What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Man From Laramie -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't mind the song on the titles of The Man From Laramie, it's sung very slow & mellow & suits the movie, & who listens to the words anyway. I don't think there were as many songs in the sixties as there were in the fifties (Bond films aside), just an impression. I think we get a lot more songs now, but on the end roller this time, well you have to have something playing for those 6-8 minutes.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
One of the title songs that does irritate me is RIVER OF NO RETURN, but I like BUS STOP's title song

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
AnthonyClarke said:
The theme song from River of No Return is very very cheesy ... just like the movie.
And I love them both!
Robert Crawford said:
Yeah, but Marilyn sure looked good in those jeans.
and Mitchum....Mitchum!!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
dpippel said:
Why is this BD selling for $40+ everywhere I can fid a copy online? Am I missing something?
Go to Screen Archives. They sell it for the recommended price.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I think the key differentiator for me is whether it's an actual song versus a cheesy, twangy 60's style "ballad". Most of the 1950s movies fortunately avoid having the latter.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
John Hermes said:
3:10 To Yuma and Gunfight At The OK Corral are great movie songs. Frankie Laine is the Man.
Laine did Man Without a Star, too, right? For me, that's a tie, or maybe even a slight preference for Man Without a Star. (I know we both have the German Blu.)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Dave B Ferris said:
Laine did Man Without a Star, too, right? For me, that's a tie, or maybe even a slight preference for Man Without a Star. (I know we both have the German Blu.)
Yes, Frankie did the title tune to Man Without A Star and also another 1955 Western, Strange Lady in Town.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Let's not forget another film released very recently on Blu-ray Disc - Separate Tables.

Perhaps not the worst title song ever, but bloody hell, it must be close.

Steve W

P

Patrick Donahue

This talk about the opening songs makes me realize that it's kind of remarkable that the James Bond series was able to keep it alive for itself after the trend has basically gone away

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Patrick Donahue said:
This talk about the opening songs makes me realize that it's kind of remarkable that the James Bond series was able to keep it alive for itself after the trend has basically gone away
The Bond adventures, along with the Doris Day comedies are exactly the type of film where this type of opening song is appropriate: movies that are pure fun with no pretense of any deep thought. Unlike, say, SEPARATE TABLES. That the concept works in HIGH NOON is probably due to the fact that it was still fresh in 1952. And it's a great song.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
One of my favorite opening songs (with narration by William Conrad) was for Chisum:

Chisum, John Chisum. Weary. Saddle-worn. Chisum, John Chisum. Can you still keep goin’ on? They’re bettin’ you can’t make it, but you bet your life they’re wrong. So keep ridin’ towards the Pecos, to find where you belong.”

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just got this one. Wonderful film. In fact, it's now in my top 5 of Westerns from the 1950s. And this is a terrific 4k restoration that makes it look like opening night in 1955. Stereo too! Anyway, if anyone's on the fence about whether this one is worth $30, the answer is every penny and more imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks