1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Odd Couple -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    There are so many comedy teams -- duos, trios, et al, in the history of cinema, that it's difficult to keep track.

Some love the Marx Brothers, and others detest The Stooges.

One team, very much a "buddy" duo, that stands the test of time to the max, is that of Mr. Lemmon and Mr. Matthau in Gene Saks' The Odd Couple, based upon the Broadway play by Neil Simon, which has an interesting history.

It ran from March of 1965 to July of 1967, and was directed by Mike Nichols. Originally Mr. Matthau played Oscar and Art Carney was Felix. Jack Klugman replace Mr. Matthau , who was later replaced by Pat Hingle. Mr. Carney was initially replaced by Eddie Bracken, and then Paul Dooley. Each a great cast.

But to me, the casting of Mr. Lemmon and Mr. Matthau by Paramount created one of the quintessential comedy teams in the history of cinema.

Just perfect in every detail.

Which I can also report about the Paramount HD master used by WB for their new Blu-ray of the film.

Colors and textures beautifully mimic the original dye transfer prints, as produced by Technicolor, of this slick Hollywood studio production.

Just a wonderful Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    And reasonably priced from Amazon. Mine arrived yesterday, and I plan to spin it soon.

3. haineshisway

haineshisway Well-Known Member

Bruce
    Great minds and all. I reported the same thing a couple of weeks ago and expressed surprise at what little had been said.

4. Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal Well-Known Member

Koroush Ghazi
    Fantastic, I was asking about this before, and it's good to hear the BD's quality also confirmed by RAH. I've ordered my copy.

5. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

I had been waiting to see some reviews before ordering this one. Glad to hear I can now purchase with confidence.

The scene where Felix (Jack Lemmon) is clearing his sinuses in the restaurant is one of the funniest I have ever seen on film. It brings tears to my eyes with laughter every time.

Professor Echo likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    In 1968, when I first saw this film at my local movie theater, I didn't think it was that funny. However, I was a teenager then so it's humor probably didn't fit my demographic at that time. However, since then as an adult, I find this film very funny and will try to put this BD on my weekend play list.

7. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

I can definitely understand that. This film does not seem like it would appeal to a teenager growing up in the '60's. I was too young then to see this film during it's initial run, and only discovered it later in life -- after growing up watching the TV series starring Jack Klugman and Tony Randall.

8. PaulDA

PaulDA Well-Known Member

Paul
    Another blow to the wallet (but, really, it's only money :laugh: ). Looking forward to this.

9. BarryR

BarryR Well-Known Member

BARRY RIVADUE
    Tiny correction--Matthau and Lemmon had already been teamed in Billy Wilder's THE FORTUNE COOKIE in 1966. Also, Wilder had been tentatively planned to direct ODD COUPLE but Paramount went for the less expensive Gene Saks.

10. haineshisway

haineshisway Well-Known Member

Bruce
    I'm not sure I've ever believed that Wilder was in any way seriously considered for Odd Couple - Neil Simon would not have allowed it because Wilder would have absolutely done his own thing with the script.

11. Mark B

Mark B Well-Known Member

Mark
    The script. That was my first thought, too, when I read that post. I think Wilder most definitely would have tweaked it.

12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Agreed.Mr. Saks, who is still with us, had his directorial roots on Broadway, and a strong ongoing relationship with Mr. Simon.RAH

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I just spent my morning watching the BD and most of the bonus material. I was cracking up during most of the film especially in regard to Matthau's performance. His Oscar Madison's role just cracks me up. Funny how a film can have such a different effect on you, 45 years later.

14. BarryR

BarryR Well-Known Member

BARRY RIVADUE
    I should modify what I posted; apparently Mr. Wilder was said to have expressed an interest in directing THE ODD COUPLE (given the two stars), but it also implied he'd rework the script, which was obviously not going to happen!