What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Von Ryan's Express -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
According to an article in the Nov. 2009 issue of Post magazine, this film received a full 4k restoration (scanned from the OCN A & B rolls on a wetgate-equipped Imagica), performed by IVC in Burbank. If these colors on the Blu-Ray are the result of that work, either there was something horribly wrong with the film, fading-wise (the article only makes mention of scratches and other physical damage), something went way wrong in converting the files to Blu-Ray color space, or Fox deserves a refund from this vendor!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Well said, Joseph. The color is terrible - period. There's no excuse for such a travesty as this. If Fox didn't want to shell out for a complete new dye transfer and reprint of the film elements for archival purposes then the least they could have done was a bit of digital color correction to the elements after the scan, correcting things digitally exclusively for the Blu-ray release. Purplish blacks, ruddy orange flesh, jaundice looking granite, brown trees - ugh! Just terrible. This disc is a Frisbee. A hi-def one at that, but still a Frisbee, or perhaps a coaster for my beverage - an overpriced one at that!

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Robert Harris said:
They may have an element problem.RAH
Mr. Harris has a point here. I do applaud Fox for releasing any title with source element issues, as said issues should not prevent any title from being released.
moovtune said:
It doesn't sound like true stereo either to me ... more a processed "fake" stereo. But interestingly the isolated music track does seem to have some real separation. When they go back (yeah, right) to redo the picture correctly, maybe they could reassess the audio elements as well.
Ugh, one of those processed jobs? They have stereo music tracks, for cryin' out loud!

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Joseph Goodman said:
According to an article in the Nov. 2009 issue of Post magazine, this film received a full 4k restoration (scanned from the OCN A & B rolls on a wetgate-equipped Imagica), performed by IVC in Burbank. If these colors on the Blu-Ray are the result of that work, either there was something horribly wrong with the film, fading-wise (the article only makes mention of scratches and other physical damage), something went way wrong in converting the files to Blu-Ray color space, or Fox deserves a refund from this vendor!
The BD doesn't look like said work was done, but the OCN perhaps had some severe fade issues. Knowing Schawn Belston and his restoration team's reputation, perhaps this is as good as they could get it.
Nick*Z said:
Well said, Joseph. The color is terrible - period. There's no excuse for such a travesty as this. If Fox didn't want to shell out for a complete new dye transfer and reprint of the film elements for archival purposes then the least they could have done was a bit of digital color correction to the elements after the scan, correcting things digitally exclusively for the Blu-ray release. Purplish blacks, ruddy orange flesh, jaundice looking granite, brown trees - ugh! Just terrible. This disc is a Frisbee. A hi-def one at that, but still a Frisbee, or perhaps a coaster for my beverage - an overpriced one at that!
Again, perhaps the source is just plain garbage. If so, however, I'd like to see a restoration featurette on the disc explaining why the transfer is not up to the usual standard.
Hint hint, studios! Restoration featurettes should be included on every single vintage catalog release to educate the public on film restoration and to ensure properly informed criticism.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
There's something about watching a movie where the element is not in the best of shape, but untouched by the over-zealous digital technician, that is more pleasing when compared to that alternative. It may have something to do with seeing many of them second run with worn prints initially. While maybe something could have been done with the color, I still enjoyed Von Ryan's Express. This must have been done with a most definite cap on expenses. Maybe I am coming to terms with how these second tier catalog titles will now look, after having so much hope for all movies when the BD format first appeared. After initial early criticisms for the transfers offered by Kino/Lorber and Olive, we are getting these titles from the studios, but obviously in the best financially possible transfers. I am ecstatic? No, but at the price some of them are offered, as long as there is no modern tampering, and with the quality increase over DVD, it is good to be able to see them at 1080p in the HT.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I actually prefer watching this disc in black and white. At least the gradations are consistent, which is way-y untrue of the color. I would applaud (and re-buy) a new, restored edition.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Having just recently discovered this film, I have to ask: does anybody think there is any hope of this film being re-released with a new, improved transfer on Blu-ray, or is the currently available blu likely going to be about as good as it gets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks