What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Up -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
1 Finding Nemo, Incredibles maybe
2 Incredibles (all sorts of guns/weapons, not sure what you mean by real-looking)
3 Finding Nemo, Coral's death layed the groundwork for UP afaic

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

I may (again) be in the minority, but having just viewed Pixar's (Disney) Up, and its amazing display of digitally produced depth and color, I don't see what's to be gained by this new-fangled 3-D thing.
Robert Harris is in good company: Roger Ebert has stated that he thinks the loss of vibrancy more than offsets any gains from 3D. (I think are merely technical problems, solveable with engineering)

But, with due respect, when I read such comments, I see:

I may (again) be in the minority, but having just viewed MGM's The WIzard of Oz, and its amazing display of tone and shadow, I don't see what's to be gained by this new-fangled color thing.
The rejection out of hand of 3D, to me, feels like the rejection of surround sound, color, and even "talkies" in previous decades as mere gimmickry. But after watching Coraline and Up in 3D, I thought I was watching the next major technical step in cinematic and artistic expression.

While he may not care for it after viewing, I'd be interested in Mr. Harris's opinion after watching Up in 3D.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
IMO the intensity of the violence in Up is second only to the that in The Incredibles as far as Pixar films go. Remember, the latter had:

the discovery of dead rottting corpses plus the villain getting killed on-screen at the end

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by DaveF

Quote:

Robert Harris is in good company: Roger Ebert has stated that he thinks the loss of vibrancy more than offsets any gains from 3D. (I think are merely technical problems, solveable with engineering)

But, with due respect, when I read such comments, I see:
The rejection out of hand of 3D, to me, feels like the rejection of surround sound, color, and even "talkies" in previous decades as mere gimmickry. But after watching Coraline and Up in 3D, I thought I was watching the next major technical step in cinematic and artistic expression.

While he may not care for it after viewing, I'd be interested in Mr. Harris's opinion after watching Up in 3D.
Are you talking about the 3-d blu ray or in a theater.
I watched the 3d Coraline for about 30 minutes and then had to switch to the regular-d because it was almost black and white.
It wasn't worth it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD

Are you talking about the 3-d blu ray or in a theater.
I watched the 3d Coraline for about 30 minutes and then had to switch to the regular-d because it was almost black and white.
It wasn't worth it.
Theater. I thought the 3D version of Coraline in the theater was so marvelous, I'm uncertain of buying the normal version for home viewing.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Can't go by what you saw in the theater, this is a different process.
One that isn't very good.
The good is that the home version has both.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
With what I've personally seen of RealD and Dolby3D, those "digital 3D" formats can work well if they are installed on appropriately sized movie theater screens. The short version of that is "digital3D" doesn't work well on big movie theater screens. RealD and Dolby3D have serious problems achieving proper brightness on medium to large sized screens. IMAX-3D (the film-based version, not 2K digital in name only version) is the only 3D process that works well on giant-sized screens.

I enjoyed watching Up in 3D. I think Pixar did a tasteful job in how they handled the 3D translation. The results weren't nearly as "in your face" as Monsters vs. Aliens or Beowulf. Still, I don't think I'm missing a great deal in having 2D only with the new Blu-ray version. Up is a wonderful movie whether it is seen in 2D or 3D.

The first act, "married life," was created in the best tradition of silent films. In "screenwriting 101" they tell you show don't tell. That's all the first act of Up does. I think that approach allows the emotions of the first act to resonate much more strongly. The audience fills in what sort of dialog might have taken place within their imagination. Or they just "feel" the scene. Many are moved to tears over this. Silent movies had that sort of power because they were forced to show instead of tell. The technique is a brilliant move on the part of Pete Doctor and the others at Pixar. Viewers are not going to automatically like an old curmudgeon character. When they have ridden along to see how Carl had loved and lost the audience is already on his side. We get why he is bitter and insanely devoted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks