video is going towards, "leasing" copies of films vs. owning them is where the studios apparently want us to go......so we feel that if our favorite film(s) aren't released on BD soon, they never will be. Now, that may or may not be the reality, but I do believe it's a perception among many of us. I certainly feel that way.
Many of us have moved on to digital downloads (digital HD as the studios have begun to market it) We still collect but digitally. In fact Electronic Sell Thru is one of the only growth categories right right now. I wasn't for a hard drive full of digital files till recently, but have warmed up to that as quality has improved. So there is a future for those who collect films.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Towergrove said:
Many of us have moved on to digital downloads (digital HD as the studios have begun to market it) We still collect but digitally. In fact Electronic Sell Thru is one of the only growth categories right right now. I wasn't for a hard drive full of digital files till recently, but have warmed up to that as quality has improved. So there is a future for those who collect films.
Holding a hard drive is NOTHING like holding a case, with original artwork, a disc, etc. I have thousands of songs on my iPod and hard drive but they really don't have a tangible feel to them like my BD's...they feel almost, well, disposable. I agree that digital is the wave of the future, but just not for me. As long as physical media is available, it will be my preferred choice. But that's just me......

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
atfree said:
Holding a hard drive is NOTHING like holding a case, with original artwork, a disc, etc. I have thousands of songs on my iPod and hard drive but they really don't have a tangible feel to them like my BD's...they feel almost, well, disposable. I agree that digital is the wave of the future, but just not for me. As long as physical media is available, it will be my preferred choice. But that's just me......
Downloading cheapens the whole experience and makes everything seem so disposable, something to be watched and then erased and forgotten. I have no desire to collect digital downloads. I have nearly everything I'd ever want to watch anyway, often with supplements that grow more collectible with each passing year. When physical media dies, I think it will be time to stop collecting and focus more on enjoying what I already have.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Billy Batson said:
In the UK, BBC2 showed Kismet in HD, & the next thing it's a Archive release. Friday week they're showing Lust For Life (1956) in HD, I wonder if the same thing will happen again?
That would be great if this happens! Lust for Life could certainly use an upgrade since color is such an important component of this film and its story. I always thought previous home video releases looked a little faded.If a blu release looked as good as Minnelli's Kismet we're in for a treat.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Rob_Ray said:
I have no desire to collect digital downloads.
But there are a heck of a lot of people out there that do. Both markets for physical and digital continue to chug along side by side and hopefully that continues.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rob_Ray said:
Downloading cheapens the whole experience and makes everything seem so disposable, something to be watched and then erased and forgotten. I have no desire to collect digital downloads. I have nearly everything I'd ever want to watch anyway, often with supplements that grow more collectible with each passing year. When physical media dies, I think it will be time to stop collecting and focus more on enjoying what I already have.
Hmmm, interesting comments, but for me it's about enjoying my favorite films. I enjoy them on disc, but have found digital download viewings offers me another alternative that I simply can't ignore any longer. If my passion is to watch as many of my favorite films as possible then digital download viewings helps me in that regard.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
My biggest issue with digital is ownership. I've read a lot on the subject and many digital "purchases" are really leases, I.e. iTunes specifically states in their EULA that they own the content and can restrict access/usage at their discretion. I've also read where people have "bought" movies via Amazon in digital form and when Amazon lost the rights to the movie so did the buyer. Its all about control over assets.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think some of us have different priorities with this hobby. I'm more interested in watching as many movies as possible while others seem to be more interested in the ownership aspect of this hobby. Nothing wrong with that, but just noting the differences between the two camps of thought. I'm sure some will argue that they're part of both camps.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Robert Crawford said:
I think some of us have different priorities with this hobby. I'm more interested in watching as many movies as possible while others seem to be more interested in the ownership aspect of this hobby. Nothing wrong with that, but just noting the differences between the two camps of thought. I'm sure some will argue that they're part of both camps.
Yes, I'm part of both camps, but I have no desire, at this point anyway, to start collecting digital downloads. If I want to simply watch a movie, I can stream it at Warner Archive or catch it on TCM, but if I'm going to pay real money per title, I want something more tangible. It's why I still have all my laserdiscs. All that beautiful artwork and those heavy, impressive discs that make you feel like you've really purchased something were what got me into collecting.

And, not to change the subject, but you know what? I'm so glad I have kept them. Just this evening, I pulled out the laserdisc of SEPARATE TABLES, to compare with the bluray that arrived today. When Delbert Mann, in his commentary track, talks about David Raksin's alternate opening title instrumental arrangement, I can listen to it, because it's on the laserdisc along with the entire isolated score and effects track. That alternate title music hasn't been available since that laserdisc release.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Robert Crawford said:
Agreed. I stream a lot via Netflix and AIV....I screen titles I've never seen, watch movies I like but not necessarily love, etc. But when it comes to a movie I love, I want the physical media. For example, I'd never seen "Green for Danger" and caught it on Netflix one day. I now own the Criterion DVD.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Rob_Ray said:
Yes, I'm part of both camps, but I have no desire, at this point anyway, to start collecting digital downloads. If I want to simply watch a movie, I can stream it at Warner Archive or catch it on TCM, but if I'm going to pay real money per title, I want something more tangible. It's why I still have all my laserdiscs. All that beautiful artwork and those heavy, impressive discs that make you feel like you've really purchased something were what got me into collecting.

And, not to change the subject, but you know what? I'm so glad I have kept them. Just this evening, I pulled out the laserdisc of SEPARATE TABLES, to compare with the bluray that arrived today. When Delbert Mann, in his commentary track, talks about David Raksin's alternate opening title instrumental arrangement, I can listen to it, because it's on the laserdisc along with the entire isolated score and effects track. That alternate title music hasn't been available since that laserdisc release.
I didn't know it was available at all. I'm envious of your having this.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Rob_Ray said:

Outstanding! This is why collections are worth having!

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
atfree said:
My biggest issue with digital is ownership. I've read a lot on the subject and many digital "purchases" are really leases, I.e. iTunes specifically states in their EULA that they own the content and can restrict access/usage at their discretion. I've also read where people have "bought" movies via Amazon in digital form and when Amazon lost the rights to the movie so did the buyer. Its all about control over assets.
The iTunes files on my hard drive are just as leased to me as the same ones on a physical disc aren't they? The studios always use the tag line "Own it today on Bluray and Digital HD" heck even Vudu states in their ads that when you buy the film from them it's stored forever in the cloud. If this is not the case then these studios and companies are lining themselves up for possible future lawsuits aren't they? This would at least be false advertising. And unfortunately for the studios they both (physical as well as digital) have had their respected DRMs cracked by the code kids. I have downloaded many files from amazon to hard drive and if they somehow decide to not sell them my files still play. Studios are getting ready to launch CFFs common file format files this fall when that happens I will be moving over to all digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks