What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Ten Commandments -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by marsnkc

I just googled Amaray. If you're referring to the 'pie-cut' hub then, yes, those are the best. I've never received a loose disc in one and the individual hub sections are easy to depress. I've no doubt that the 'brother in law' syndrome has a lot - or everything - to do with the sheer incompetence behind the myriad designs. I can imagine the empty knock-offs being given a cursory glance and passed without any testing done with those shiny, circular things they're meant to hold. Time is money, I guess!

I'm referring mostly to DVD cases. I've had a few blu disc dislodgements but at least the softer plastic helps to minimize scratching when these occur. The material used and design adopted for TTC appear to be departures from the reasonably homogenous blu standard. I'm afraid to look!

I'm referring to the hub in the "Amaray Premium," not the "Amaray II" (why they even created "II" is beyond me; when you have the best, why fool with it?). There is a space between the upper and lower halves resembling the Coca-Cola "ribbon." Push down slightly and the disk is released. Until you do, it's held firmly. Never heard it called "pie-cut." I have seen a hub that looks like a sliced pie on some Bu-rays, and it's easily the best of the Blu-ray hubs though still inferior to the "Amaray Premium."

Real Name
Mark
I just picked up the 6-disc Blu-ray/DVD Limited Edition Box from Best Buy yesterday. Had a heckuva time extracting the Disc 1 Blu-ray from the plastic hub built into the stone tablet replica. Anyway, the data side of the Blu-ray has some circular scratches (I inadvertently spun the disc on the hub, which may have resulted in scratching the disc in this way). I now have concerns that the disc may be affected during playback in this area. I would like to play back the section of the disc with the scratches, which are located about 1/4" from the outer edge. Does anyone know where in the film the disc makers placed the "layer switch"? I presume these are dual layer discs, but am not 100% certain. So can anyone here verify: 1. that the Disc 1 Blu-ray is dual layer (50GB), and 2. if so, where in the film the layer switch would be found (i.e. 1hr 25min, or chapter stop i.e. Chapter 14) Anyone else have "disc removal" issues with this set? If so, were there scratches (as in my case), and any playback issues as a result? Any feedback from other HTF members relating his or her experiences on this issue would be much appreciated. Thank you kindly in advance.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Sounds all too familiar. A number of disc-removal issues just like yours have been documented here -- I'm guessing earlier in this thread, but it may also have been elsewhere. As for checking the discs, what I did initially (on all 6 discs!) was jump to every chapter stop and play a little bit, doing some freeze-framing, fast-forwarding and rewinding here and there as I did so. No problems were evident. I've since watched long stretches of the Blu-ray, but not all the way through yet. Good luck!

Real Name
Mark
Chas in CT said:
Sounds all too familiar. A number of disc-removal issues just like yours have been documented here -- I'm guessing earlier in this thread, but it may also have been elsewhere. As for checking the discs, what I did initially (on all 6 discs!) was jump to every chapter stop and play a little bit, doing some freeze-framing, fast-forwarding and rewinding here and there as I did so. No problems were evident. I've since watched long stretches of the Blu-ray, but not all the way through yet. Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. I usually shy away from elaborate packaging of media for this reason, but that Best Buy sale proved too irresistible. So did your discs receive scratches during the process of removal from the packaging? I suppose this is one way we as consumers will find out if it is true what they tell us in the Blu-ray promotional videos that Sony placed on some of their BD titles about the hard protective layer the BD manufacturing process uses to protect the data from typical disc wear and tear. I'll plan on watching all of Disc 1 of "The Ten Commandments" within the 30-day return window (it's the only disc that got scratched). Thank you once again for your reply :)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I remembered posting in detail about my copy, and it was in another thread so here it is in case it's of help:

Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Mine was delivered from Amazon today, and boy was I walking on eggs as I took my time unpacking and examining it, piece by piece, saving tablets and discs for last. It must have taken me ten minutes from slitting the tape on the corrugated shipping box to gingerly lifting out the tablets and laying them on my desk, contemplating how to proceed from there. Unfortunately, by then it was obvious that there was at least one floater inside.

The floater, one of the Blu-ray discs, had an area or two of light scuffing/scratching, and three or four of the other discs had marks on them to varying degrees. I think only one BD and one DVD looked as pristine as new discs normally do. Additionally, one of the hinges that holds the two inner disc flaps in the tablet had a broken end, so it's not secure. The tiny broken off piece was there, so I might try super-gluing it back onto the hinge, though being plastic, matching the two pieces up may or may not be possible.

I carefully cleaned all six discs and placed them in spare cases. Interestingly, the markings on one of them was something that cleaned off, making me wonder what conditions these are being packed in. And what about the scuff marks and/or scratches on the discs that had remained secure on their spindles? Something out of the ordinary is happening in the assembly of these packages.

Next, I took a deep breath and popped in the first Blu-ray. And oh my god...the image was so stunning I almost forgot my mission, which was to test the disc! Finally got into a groove and went through each chapter stop on all three BDs, digressing a bit here and there to sit and be totally awed. Obviously it will take a straight through viewing to assure myself that there are no playing problems. And truthfully, I'm pretty sure that the marks on my discs are only on the protective layer and are very unlikely to cause any problems. There is still no excuse for any of this defacing, however light and however benign, to be there.

The tablets are lovely, and though I'll try to repair that tiny broken piece just to know it's together right, there's no way I can allow myself to keep the discs in there ... ever. Well, maybe the DVDs, since it's unlikely I'll ever have occasion to use them, and providing I convince myself that reducing the load to three discs, they won't have trouble staying secured. But for total peace of mind they should be tested, too; otherwise, why keep them? What an ordeal.

I do like the package design overall, and I actually like the use of magnets to keep things closed nicely. If only the tablets had been designed to hold a regular keepcase which could be removed for frequent use or for shelving with one's other discs.

Real Name
Mark
Chas in CT said:
I remembered posting in detail about my copy, and it was in another thread so here it is in case it's of help:

Thanks, that post was very informative w.r.t. the issue at hand. This is such a great forum :) Happy 4th of July to everybody!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I also had scratches but on my set, it was the standard def DVD's that many scratches. The blu rays had some minor ones. I also sampled each chapter for some stretches. Now I know most of you guys only care about the blu ray discs in this set, but I wanted the DVD's to be perfect as well. I exchanged the set a few times, but each set had problems with the standard DVD's, but I finally got one with good blu ray discs. I wrote Paramount via their site and they emailed me back the next day with a form that asked what the set was, which discs had problems and what the problems were. I got a reply within 24 hours and they sent me replacement DVD's right away! I just don't think any care was taken for the standard DVD's in this set. I've taken the discs out of the tablet and will place them in a multi disc case.

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
I just got the gift set, and now I'm quite angry at Paramount, because of they way they've treated the silent version of the movie. They've used what looks like an nth generation print (very soft) and they've DNRed the hell out of it. Especially the opening credits and all the intertitles, which are so degrained they look like frozen video stills. Still, I'd be reasonably happy with it, thinking there was no better source available. But then they've added an exta feature, which is a segment of 21 minutes from the movie, taken from a color-tinted print, which happens to be Mr. DeMille's personal original nitrate print of the movie. And guess what? It looks MUCH sharper than the feature presentation, and also they haven't bothered DNRing it, so it looks great. Now why wasn't this print used as the main source for the feature presentation? Why? It's so frustrating!

Lidenbrock

Agent
Real Name
Albert GC
I´m puzzled because some surround effects that were on the previous DVD have been removed for the BD, (e.g. slaves scene at the beginning as Demille is speaking or the sound of water in the basket scene) and I haven´t seen any remarks about it

Real Name
Christopher D. Jacobson
(Sorry to revive this thread, but...) How does the Blu-ray for the 1923 film look, and does it feature a good musical score? I'm debating on whether or not to buy the standard Blu-ray release or the gigantic gift set for the sake of having the B&W film in high definition. If the transfer is not all that impressive, however, I'll pass on the latter. This is getting ridiculous with films being released in HD only on expensive box sets that clutter up space. I so much want to own Citizen Kane, Ben-Hur, and The Ten Commandments + the silent film, but not enough to warrant the high-price purchase. Hopefully I catch these during a price drop/Amazon deal of the week.

John Stockton

Second Unit
I have a question for Robert Harris

Was the Ten Commandment BD restoration the same with what was done with the new Spartacus BD ?? Meaning, did they actually restore and scan the original 8 perf Camera Negative ??

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Stockton said:
I have a question for Robert Harris

Was the Ten Commandment BD restoration the same with what was done with the new Spartacus BD ?? Meaning, did they actually restore and scan the original 8 perf Camera Negative ??
Generally the same process that we designed for Williamsburg c. 2005. Same also used for N x NW.

Nothing more needs to be done.

John Stockton

Second Unit
Robert Harris said:
Generally the same process that we designed for Williamsburg c. 2005. Same also used for N x NW.

Nothing more needs to be done.

Thanks Robert. I hope this practice would be applied to every 35 MM horizontal production by all studios.

BTW, this being a large format film, would it not have been more beneficial to scan it at 8K instead of 6K ??

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Stockton said:
Thanks Robert. I hope this practice would be applied to every 35 MM horizontal production by all studios.

BTW, this being a large format film, would it not have been more beneficial to scan it at 8K instead of 6K ??
4k, from perf to perf is fine for 5248.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I've wondered why the original mono English track wasn't included. Instead we get DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, which would default to lossy DTS 5.1 on older systems anyway, and we also get a Dolby Surround 2.0 track that, when matrixed, plays from all channels, not just the center. I would have preferred the original mono track in place of the Dolby Surround.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Fans of this magnificent film might like to know of this equally magnificent new box set:
  • The Ten Commandments 60th Anniversary Original Soundtrack Collection 6-CD set

media.nl

It’s here! World premiere release of the complete soundtrack by Elmer Bernstein for Cecil B. DeMille’s all-time greatest epic and box-office champion! Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Edward G. Robinson, Anne Baxter, John Derek, Vincent Price and many others bring powerful and inspiring story of Moses to vivid life. A lot of hands put in several years to make this release possible: Paramount, Universal Music Group, MGM, Intrada. Six CDs, three premiering the entire original two and a half hour soundtrack for the first time ever - much of it in stereo, also for the first time ever!

Every cue appears, including all of the myriad fanfares, processions, court dances, authentic shofars (eight of them!), percussion tracks, harp sequences, Theremin and Novachord overlays… everything right down to the tiniest tiple, a rare member of the guitar family. All of Bernstein’s magnificent and justifiably famous masterpiece appears intact and uncut, including numerous sequences edited from the finished film! And after the complete score, another 40 minutes of never-before-heard alternates and unused music! Trailer cues! And if all of this doesn’t make the first three CDs ample proof of Bernstein’s genius, enjoy Bernstein himself introducing and playing his major themes in an ultra-rare, recently unearthed 12-minute piano demo prepared for DeMille at the start of the scoring process. CD 4 presents the original one hour soundtrack as released by Dot Records in mono in 1957, CD 5 gives you the then-newly re-recorded 1960 album issued by Dot to meet the growing demand for a stereo performance - this version being newly conducted by Bernstein to closely approximate the original 1957 album - and CD 6 offers the CD premiere of the 1966 United Artists stereo album recorded by Bernstein using new arrangements made by his long-time orchestrators Leo Shuken and Jack Hayes… all of the last three discs are presented from the original album master tapes stored in pristine condition in several studio vaults.

Lavishly illustrated 60-page booklet designed by Joe Sikoryak includes full color reproductions of various album cover designs, authoritative notes by Frank K. DeWald about the production and scoring sessions including dates on the various releases, musician rosters, cue assemblies, pre-production artwork and more. Expert audio restoration work done by Chris Malone. Yes, fans of those glorious epic-era “roadshow” movies with their majestic and opulent scores and just plain ordinary music lovers of all types - rejoice! Elmer Bernstein conducts all 6 CDs. “So let it be written… so let it be done!”

CECIL B. DeMILLE’s THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
(MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE) COMPOSED AND CONDUCTED By Elmer Bernstein​
CD 1 – Part 1
01. Introduction (1:37)
02. Prelude – Part 1/Prelude – Part 2 (5:44)
03. Slaughter Of The Newborn/In The Bulrushes/Bithia’s Bathing Float (3:46)
04. Moses (Long Version) (0:41)
05. Nefretiri/Fanfares/Return Of The Conqueror/Drums And Percussion/Fanfare (1:40)
06. Ethiopians/Drums (0:45)
07. Fanfare/Moses And Nefretiri/New City Underway (4:00)
08. The Advancing Keystone/Mercy And A Tomb Of Rock (3:26)
09. Temple Grain (Final Film Version) (1:13)
10. Hounds And Jackals (2:42)
11. Moses The Builder – Part 1/Fanfare/Moses The Builder – Part 2 (1:52)
12. Obelisk (0:20)
13. The Glory Of Goshen (2:33)
14. Harp For Nefretiri (1:05)
15. Memnet’s Murder (2:15)
16. The Brick Pits (2:12)
17. Death In The Brick Pits (4:01)
18. Intro To Royal Barge/The Royal Barge (3:18)
19. The Die Is Cast – Part 1/The Die Is Cast – Part 2 (5:23)
20. Court Dance (2:47)
21. Take Him Away (2:16)
22. Drums/The Dungeon (2:30)
23. Dathan’s Garden (1:14)
24. Lilia’s Harp/Dathan Bribes Lilia (1:23)
25. Egyptian Border/Moses Crosses Desert (5:33)
CD1 Total Time: 64:49

CD 2 – Part 2
01. Song For Jethro’s Daughters (0:35)
02. Defending The Well (0:52)
03. Mountain Of God (3:30)
04. Jethro’s Daughters’ Dance (1:33)
05. Moses Chooses Sephora (3:23)
06. Sethi’s Death Chant/Royal Falcon (3:02)
07. Burning Bush (1:39)
08. Organ (I Am That I Am) (2:26)
09. Word Of God (End Act 1) (2:17)
10. Overture – Act 2 (Part A)/Overture – Act 2 (Part B) (2:16)
11. The Power Of God – Part 1/The Power Of God – Part 2 (4:08)
12. Well Of Strangers/Royal Barge (Revised) (2:23)
13. Joshua And Lilia/The Shrine Of The River Gods (1:49)
14. The Red River (1:28)
15. God Of Slaves (1:51)
16. Lilia’s Song/Lilia’s Song (Harp Chord) (0:27)
17. Pestilence (1:00)
18. Shadow Of Death (1:16)
19. The Dying Boy (3:02)
20. Lord Of The Underworld (2:21)
21. Shofars/Exodus – Part 1/Dathan’s House/Nubian Drums/Exodus – Part 2 (7:31)
22. Fanfare (Alternate No. 1) (0:15)
23. Fanfare (Alternate No. 2) (0:16)
24. Fanfare (0:10)
25. Exodus – Part 3 (3:10)
26. Death Gongs (0:28)
27. A Hardened Heart/Fanfare/Chariot Assembly/Ready For Battle Fanfares (2:39)
28. Mission Of Vengeance (0:59)
29. Shofars & Fanfares (0:37)
30. Pillar Of Fire/The Red Sea – Parts 1, 2 & 3 (7:40)
31. The Red Sea – Part 4 (0:59)
CD2 Total Time: 66:45

CD 3 – Part 3
01. Mount Sinai (0:35)
02. Spoils Of Egypt/Idolators (Bacchanali)/Forming Of Golden Idol (0:49)
03. The Finger Of God/Golden Idol/Idol Sacrifice/Idolators (Bacchanali)/Bacchanal/Shofar (8:46)
04. The Lord’s Side/End Title (3:46)
05. Exit Music – Part 1/Exit Music – Part 2 (5:16)
Time: 19:19
Total Score Time: 2:30:53

CD 3 The Extras – Alternates And Unused Cues
06. Moses (Alternate) (0:23)
07. Moses And Nefretiri (Alternate)/New City Underway (Alternate) (3:55)
08. Temple Grain (Alternate) (1:12)
09. Memnet’s Murder (Alternate) (3:22)
10. Memnet’s Murder (Revised) (2:16)
11. The Royal Barge (Alternate) (3:23)
12. Court Dance (Alternate) (2:22)
13. Baccha’s Garden No. 1 (2:16)
14. Baccha’s Garden No. 2 (2:15)
15. Baccha’s Garden No. 3 (2:01)
16. Song For Jethro’s Daughters (Alternate) (0:31)
17. Defending The Well (Alternate – Long) (2:17)
18. Jethro’s Daughters’ Dance (Alternate) (1:57)
19. Exodus – Part 3 (Short Version) (1:37)
20. Shofars & Fanfares (Alternates) (0:56)
21. Exit Music – Part 2 (Alternate) (1:45)
Alternates and Unused Cues Time: 32:54

Additional Cues
22. The Red Sea – Part 3/Song Of Joseph (Film Edit) (2:00)
23. The Red Sea – Part 4 (Early Version) (1:34)
24. Exodus (Early Version) (3:12)
25. The Lord’s Side (Brass) (0:15)
26. The Royal Barge (Short Source Alternate) (0:16)
27. Tiple (Wild) (0:31)
28. Drums No. 1 (Wild) (0:26)
29. Drums No. 2 (Wild) (0:30)
30. The Finger Of God – Part 1 (Early Version) (0:37)
31. Trailer No. 1 (0:57)
32. Trailer No. 2 (0:30)
Additional Cues Time: 11:01

Elmer Bernstein ’s Original Piano Theme Demos
33. Theme Of Egypt/Nefretiri’s Theme/Bithia’s Theme/Hebrew Theme/
Theme Of Moses/Possible Short Identifying Themes For Moses/
Sephora-Bedouin Theme/Song Of Joseph – Exodus Anthem/
Joshua-Lilia Love Theme/Joshua-Lilia Love Theme In A Major Key/
Theme Of God/Theme Of Evil (12:36)
Extras Total: 54:40
CD3 Total Time: 76:01

(Original 1957 Dot Soundtrack Album (Mono) COMPOSED AND CONDUCTED By Elmer Bernstein
01. Prelude (5:43)
02. In The Bulrushes (3:23)
03. The Bitter Life (2:09)
04. Love And Ambition (3:53)
05. The Hard Bondage (2:12)
06. Egyptian Dance (2:47)
07. The Crucible Of God (3:15)
08. And Moses Watered Jethro’s Flock (2:17)
09. Bedouin Dance (1:57)
10. I Am That I Am (3:52)
11. Overture (2:13)
12. Thus Says The Lord (3:45)
13. The Plagues (2:11)
14. The Exodus (6:40)
15. The Pillar Of Fire (2:45)
16. The Red Sea (2:35)
17. The Ten Commandments (5:22)
18. Go, Proclaim Liberty! (3:20)
CD Total Time: 60:44

(Original 1960 Dot Soundtrack Album (STEREO) COMPOSED AND CONDUCTED By Elmer Bernstein
01. Prelude (5:07)
02. In The Bulrushes (4:01)
03. The Bitter Life (2:05)
04. Love And Ambition (4:03)
05. The Hard Bondage (2:03)
06. Egyptian Dance (2:52)
07. The Crucible Of God (3:07)
08. And Moses Watered Jethro’s Flock (2:13)
09. Bedouin Dance (1:56)
10. I Am That I Am (3:13)
11. Overture (2:06)
12. Thus Says The Lord (3:39)
13. The Plagues (2:51)
14. The Exodus (6:00)
15. The Pillar Of Fire (2:45)
16. The Red Sea (2:30)
17. The Ten Commandments (5:40)
18. Go, Proclaim Liberty! (3:20)
CD Total Time: 59:56

Original 1966 United Artists Re-Recorded Album (Stereo) COMPOSED AND CONDUCTED By Elmer Bernstein
01. Overture Act I (4:15)
02. Nefretiri (2:36)
03. Court Dance (3:03)
04. Sephora (2:10)
05. The Burning Bush (3:44)
06. Overture Act II (2:06)
07. The Exodus (3:04)
08. Dance Of Jethro’s Daughters (2:02)
09. The Red Sea (2:36)
10. Finale (3:29)
CD Total Time: 29:14

Wow. We are truly spoiled. :)

Last edited:

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Have always loved the score but 6 CDs is a bit of an overkill for me.
Would buy the stereo Dot remake if released separately .
Shame none of it released in hi rez sound.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
4k, from perf to perf is fine for 5248.
So, me being curious as to why 4K is fine for VistaVision and Technirama, am going to the logical conclusion that since 4096 is the vertical axis of resolution [the frame being rotated 90 degrees from "standard" 35mm"], the horizontal axis would be ~6K, as the 8 perf frame has a rough negative AR of 1.5:1, which is later matted [or matted and "unsqueezed" in the case of Technirama]. Am I close?

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks