What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ War Horse -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Just rented and watched the Blu-ray. Enjoyed the film. Will probably add to my collection some day when there's a good sale.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I watch this the other day and was pretty impressed. I gave a very different view of WW1 although a tad slanted. I'm really glad I watched it but like Schindler's List not a movie I need to own. Watching it once was a enough.

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
Just started watching this and was expecting a stellar image. However black levels don't seem quite right: darkest shadows in the image look slightly washed out, and during the fades to black during the first 10 minutes of the film, the 2.40:1 frame is grey, quite a bit lighter than the black level of my projector (JVC DLA-HD350) evident in the black bars top and bottom. I don't normally see this on other blurays - fades to black normally achieve (or come close to) the same black level as my projector.
This is a UK Bluray of the film (HMV Steelbook exclusive edition).
I'm assuming this is not what others are seeing... I'm also assuming not an issue with my equipment settings/calibration as I'd be seeing this on other discs, and the black bars top and bottom would also be the same grey as the film frame...? Any suggestions why this should be?

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
I've attempted to take a couple of photos off my screen just to give an impression of what I'm seeing (appreciate that this isn't very scientific...)
The film certainly looks odd to me, and I'm thinking about sending a query/complaint to the UK distributor for this Blu-ray, but before I do, I would be grateful if anyone with the US version of the Blu-ray could tell me whether they are seeing the same as me...or whether they have any explanation...or whether I'm being too picky....or perhaps give me a view that this was the intentional look of the film for some reason...
1. Strangely, either side of the title caption, which I'm assuming will be some computer generated frames, the background image is completely black.
2. However, as soon as the location footage starts, fades from/to black look like this (4' 30" mark), and this appears to be the base black level for the whole film (black bars top and bottom are my 16:9 white screen) - accordingly, the film itself looks a little washed out, with no 'true' blacks:
3. At approx the 4' 30" mark, during the black period, there appears to be a cut where the image jumps - it's as though the images from the shots either side of the "fade to black" --> "fade in from black" haven't faded in/out completely, and you can see an artifact of the cut between the two shots.
4. This is roughly how the image looks as soon as the new shot appears at 4' 30" and is being faded in from black - i.e. it isn't being faded in from black, but from grey....
Hope someone can give their opinion.
Regards
Howard.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I haven't picked up this BD yet and would be very interested in hearing what others have to say as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks