What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Wizard of Oz -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

It may not be a cause for not enjoying the film, but these problems need to be fixed. This is a National Treasure and I appreciate all of the work gone into it. But WB needs to acknowledge their mistakes, as well as their successes. IMO, this is unacceptable, especially given the status of this film.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm sure Warner would gladly accept your donation of, say, $500,000 to go back to the HD master and fix these issues that maybe a dozen people will even notice.

All sarcasm aside, nothing is ever perfect. This release is pretty damn close, which says something.

I've "donated" enough money to WB with my purchases over the years. Altering the soundtrack and botching shots, no matter how insignificant they are to some people, is never right. Mistakes happen, but they should have been caught. I'm not saying another word on here about this. I'm done. Let the mistakes remain.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
WB steps up to the plate more times than not, when they make a mistake. They did a fix of one of the Matrix Blu-rays, for ONE frame that was messed up. Even did an exchange for the title.

For the collectors price of this title, which i dont own because of that reason, they should make sure it is done right...100%

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The Matrix Revolutions issue was an encoding error that was a relatively inexpensive fix - re-encode the file.

This Oz issue is something that likely occurred during the Lowry clean-up or the HD master, which is 5-6 steps back in the process, and would be prohibitively expensive to correct.

As for whether it "should have been caught" - those expecatitions are rather unrealistic. People very familiar with the film, such as Mr. Harris, didn't notice it. And at which phase should it have been caught? Ideally at the Lowry clean-up or HD master stage. If caught on the final disc QC an issue like this would likely be approved. After all, it's not a deal killer, extremely few people would notice, and street dates and millions of dollars would be lost if one had to go back to the HD master to fix it.

It's the principle of diminishing returns.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

This Oz issue is something that likely occurred during the Lowry clean-up or the HD master, which is 5-6 steps back in the process, and would be prohibitively expensive to correct.
I'm unaware of any Lowry involvement in Oz.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Sorry, getting my titles mixed up. I think you know what I mean, though - an issue such as this would be from the early stages, during the digital scanning to 8k or other prep work, etc. It's not a fix that would be a matter of flipping a switch or recompressing the digital file.

WB steps up to the plate more times than not, when they make a mistake. They did a fix of one of the Matrix Blu-rays, for ONE frame that was messed up. Even did an exchange for the title.

For the collectors price of this title, which i dont own because of that reason, they should make sure it is done right...100%

I agree with your comments. I know that they do. They have had awesome customer service in the past. That's why I brought this up...they may not even know about it. I wish they would also fix the deleted/altered Garland line, but that's wishful thinking.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
In the future they should definitely pass a test copy or two of upcoming titles to the folks here. Any mistakes not caught by them would definitely be caught by the eagle-eyes on this site. I've often wondered why the studios don't do that, with all the problematic discs (BR and DVD) that there have been in the past several years.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by MielR

In the future they should definitely pass a test copy or two of upcoming titles to the folks here. Any mistakes not caught by them would definitely be caught by the eagle-eyes on this site. I've often wondered why the studios don't do that, with all the problematic discs (BR and DVD) that there have been in the past several years.
Security reasons. The legal problems with such a program would be a nightmare.

dbailey100

Agent
Real Name
David
Yep, I agree. Piracy a huge problem now for the studios.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR

But what about all the review copies that are sent out to HTF members? Those can be pirated too, no?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Review copies are final versions of the disc build, after the QC stages, and are far too close to the street date to make any significant changes to unless a *MAJOR* issue is found, and then that's a loss of a ton of money to do that.

shazzerman

Agent
Real Name
Noel
Hi all,
I'm new here...Just finished watching my "Sing-along" version of The Wizard of Oz, and before you ask, I didn't (sing along, that is). Disc of the year so far. I can see only one blu-ray rendered film with the potential to beat it - if it ever comes to blu-ray: The Quiet Man!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I forgot to check before I sent the disc back to netflix, but isn't there a deleted scene with Buddy Ebson that was included on a previous version?

I didn't notice if it was included on the blu.

The "footage" you are talking about is the song "If I Only Had A Heart" sung by Ebsen before his untimely departure from the film. It is accompanied by costume test/portrait sitting stills. It's on the Blu-Ray.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR

Review copies are final versions of the disc build, after the QC stages, and are far too close to the street date to make any significant changes to unless a *MAJOR* issue is found, and then that's a loss of a ton of money to do that.
Sorry- the point I was trying to make (which I guess I didn't make clearly) was not that review copies would be suitable for QC testing (I know they aren't), but that review copies can be pirated, too.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I got my UK copy today. I wasn't really interested in the entire gift set and the MGM doc, so this was an easy buy. Yes, the cover doesn't look as good as the US version, but that's a small detraction. The 'Sing-A-Long' banner isn't as big as the pictures suggest, so it's not too bad.
Now the movie, I think everything has been said about it, and I agree with those statements. It looks absolutely beautiful.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Are the extras all in NTSC, non-region format?

Originally Posted by Brian Borst

I got my UK copy today. I wasn't really interested in the entire gift set and the MGM doc, so this was an easy buy. Yes, the cover doesn't look as good as the US version, but that's a small detraction. The 'Sing-A-Long' banner isn't as big as the pictures suggest, so it's not too bad.
Now the movie, I think everything has been said about it, and I agree with those statements. It looks absolutely beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks