1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Time Bandits (Region B) -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 26, 2013.

1. atcolomb

atcolomb Well-Known Member

Angelo
    I have recently purchased from the UK the Ealing comdies like The Lavender Hill Mob and Wiskey Galore where the blu-rays were made from a 2K scan restoration and for about $15 each a great deal from where i bought them. Also bought DeSica's Miracle In Milan and Welles's Touch of Evil both at great prices. Very happy to find out that The Remains of The Day (1993) is a all region blu-ray and has a great looking picture.

2. tele1962

tele1962 Well-Known Member

Barry
    Robert are you viewing on a calibrated display?

3. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    You honestly need to ask that??

schan1269 likes this.
  4. tele1962

Barry
    I think so, it's a perfectly valid question.

Or can you answer for him?

5. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Well-Known Member

Luke J. Chung
    You're asking this question to the man who performed the 1988 restoration of "Lawrence Of Arabia", the 1994 restoration of "My Fair Lady" and the most recent film restorations of "Vertigo" & "Spartacus"...it goes without saying that the man has industrial-quality professionally-calibrated home theater gear...

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I'd be curious if RAH would list his main theater gear(assuming he has minor theatres in his bedroom...etc)...

We lesser peons would probably get a raging boner from the "gear envy"...

tele1962 and lukejosephchung like this.
  7. tele1962

Barry
    Thanks for answering my question, I just needed to know how he was viewing the Blu Rays he has commented on. As obviously you know thanks again for answering that question for him.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Two Oppo Blu-ray players. My prime player is a 93, while my newest addition for multi-region is a 103.

These are currently wired via HDMI directly to a JVC DLA-RS 50 LCoS Projector, which is tuned every six months. Wonderful piece of equipment, except for 3D, where it's merely adequate.

Audio is sent through an Anthem D2v, which has been upgraded to the most current specs. I love Anthem products, and find pleasure in supporting our neighbors to the north. Great products.

Speakers are major for me, as I grew up with them. My dad was a high fidelity importer of British speakers and gear, as well as Zeiss lenses and cameras. My introduction to serious listening came from Avery Fisher. I know my speakers and sound reproduction.

I've auditioned many, and while one should not take my decision to denigrate any speaker manufacturers, as there are some products ones out there, I've decided that the best for me are Bowers & Wilkins.

I reproduce audio through a eight speaker system, made up as follows:

All, with the exception of my sub, are from the 800 Diamond Series. Diamond isn't marketing BS. Suggest you read specs.

My front left and right are 802s.

My center speaker is an HTM, all three front speakers hitting the scales at around 160 pounds each.

Left, right and rear surrounds are 803s. You can check the specs, but again, these are heavy-weights, coming
    in at around 90 pounds per speaker.

Sub is a DB1, and I couldn't be more thrilled with it. It's another hundred pounder with a frequency response +- 3db of 17 hz - 145 hz., and a frequency range at -6db of 15hz to 250hz.

Audio is extremely important to me, and my personal take is that B & W is the only way to go.

My amp is a Lexicon. A seven channel beauty, which I've had for several years, and love.

Screen is a Stewart 1.3 non-perforated.

Waiting for things to settle before I upgrade to 4k.

I found the query re: calibration most humorous.

Hope this is helpful.

RAH

9. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I've ran across the B&W Diamonds more than once in my lifetime buying estate sale goods.

Used AV equipment comprises 40% of my yearly income. (sadly...even with "bills included"...70% of yearly cash flow)

B&W Diamonds I've never kept...for one reason...

People pay out the nose for them. Last pair I bought I got in a lot of 70(odd...some center speakers) speakers. The entire lot of speakers cost $4500. I had a Diamond center and a pair of towers(forget which series). Those sold, by themselves...for $2200(if they were "Audiogon rated"...they would have been a 6).

10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Precisely.

RAH

11. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    B&W Diamonds, should have their own paragraph in wills.

RAH

FoxyMulder likes this.
  12. tele1962

Barry
    It really wasn't supposed to be, it was just a simple question that up until I asked it I did not know.

13. JoshZ

JoshZ Well-Known Member

It depends on the specific modification. Different players, and even different mod chips for the same player, may have different instructions. The ones I've used for OPPO generally require the player to be powered off and back on to change regions, but there may be options that don't need that step.

14. tele1962

Barry
    Robert can you say who performs the calibration on your system?

15. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    I've been fortunate enough to have Kevin Miller taking care of my hardware for years.

RAH

16. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    By the way, when you brought up...AF...my heart palpitated.

I have an original 500 that was restored by my uncle. (also have various Heathkit and Lafayette)

To catch up the rest of the class...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Fisher-Model-500-Radio-20089-f-/141101624450?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20da4fec82

Edit:
    Somewhere in the family is the still working(last I saw it) Gramophone my aunt had. For those that don't know what that is...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Replica-Gramophone-RCA-Victor-Phonograph-with-Beautiful-Brass-Horn-/121201218947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3827d583 (didn't bother looking around long enough for a real one)

My aunt that had it worked in the RCA plant in Bloomington Indiana for her entire adulthood.

17. tele1962

Barry
    Excellent.

18. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Well-Known Member

I prefer to remove the region coding from my discs so that they play on all Blu-ray players, not just modified ones.

19. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I remember making this posting.

Love Strand Releasing...
    http://www.amazon.com/Tenebras-Blu-ray-Adolfo-Jimenez-Castro/dp/B00GU05MXE/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1397944127&sr=1-3&keywords=post+lux (although the SR release "sucks"...but at least the US got it)

I already had it though.

Anybody got this one?

20. steve jaros

steve jaros Well-Known Member

Steve
    Glad you reviewed this as it is an old favorite of mine! Shoot me for heresy if you must, but back in the summer of 1981, I preferred this not only to Superman 2 but also to Raiders of the Lost Ark as well! IMO it is a very underrated movie and thanks to your glowing review I must cop on BD!