What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Vertigo -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Robert Harris said:
No idea. It all comes down to budgets. Much of Vertigo is fine as it stands. Certain sequences need some serious work.

So could they literally leave most of the film completely untouched (from what they have now), or would they have to go back to everything so it didn't look uneven?

Roughly how many minutes need re-visiting?

Steve W

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Yorkshire said:
So could they literally leave most of the film completely untouched (from what they have now), or would they have to go back to everything so it didn't look uneven?

Roughly how many minutes need re-visiting?

Steve W

I think RAH said that about 90% of the film is fine 'as is'. Whether they'd need to redo the whole film if they were to retouch the other 10% using the current 'state of the art' tools 3 years later is only something RAH can answer with any certainty.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Just watched it. I know I'm late to the Blu-ray party but what a lovely Blu-ray it is. Not perfect, as RAH noted in the first post, but overall it's gorgeous and the reworked 5.1 is a treat (the Euro BD has no mono track but given how much more respectful the 5.1 is this omission won't keep me awake at night :)).

John Stockton

Second Unit
For those living in the Bay Area, the Castro theatre in San Francisco will be showing Vertigo in 70 MM DTS digital sound Fri Sep 4 thru Mon Sep 7

This is one of those rare occasions where a Vistavision large format film was not reduction printed, and can be viewed in all its original glory, thanks to the extensive restoration done by Robert Harris and James Katz. I saw this in 96 and again 2012 and can attest to the fabulous picture quality.

Although the remixed DTS soundtrack is controversial, the overall experience of seeing this timeless masterpiece in large format should not be missed.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
John Stockton said:
For those living in the Bay Area, the Castro theatre in San Francisco will be showing Vertigo in 70 MM DTS digital sound Fri Sep 4 thru Mon Sep 7

This is one of those rare occasions where a Vistavision large format film was not reduction printed, and can be viewed in all its original glory, thanks to the extensive restoration done by Robert Harris and James Katz. I saw this in 96 and again 2012 and can attest to the fabulous picture quality.

Although the remixed DTS soundtrack is controversial, the overall experience of seeing this timeless masterpiece in large format should not be missed.
And let's not forget the added pleasure of seeing the film with a likeminded audience on a big screen. I find this to be especially rewarding for classic screenings that from my experience mostly draw well behaved audiences.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
I'll just add the obvious in that if you can catch that Castro Theater showing of Vertigo (in all its foredescribed glory), you can...

...then leave the theatre to tour the movie's numerous San Francisco locations, many of which have changed little or not at all (though some are, sadly, gone).

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Tom Logan said:
I'll just add the obvious in that if you can catch that Castro Theater showing of Vertigo (in all its foredescribed glory), you can...

...then leave the theatre to tour the movie's numerous San Francisco locations, many of which have changed little or not at all (though some are, sadly, gone).
Very good idea although I would probably reserve another day for a movie location hunt.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Great article. Getting chips of green paint from a 1957 Jaguar to get the color right in the film is going above and beyond. I saw all the early 80s Katz Hitchcock re-releases in the theater (at the insistence of my wife), after having only seen a couple on TV in the past. My wife was a bigger film buff than me at the time. I can remember her saying 'these films haven't been seen in the theater in years, we have to go!' - so glad we did. That was really the beginning of my fondness for Hitchcock.

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
My all-time, number one, favorite film. And the BD is quite lovely. There is some troubled areas sure, but it's the best this has ever looked on home video by far. I HOPE upon HOPE that we see some new Hitchcock transfers for 4K in the near future.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
My all-time, number one, favorite film. And the BD is quite lovely. There is some troubled areas sure, but it's the best this has ever looked on home video by far. I HOPE upon HOPE that we see some new Hitchcock transfers for 4K in the near future.

Shame to say but I skipped it when I bought the universal blu ray set. I did watch a few minutes of it a few weeks ago. I had the DVD for years.
I go in seasons with Hitchcock where I watch a lot of them.

When I was single a buddy and I had a weekly tradition of dinner and Watching a Hitchcock film.
A lot more time back then too!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
With the exception of today's recent 3 Posts, this thread dropped out of sight as of Oct. 23, 2015.
Two years passing seems like a long enough time to refresh ourselves.
Yup, with the exceptional praises now bestowed upon the 4K UHD releases of "Blade Runner" and "Close Encounters", it leads me to ask if there are any possibilities that "Vertigo" and "Rear Window" may be receiving their own 4K UHD release, as well?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks