1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Rock -- in BD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    The Rock, the 1996 Michael Bay thriller from Disney's Hollywood Pictures makes it's high definition debut in BD format, and is a quality effort.

Released theatrically at 129 minutes, the BD release continues the use of the special home video version at 136 minutes, and also appears to have most, if not all of the special features previously available on the Criterion SD release.

It's nice when we end up with the best of all release versions in high def, but Disney makes things even nicer for those who previously purchased the SD version of not only The Rock, but also Con Air and Crimson Tide.

These titles have gone through numerous incarnations, and a $10 rebate from Disney is not only a thoughtful concept, but shows respect for those purchasing Disney product and upgrading.

The Rock is a terrific thrill ride, and a quality BD release.

Recommended.

RAH

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    i thought it was a lot of fun.

didnt connery's character call himself a british agent that was locked away by the U.S. for 30 years, or something like that. a nod to him being Bond wothout actaully saying he was Bond.

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Well-Known Member

Paul
    Are you saying there's a way to get 10$ off if you own the SD version of this movie? I'm not a big Michael Bay fan, but I do enjoy this one (Connery always improves a film, no matter how bad, though he can't always rescue truly abysmal ones--this one, though, is among my guilty film pleasures).

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

There is a coupon inside the package with the offer and its qualifications.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Well-Known Member

I gotta say, this rebate for repeat purchasers thing is going to get me to buy these movies, whereas without them I would not have.

Hopefully more studios will go this route.

6. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Well-Known Member

Robert must have some time on his hands. His recommendations are coming fast and furious! [​IMG]

Doug

7. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Well-Known Member

The home video versions of the Rock are longer than the theatrical version? I never knew that. Has the video versions always been like that? I have the Criterion one, so that's the 136 minute one isn't it?

What scenes were added from the theatrical version, anyone know?

I wouldn't mind this moving in HD, I really like it alot, but... I promised the wife when I get my BD player recently I would really limit the double-dipping. [​IMG]

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Well-Known Member

ManW

My wife would approve the double-dip here, especially if I get $10 off for it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

_Man_

9. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Well-Known Member

Must be finished with that restoration of The Godfather. Ready to comment on that, RAH?? Knowing my luck it's all baloney.

10. EnricoE

EnricoE Well-Known Member

i saw the film in theaters back then and i can't remember anything new on the criterion edition. i also had this film on ntsc laserdisc and it's identical what the criterion is.

i do know that many shots where indeed cut from the movie as you can see in the trailer (landing scene with the helicopters at the rock). but anything else i have no idea.

mr. harris, are you sure about this?