What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Thunderball - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thunderball, the fourth offering in the bond series, and the first in Panavision is a good looking Blu-ray. Although grain-reduced, much like its earlier counterparts, the Panavision lensing reduces the apparent sharpness so that the resultant image is not as affected by the reduction as the spherical releases.

I've noted the discussion of the pillar-boxing of the main title sequence, and while I don't have any real problem with it, I find it unnecessary. I would also have preferred that it regained its full width a bit more delicately than on a cut.

All in all a high quality Blu-ray release. Also, while it's nice for those seeing the films for the first time to get a sampling of different Bonds, I would have preferred that they be released in chronological order. I especially miss Goldfinger, one of the best of the early Bonds. It seems odd to see the DB-5 without (for those new to the series) an intro to the vehicle. All comes down to marketing decisions, with neither way being correct or incorrect.

Hopefully the entire series of 21 will be released over a relatively short period of time.

Recommended.

RAH

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
As always, it's good to read your comments Mr. Harris. I'll be picking up five of the six releases tomorrow (I'm normally a completist, but can't bring myself to buy "Die Another Day").

I grew up watching most of the Bond movies on TV. ("The Spy Who Loved Me" was the first one I saw in a theater.) I fondly remember ABC frequently airing them on Sunday nights, and my parents would let me stay up late to watch them. I'm eager to see them in widescreen, without an interminable number of commercials.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I too was first exposed to Bond on Sunday nights on ABC (watching a Bond film with my dad was, for years, a (sorry for the bad pun, but it is the most appropriate term) bonding experience for us).

I will be getting the box sets as they appear (well, these first two will be on my Christmas list, so it may be a few months before I get to watch them)--I'm glad I held off getting the most recent SD box sets (I've been borrowing them from my friend to tide me over) as I anticipated the Bond series would be on HDM fairly early on.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I couldn't agree with you more Robert. In my mind Goldfinger is hands-down the best of the Connery Bond films, and I'm very disappointed that it wasn't included in the initial wave of Blu-ray releases. Hopefully this egregious situation will soon be rectified. 8)

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I'm guessing we'll see another wave of releases when "Quantum of Solace" is released on home video this spring.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I have this on my Christmas wish list along with DR NO, Russia and Eyes only. (I never liked Live n Let Die or Another Day.)

Nice to hear they did a good jopb with one of my fav Bond flicks!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
One of my favorites of the Connery's.

Thanks for the post about the film Robert!

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I finally watched this, and the PQ is good. Maybe very good. I must confess that I was a little disappointed in the PQ of the blu-ray of From Russia With Love. I feel that it's a little lacking in detail. I wasn't disappointed in Thunderball. Essentially, Fox missed some "low hanging fruit" on From Russia, but didn't on Thunderball. I know the two films were shot differently (flat vs scope), and thus many differences are to be expected in PQ, but I thought I'd mention what I saw.

I must also mention that I love the job Fox (or whoever) did with bringing the old documentaries into the High Def age. They are still the same docs - word for word, but they look so much better due to incorporation of high def film clips and scans of stills (and a few other tricks).

Looking forward to Goldfinger this spring.

-R

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Osato said:

Thanks for sharing!! Is this movie really 50 already?

"Thunderball" has a special place in my heart for being the first Bond film I ever owned on any format. When I was seeing them all for the first time and renting the VHS tapes, my local Blockbuster had tagged a brand new VHS copy for $4.99 at a time when most tapes were going for $20 or more and rentals were about $4. I'm sure it was a misprice on their part, but their mistake was my good fortune, and it's been a favorite of mine ever since.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Josh Steinberg said:
Thanks for sharing!! Is this movie really 50 already?

"Thunderball" has a special place in my heart for being the first Bond film I ever owned on any format. When I was seeing them all for the first time and renting the VHS tapes, my local Blockbuster had tagged a brand new VHS copy for $4.99 at a time when most tapes were going for $20 or more and rentals were about $4. I'm sure it was a misprice on their part, but their mistake was my good fortune, and it's been a favorite of mine ever since.
Saw many of the bonds on copied VHS initially. Octopussy, then daylights on in the theater. Bought a view to a kill on VHS in the 80s. Later on around goldeneye picked them all up on VHS. Then DVD and now have them all on blu ray.

Thunderball and diamonds have always been my Connery favorites.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thunderball is probably my favorite of the Connerys, but Dr. No is really high on that list for me. Simple but elegant - I've seen it countless times over the last twenty years and it's never lost it's charm.

I remember Diamonds being a disappointment to me when I first saw it, but it's grown on me over the years to the point where it's now one of my favorites. It's often a little silly and over the top in my opinion but even with all of that, it just works for me. (I also love the commentary on that disc, any commentary with Tom Mankiewicz is pure gold!)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Josh Steinberg said:
I remember Diamonds being a disappointment to me when I first saw it, but it's grown on me over the years to the point where it's now one of my favorites. It's often a little silly and over the top in my opinion but even with all of that, it just works for me. (I also love the commentary on that disc, any commentary with Tom Mankiewicz is pure gold!)

I was just out walking my rat and seem to have lost my way...

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I saw "Diamonds Are Forever" when it opened and I loved it, naturally, but I swear that this 16-year-old Bond fan thought that the opening scene with Wint and Kidd blowing up the helicopter was too dark. It may have been the first Home Theatre Forum thought of my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks