What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Tora Tora Tora -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
JNagarya said:
The website is on the Internet, which is a public space. It is not the equivalent of one's private home. It is the equivalent of setting up a soap box on a street corner where those listening are not prohibited speaking.
Those are points of law, not of "politics".
This is Mr. Epstein's site. He can set up the rules as he sees fit. If your account has not been deleted yet, just stay off the site. It amounts to the same thing.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by JNagarya /t/316847/a-few-words-about-tora-tora-tora-in-blu-ray/60#post_3942701
My ccomment was in context.
But as said, I oppose gag orders as being juvenile cowardice.
But let's discuss books instead -- but only their titles and bindings.

I also oppose gag orders but at the same time i respect the rules of this site, your posts actually come across as just a tiny bit hostile, i take back what i wrote above in post 73, let's stick to discussing films and their transfers at this site, also one last thing but why 3 separate postings when you can write it all in one post.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JNagarya said:
But as said, I oppose gag orders as being juvenile cowardice.
Your comments are only posted to stir up trouble and have no point to the topic at hand. The ban on so-called controversial topics is simply there to keep things friendly amongst actual participants of this board because topics like politics or religion can create bad blood that bleeds into other discussions and when that happens, this place becomes a battle ground rather than a place to discuss home theater topics.
Anyway, we're all hypocritical jingoisitc sheep and you're a true hero. Do you feel better now? I didn't think so.
JNagarya said:
I asked that my account be deleted. That has been ignored.
I get the feeling that it soon will be. You'll be missed.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Professor Echo said:
Anyone else watch this great movie yesterday to honor the 71st anniversary? Wow, what a transfer!
I watched it this past Friday night. And I agree, the transfer is wonderful.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
SteveJKo said:
I watched it this past Friday night. And I agree, the transfer is wonderful.
I agree as well. In the Reference Quality Blu-rays thread, I included Tora, Tora, Tora in my list of exemplary BRDs.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Saw this about a year ago and liked it a lot. As others have said, it's reference quality...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson /t/316847/a-few-words-about-tora-tora-tora-in-blu-ray/60#post_4011606
Funny - I didn't remember this as a great transfer, but I consulted my review and apparently I DID think it looked great!

http://www.dvdmg.com/toratoratorabr.shtml

It's a good think I write reviews or I'd never remember anything I'd ever thought!

Naoki

Auditioning
Real Name
Naoki Nomura
I got my copy recently, and happy to find that the picture quality looks better than my JP box version.
By the way, if you are still curious about this movie and Akira Kurosawa, this book is DEFINITELY must-read.
http://www.amazon.com/All-Emperors-Men-Kurosawas-Harbor/dp/155783850X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1KG9RDLAAZUT3&coliid=I2DJ5LSLP4T93K
The original title is "Kurosawa Akira vs Hollywood ; the secret and mystery of the production of Tora Tora Tora", which was published in 2006. Since them, it became the most popular Kurosawa related book. The author, Mr. Tasogawa was a student of Donald Richie (yes, that Japanese film scholar ) in Waseda university, and was recruited by Mr. Richie as a scrip translator for the production.
This is the first and only book about the account of what was happening behind the production, which end up Mr Kurosawa being fired. But the real main character here is Mr Elmo Williams, who literary spent his blood, sweat and tears for completing movie(and also Darryl F Zanuck). Mr. Williams will be 100 years old by next year. For long time, he wanted to see this book released in English. I hope he is happy with this book.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
By the way, if you are still curious about this movie and Akira Kurosawa, this book is DEFINITELY must-read.
http://www.amazon.com/All-Emperors-Men-Kurosawas-Harbor/dp/155783850X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1KG9RDLAAZUT3&coliid=I2DJ5LSLP4T93K
The original title is "Kurosawa Akira vs Hollywood ; the secret and mystery of the production of Tora Tora Tora", which was published in 2006. Since them, it became the most popular Kurosawa related book. The author, Mr. Tasogawa was a student of Donald Richie (yes, that Japanese film scholar ) in Waseda university, and was recruited by Mr. Richie as a scrip translator for the production.
This looks like a great buy – but how is the translation??
This is the first and only book about the account of what was happening behind the production, which end up Mr Kurosawa being fired. But the real main character here is Mr Elmo Williams, who literary spent his blood, sweat and tears for completing movie(and also Darryl F Zanuck). Mr. Williams will be 100 years old by next year. For long time, he wanted to see this book released in English. I hope he is happy with this book.[/quote]

Naoki

Auditioning
Real Name
Naoki Nomura
Hello, thank you for your reply. I bought it form iBook store, and happy to report that the translation was done very well. The biggest surprise was that the book contains foward by film scholar Peter Cowie, and Elmo Williams(!), written in 2012. Mr. Williams's words are very thoughtful, and I think this is the biggest bonus for this English version. I've had original JP version for years, but this English version is definitely worth adding to my collection.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
People have noted that, at least on original release, Tora! Tora! Tora! lost money. Given that it's now been re-released at least once and been issued on every video format save UHD (and would anyone be surprised to see it issued in that also?), I suspect that by now it has gotten into the black.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I watched this again for the first time since buying the disc. Have decided it is not a film i will llikely watch again. Not a keeper so giving it away.

Dramatically it's a dull film. I saw it originally in 70mm and thought it very disappointing. I have the disc but haven't had the enthusiasm to watch it yet!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Wonder why so many films about Pearl Harbor aren't really that good? Tora Tora Tora's balanced approach is dull, as Doug wrote above. Almost like they didn't want to offend anyone. It's very antiseptic, too. During the attack there's even a comical bit that seems out of place, even if it is true. (I'm referring to crew members raising the flag to the band playing the Star Spangled Banner and running back and forth across the deck while a Japanese Zero is strafing them while they feel the insistence to complete the task.)

Then there's Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor which plays like a video game.

I'm currently watching the 1978 mini-series Pearl. It feels like watching Dynasty, though it benefits from location filming in Hawaii. Many mini-series of the day suffer now from obvious backlot filming. Pearl uses footage of the attack from Tora Tora Tora, and why not really? It's adult themes feel somewhat cheesy as played on network television of the day. It says it's based on a novel by Richard Green, but the internet isn't offering up any info to corroborate that.

i just don't think there's been any kind of definitive version of this event portrayed in films or TV as there is for, say, D-Day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks