What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Time Bandits (Region B) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have recently purchased from the UK the Ealing comdies like The Lavender Hill Mob and Wiskey Galore where the blu-rays were made from a 2K scan restoration and for about $15 each a great deal from where i bought them. Also bought DeSica's Miracle In Milan and Welles's Touch of Evil both at great prices. Very happy to find out that The Remains of The Day (1993) is a all region blu-ray and has a great looking picture.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
tele1962 said:
I think so, it's a perfectly valid question.

Or can you answer for him?
You're asking this question to the man who performed the 1988 restoration of "Lawrence Of Arabia", the 1994 restoration of "My Fair Lady" and the most recent film restorations of "Vertigo" & "Spartacus"...it goes without saying that the man has industrial-quality professionally-calibrated home theater gear...

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
lukejosephchung said:
You're asking this question to the man who performed the 1988 restoration of "Lawrence Of Arabia", the 1994 restoration of "My Fair Lady" and the most recent film restorations of "Vertigo" & "Spartacus"...it goes without saying that the man has industrial-quality professionally-calibrated home theater gear...
Thanks for answering my question, I just needed to know how he was viewing the Blu Rays he has commented on. As obviously you know thanks again for answering that question for him.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
schan1269 said:
I'd be curious if RAH would list his main theater gear(assuming he has minor theatres in his bedroom...etc)...

We lesser peons would probably get a raging boner from the "gear envy"...
Two Oppo Blu-ray players. My prime player is a 93, while my newest addition for multi-region is a 103.

These are currently wired via HDMI directly to a JVC DLA-RS 50 LCoS Projector, which is tuned every six months. Wonderful piece of equipment, except for 3D, where it's merely adequate.

Audio is sent through an Anthem D2v, which has been upgraded to the most current specs. I love Anthem products, and find pleasure in supporting our neighbors to the north. Great products.

Speakers are major for me, as I grew up with them. My dad was a high fidelity importer of British speakers and gear, as well as Zeiss lenses and cameras. My introduction to serious listening came from Avery Fisher. I know my speakers and sound reproduction.

I've auditioned many, and while one should not take my decision to denigrate any speaker manufacturers, as there are some products ones out there, I've decided that the best for me are Bowers & Wilkins.

I reproduce audio through a eight speaker system, made up as follows:

All, with the exception of my sub, are from the 800 Diamond Series. Diamond isn't marketing BS. Suggest you read specs.

My front left and right are 802s.

My center speaker is an HTM, all three front speakers hitting the scales at around 160 pounds each.

Left, right and rear surrounds are 803s. You can check the specs, but again, these are heavy-weights, coming
in at around 90 pounds per speaker.

Sub is a DB1, and I couldn't be more thrilled with it. It's another hundred pounder with a frequency response +- 3db of 17 hz - 145 hz., and a frequency range at -6db of 15hz to 250hz.

Audio is extremely important to me, and my personal take is that B & W is the only way to go.

My amp is a Lexicon. A seven channel beauty, which I've had for several years, and love.

Screen is a Stewart 1.3 non-perforated.

Waiting for things to settle before I upgrade to 4k.

I found the query re: calibration most humorous.

Hope this is helpful.

RAH

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've ran across the B&W Diamonds more than once in my lifetime buying estate sale goods.

Used AV equipment comprises 40% of my yearly income. (sadly...even with "bills included"...70% of yearly cash flow)

B&W Diamonds I've never kept...for one reason...

People pay out the nose for them. Last pair I bought I got in a lot of 70(odd...some center speakers) speakers. The entire lot of speakers cost $4500. I had a Diamond center and a pair of towers(forget which series). Those sold, by themselves...for $2200(if they were "Audiogon rated"...they would have been a 6).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
JoshZ said:
No Blu-ray player is natively region-free. The manufacturer would be stripped of Blu-ray licensing if they attempted that. In order to make the player region-free, you need a modification. There are vendors who will sell pre-modded players to you (usually at a significant markup), or you can buy the mod chip and install it yourself. In either case, I would assume that the modification in RAH's player requires him to enter a code on the remote and cycle the power to manually switch regions. Most, if not all, region mods for OPPO players are like that.

I've programmed a macro in my Harmony remote to go through the region-changing steps with one button push for my OPPO player.
Precisely.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
schan1269 said:
I've ran across the B&W Diamonds more than once in my lifetime buying estate sale goods.

Used AV equipment comprises 40% of my yearly income. (sadly...even with "bills included"...70% of yearly cash flow)

B&W Diamonds I've never kept...for one reason...

People pay out the nose for them. Last pair I bought I got in a lot of 70(odd...some center speakers) speakers. The entire lot of speakers cost $4500. I had a Diamond center and a pair of towers(forget which series). Those sold, by themselves...for $2200(if they were "Audiogon rated"...they would have been a 6).
B&W Diamonds, should have their own paragraph in wills.

RAH

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robert Harris said:
Two Oppo Blu-ray players. My prime player is a 93, while my newest addition for multi-region is a 103.

These are currently wired via HDMI directly to a JVC DLA-RS 50 LCoS Projector, which is tuned every six months. Wonderful piece of equipment, except for 3D, where it's merely adequate.

Audio is sent through an Anthem D2v, which has been upgraded to the most current specs. I love Anthem products, and find pleasure in supporting our neighbors to the north. Great products.

Speakers are major for me, as I grew up with them. My dad was a high fidelity importer of British speakers and gear, as well as Zeiss lenses and cameras. My introduction to serious listening came from Avery Fisher. I know my speakers and sound reproduction.

I've auditioned many, and while one should not take my decision to denigrate any speaker manufacturers, as there are some products ones out there, I've decided that the best for me are Bowers & Wilkins.

I reproduce audio through a eight speaker system, made up as follows:

All, with the exception of my sub, are from the 800 Diamond Series. Diamond isn't marketing BS. Suggest you read specs.

My front left and right are 802s.

My center speaker is an HTM, all three front speakers hitting the scales at around 160 pounds each.

Left, right and rear surrounds are 803s. You can check the specs, but again, these are heavy-weights, coming
in at around 90 pounds per speaker.

Sub is a DB1, and I couldn't be more thrilled with it. It's another hundred pounder with a frequency response +- 3db of 17 hz - 145 hz., and a frequency range at -6db of 15hz to 250hz.

Audio is extremely important to me, and my personal take is that B & W is the only way to go.

My amp is a Lexicon. A seven channel beauty, which I've had for several years, and love.

Screen is a Stewart 1.3 non-perforated.

Waiting for things to settle before I upgrade to 4k.

I found the query re: calibration most humorous.

Hope this is helpful.

RAH
It really wasn't supposed to be, it was just a simple question that up until I asked it I did not know.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
schan1269 said:
Is that "power cycle" an Oppo thing?

This Orei I have you just have to have no disc in it. Haven't tried "tray open"...but there is no power cycle.

On this Orei it is a straightforward 10 second thing.
It depends on the specific modification. Different players, and even different mod chips for the same player, may have different instructions. The ones I've used for OPPO generally require the player to be powered off and back on to change regions, but there may be options that don't need that step.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
tele1962 said:
Robert can you say who performs the calibration on your system?
I've been fortunate enough to have Kevin Miller taking care of my hardware for years.

RAH

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, when you brought up...AF...my heart palpitated.

I have an original 500 that was restored by my uncle. (also have various Heathkit and Lafayette)

To catch up the rest of the class...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Fisher-Model-500-Radio-20089-f-/141101624450?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20da4fec82

Edit:
Somewhere in the family is the still working(last I saw it) Gramophone my aunt had. For those that don't know what that is...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Replica-Gramophone-RCA-Victor-Phonograph-with-Beautiful-Brass-Horn-/121201218947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3827d583 (didn't bother looking around long enough for a real one)

My aunt that had it worked in the RCA plant in Bloomington Indiana for her entire adulthood.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
schan1269 said:
Hey Robert. Another "crime against the US market"....(definitely a love it or hate it movie...but no matter how you shake out the tone of the movie, the visuals are striking)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Post-Tenebras-Blu-ray-Nathalia-Acevedo/dp/B00CG6IUR6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1382808790&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=post+tenabras+lux
I remember making this posting.

Love Strand Releasing...
http://www.amazon.com/Tenebras-Blu-ray-Adolfo-Jimenez-Castro/dp/B00GU05MXE/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1397944127&sr=1-3&keywords=post+lux (although the SR release "sucks"...but at least the US got it)

I already had it though.

Anybody got this one?

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Robert Harris said:
What I don't do for HTF...

In preparation for examining Arrow's new Blu-ray of The Fury, I added a new Oppo region-free player to my battery of gear.

A quick setup, firmware upgrade, and ready to test. My test disc -- Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits, an odd and delightful film, now somehow over two decades old.

Glad you reviewed this as it is an old favorite of mine! Shoot me for heresy if you must, but back in the summer of 1981, I preferred this not only to Superman 2 but also to Raiders of the Lost Ark as well! IMO it is a very underrated movie and thanks to your glowing review I must cop on BD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks