1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Vertigo -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 24, 2012.

1. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Well-Known Member

Anthony
    Loved that crazy foreign censorship ending. I haven't watched the Blu ray yet to see if it's been slipped across as an extra....

2. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Member

Peter Hayes
    As promised, here is my report on VERTIGO in 70mm as screened last night/this morning in Melbourne, Australia.

We were told to turn our phones off at 10.05 pm, so I can't state exactly when the movie started. Obviously it was about a minute or two after that; so around 10.06 or 10.07. By my phone (turned back on at the end), the final credit (of the restoration credits) appeared on screen at 12.14 am. So the film ran last night for around 127 or 128 minutes in total.

Fade in on Midge at the easel: I felt we saw a bit more here than the DVDs, but not quite as much as on the prerestoration laserdisc.

The third stupid: we got to see Midge's mouth form the start of the third "stupid" but we definitely did NOT see her spit the whole word out as she does on the prerestoration LD.

Corridor/cityscape: the transition lacked the overall fluidity of the LD; the fade out, pause, and fade in didn't have the unified feel that one gets on the LD.

I timed the last four shots (with my stopwatch) at 25.59 seconds in total.

This consists ofJudy says no (108 frames)Cut back to nun (24 frames)Cut back to Scottie (17 frames)Cut back to nun and track back (final shot of the movie).

This leads to the result that the final shot ran 19.38 seconds, which is (realistically, ie allowing for reaction time) indistinguishable from the region 2 DVDs.

I have watched the "stupid" fade out on region 2 DVD again today, and it's just how I remember it in the cinema last night.

So the bottom line is that the region 2 DVDs appear to be very faithful transfers of the Harris/Katz restoration (unlike the region 1 DVDs).

Osato likes this.
  3. Osato

Osato Well-Known Member

Awesome. Thanks for the post!

4. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Osato likes this.
  6. AstonMartin007

AstonMartin007 Active Member

Stumbled across another rare promo shot...Scottie the art critic:

[​IMG]

Between this and the zombie shot, I wonder who was actually handling the publicity...

7. jsteed

jsteed Member

Always been a huge fan of Kim Novak. I don't think any other actress could of played the role as well as Kim Novak. I also really like her in Bell, Book, and Candle. Great actress.

Osato likes this.
  8. DoCaRa

DoCaRa Member

Calan
    I have to say, this is very disappointing to hear, especially after the generally positive initial response. Just out of curiosity, what would your assessment of this disc be after all this time and closer inspection, in terms of rating?

Osato likes this.
  9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Disappointing.RAH

cannon1 and Osato like this.
  10. DoCaRa

DoCaRa Member

Calan
    Well, that's very unfortunate for many reasons. This should be a good reminder to research before buying.

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Will you be changing your rating on page 1 of the thread. ?

DoCaRa and Osato like this.
  12. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Well-Known Member

Keith Cobby
    I bought the UK release in September and it was much as I expected after reading the posts on HTF. Overall I am slightly disappointed but not surprised by the image quality. However, I thought the exterior scenes in and around San Francisco were excellent, as good as anything from a VistaVision film on blu-ray. The scenes on set were not as good, and as seems to be usual in a Hitchcock film of this period, the process photography and back projection slightly let it down.

13. Douglas R

Douglas R Well-Known Member

Doug
    I'm not in the least bit disappointed with VERTIGO. it looks fabulous to me. So there :D

14. Mikey1969

Mikey1969 Well-Known Member

Michael Fox
    Kim Novak was brought into films as a Marilyn Monroe substitute (ironically Novak's real first name was Marilyn) and she was "manufactured" to a certain extent by the studios (especially by Harry Cohn at Columbia). She never really fit the "dumb blonde" mold and was a good actress, who could be very compelling with a good director. Hitchcock wanted Vera Miles for the part and didn't really care for Novak, but thanks to her talent and (more importantly) malleability, Hitchcock got a very compelling performance out her, and she matches surprisingly well with the very talented James Stewart.

Osato likes this.
  15. DoCaRa

DoCaRa Member

Calan
    Yeah, I've sampled a few scenes from the blu-ray, and recall being most impressed by the outdoor sequences too, and I suspect this explains in part why so many websites rated this disc so highly. It's too bad when such a high-profile film like this doesn't get the treatment it deserves, when there are companies like Criterion who put out glorious releases of obscure art films like Marketa Lazarova.

16. Mikey1969

Mikey1969 Well-Known Member

Michael Fox
    Vertigo looks good on blu-ray, but it could, and probably should look a lot better. Universal could have digitally built upon the late-90's Harris-Katz restoration and truly presented and preserved the film as Hitchcock intended. Especially considering the interest and sales of this title in many formats. I would have much rather they handled it as Warner does their classics; spending the time and money as needed and releasing them gradually.

17. mark brown

mark brown Well-Known Member

Amen. We saw the 70mm Harris restoration at Seattle Cinerama in September and it was the highlight of the festival. Saw the Universal blu ray for the first time a month later and we were really disappointed. Still do not understand why Harris' restoration was not the basis for the blu. mdb

18. Tom Logan

Tom Logan Well-Known Member

Now I'm really confused. I thought Harris' restoration WAS the source for the Blu-ray. Wasn't it?

19. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    It was not. The studio decided to set our work aside, and try it themselves. This could easily have been a home run, but in this case, the player was thrown out trying to steal second.

RAH

lark144 and Osato like this.
  20. Tom Logan

Tom Logan Well-Known Member

Thanks for answering and for the apt (though depressing) metaphor.