What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Thing -- in HD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I finally found some time to view portions of Universal's HD DVD of John Carpenter's The Thing last evening.

My initial exposure to the film was as a 70mm blow-up with 6 track audio, projected on a huge screen, and Ennio Morricone's brilliant contribution pumping through the audio system.

In 5.1, and as played via a small (hotel adequate) Pioneer audio system, with tiny surrounds, the track reproduced itself as I recall it.

The image as photographed by Dean Cundey (Apollo 13, Jurassic Park) looked gorgeous on the Pioneer 1920 x 1080 plasma display. The occasional huge bright vistas were never a problem.

With appropriate film grain, and a speckle of dirt reminding us of the film source element, The Thing is a worthy addition to one's HD library.

The Thing is Recommended.

RAH

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

IMHO, this is a very underrated film, and one of John Carpenter's finest. For fans, this is a must have. I have watched the HD version many times since buying it. The HD presentation is the finest, by a large margin, of any home format available and holds up well twenty five years after it's release.

A great film and a fine HD to add to your collection.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
truly excellent and underrated film.
I remember many of the film critics bashed it because it was "too gory".
Worked for me.

:)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i couldn't agree more to mr. harris :)

only thing that doesn't look good is the trailer which is in very poor shape. welp, i fixed it re-editing it and now it looks stunning as it should be :D

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
It made me jump the other night. Not dated.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
If I was willing to part with another $1k (which I'm not) to buy into a 2nd next gen format, this is one of the first titles I'd pick up.

One of my favorites, I'm jealous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks