What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sixth Sense -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
M. Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense is an extremely entertaining and thought-provoking film, and for those who have not yet discovered its charms, to go into the story line could destroy the pleasure of a first viewing.

Disney has released the film on Blu-ray to mixed results. The film has been massaged, with facial tonalities and main set-pieces appearing virtually grainless and slightly electronic, while shadows and darker areas tend to pump slightly with grain.

While I wish that The Sixth Sense would have been presented as film, it does not destroy the image, which still remains relatively sharp and reasonably detailed. The resultant image has not turned to plastic, however turning the deadly knob of grain reduction a bit further may have done just that.

I'm pleased to have The Sixth Sense on Blu-ray, and while I wish the grain situation were otherwise, the image still looks quite acceptable at a proper distance.

Acceptable.

RAH

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Robert,

Do you think the picture issues here are the result of using a high def transfer from 1999/2000 (when the quality of a transfer was not up to today's standards)? All of the picture tweaking done for this Blu release would then qualify as an attempt to make the best of the available transfer.

-R

Cassy_w

Second Unit
To my eyes, on a 73 inch screen, it looks really waxed over. A terrible disappointment and more proof I cannot pre-order anything. :frowning:

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
It is a shame that yet another high profile catalog title has had excessive DNR applied. I guess the only good thing for me is I find this film terribly overrated(probably because I figured out the "twist"/shocker right at the beginning and IMO the movie relies mainly on that for the payoff)
so I have no desire to pick it up.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't think it's over rated, and even after knowing the ending i still think it's a great film to re-watch.

to ad about the dnr, i usually don't notice that stuff but it was too easy
to see especially on the close-ups.

Patton like.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I bought a copy because it's a film I really like. I'm mildly disappointed in the PQ. I watched 1947's Black Narcissus on BD recently and it's closeups had more detail than Sixth Sense. Grain reduction took somethin' out of the film.....Mr. Klean strikes again, dammit! It should of been a bit better.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first 15 minutes of this last night just to take a look. On my 60" display from about eight feet back, I didn't think it looked that bad at all. Yes, some DNR has been used and grain reduced which is NOT good. However, it's still decent looking all in all and worth the purchase if you like the movie IMO.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
The German Blu Ray is region free and has no (or much less) DNR than the US disk. Some EE remains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks