What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Titanic -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I've got the "pop"!

And that's pretty much what it is, a polite little pop that's so cute it belongs inside quotation marks. Like a little pop on a vinyl record. It's on the DTS tracks, on both the 3D and 2D discs.

You know the first three notes of the musical scale? Do Re Mi? There was some movie about that, if memory serves. Well, it just happens that the vocal of the song starts with "Do Re Mi" and the pop is between "Re" and "Mi".

I get the pop on two systems: Oppo BDP-93 through a Pioneer receiver, and an old Costco-Sony Blu-rayl player through Onkyo HTIB receiver. The latter doesn't recognize lossless, but it pops nonetheless. Again, DTS only. I checked every damned audio track and I know those three notes by heart now.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Could it be that it's hardware related? LIke that the sub goes so deep, it can't be held on some set-ups?

When we first saw Prometheus at the press screening, the whole sound went out during the climax when a big rumble came out. They rewinded 3 times and it went out again 3 times. They finally had to lower the sound for it to play till the end.

I think there is some deep bass booming in that soundtrack in that part. Or maybe it's a treble pop? If some frequency is hit to high or low, it might give up on some set ups.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
We couldn't hear it on our system.
We're just using a 5.1 system which is decoding the DTS "core", though, so perhaps that's the reason.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/323412/a-few-words-about-titanic-in-blu-ray/90#post_3974832
I just listened to the beginning of both my new 2-D BD and my CE DVD.

There was no "pop" on either disc at :29 (just before the vocals start).

There is a very low frequency musical that begins just before the vocal and continues underneath. And, as James notes above, the DTS-HD MA track of the Blu packs a far greater wallop than the DVD's DD 5.1 Surround EX track.

There is definitely no "pop" anywhere to be found...just the appropriate soundtrack music.
One other thing I forgot to point out...since I was fixated on any audio issue...is that the Paramount logo at the beginning of the film has been changed to the current 100th anniversary logo featuring the Paramount stars skimming across the water.

Also, the original Call THX info. at the end of the credits is gone. It has been replaced by restoration/remastering credits. Do you like the new logo? I like it.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
With regard to the audio issue, I concur with Charles...to my ears there is absolutely an unnatural "pop" there, unrelated to what the bass is doing, on the third note of Sissel's opening vocal. It's not a particulary sharp, "digital"-sounding pop, but it's there. I have it on the 5.1 tracks on both the Blu and DVD included in my set (the non-3D version), which suggests a minor glitch in the master track. To compare, listen to both the included 2.0 tracks, which are unaffected.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Mike Frezon said:
One other thing I forgot to point out...since I was fixated on any audio issue...is that the Paramount logo at the beginning of the film has been changed to the current 100th anniversary logo featuring the Paramount stars skimming across the water.
Is this on the 3D version or both? I suppose I can check on my discs but I don't want to get up lol.
My feeling is, if it's a reworking of some kind, they are valid to put a current logo on it, which Titanic 3D certainly is (plus the 100th logo looks so great in 3D)
I'd feel like the old logos would be appropriate for the 2D version though...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
Is this on the 3D version or both? I suppose I can check on my discs but I don't want to get up lol.
My feeling is, if it's a reworking of some kind, they are valid to put a current logo on it, which Titanic 3D certainly is (plus the 100th logo looks so great in 3D)
I'd feel like the old logos would be appropriate for the 2D version though...
I only got the 2D version. That's where the logo was different.

The CE DVD started with one of those kickass THX logos (the sound of science), the paramount logo and then the film.

The 2-D Blu started with the new Paramount logo and then the film.

To answer Eric's question, I "like" the new anniversary Paramount logo...but it's not what was on the original film.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Mike Frezon said:
I only got the 2D version.  That's where the logo was different. 
The CE DVD started with one of those kickass THX logos (the sound of science), the paramount logo and then the film.
The 2-D Blu started with the new Paramount logo and then the film.
To answer Eric's question, I "like" the new anniversary Paramount logo...but it's not what was on the original film. 
the new logo is on the 3d version as well.
Jacob

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/323412/a-few-words-about-titanic-in-blu-ray/90#post_3977181

In Europe we have always had the Twentieth Century Fox logo since they distribute it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks