1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Living Daylights -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    The 15th Bond production, and the first of two from Timothy Dalton, this Blu-ray, which is also a Target exclusive, is another very good looking release.

No problems here.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

andySu and Osato like this.
  2. Robin9

Robin9 Well-Known Member

Robin
    The Living Daylights is one of the few James Bond films I can watch repeatedly. I might buy this BRD.

andySu likes this.
  3. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Well-Known Member

Finally watched it on a large 2:35 screen and it looked pretty darn good - for 10.00 at Best Buy up here cannot complain. I just love the John Barry score and the title/ end credit songs too.

4. AKopola

AKopola New Member

Very happy to hear The Living Daylights has turned out well on Blu Ray. Loved Dalton as Bond. Guaranteed buy for me. The first Bond I saw at the cinema and felt he was a nice change after 12 years of Roger Moore. But no denying Roger Moore was very funny.
    Will not be buying the box set as the reviews have not been great especially Goldeneye. That is unacceptable for a 50th anniversary.

Osato likes this.
  5. theonemacduff

theonemacduff Well-Known Member

Jon Paul
    Yeah but the best part, the absolute tops, is the cargo net stunt towards the end of the flick. DONE FOR REAL!!! No CGI!!! Amazing. For me, the best part of any of the Bond pictures was always the stunt work, the way in which they worked to constantly better themselves. Moonraker kind of sucks from a plot point of view, but the opening, with three guys jumping out of a plane and only two chutes between them .... astounding. Actually, I take that back. It's not so much that it sucks, plotwise, but rather that there is no plot, it's just pure constant motion. And speaking of people jumping out of planes, Gypsy Moths is one that really out to be out on BR, along with Blue Max, and The Great Waldo Pepper (which has a weak ending, but who cares?).

Osato likes this.
  6. Osato

Osato Well-Known Member

7. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Well-Known Member

A criminally underrated Bond, and a pretty solid movie all around.

Oooh, which reminds me - I'd better go find out when Specter is being released and back-time my 1-per-day viewing marathon. Gotta get my 007 on!

andySu, Osato and Randy Korstick like this.
  8. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Well-Known Member

David Matychuk
    I agree. It was also a very impressive widescreen laserdisc in its day, and one I would play for people to impress them with the format. They'd usually be surprised how much they enjoyed that particular Bond movie, and that particular Bond. "Criminally underrated" almost seems too common; I'd go all the way to "SPECTRE-ly underrated"

andySu, Osato and Tony J Case like this.
  9. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Well-Known Member

Joel Fontenot
    I've always had soft spot for this film too. Also, one of my favorite laserdiscs back in the day - the MGM widescreen version, of course.

Unfortunately, all I have now is the old DVD issue from when they issued those box sets with 6 or 7 other Bond movies that spanned the series. The one where the all important location names never showed up on-screen because they were subtitled in and weren't triggered to appear when they were supposed to.

I assume that has since been fixed and is shown properly on the Blu-ray. I never did send in for the replacement disc that supposedly fixed it back then.

Do they use the burned-in version on the BR, or is it still a triggered subtitle?

10. Spencer Draper

Spencer Draper Well-Known Member

Spencer Draper
    The Laser is indeed a great title-arguably the best of the MGM letterboxed scope Bonds from 1989-1993. The SE DVD was reissued with the correct missing subtitles and all are in their theatrical burned in state on the UE DVD and Blu-ray.

Note: this is one of the sourced from pre-existing video master titles, and sadly it loses some of the color and pop from the pre-Lowry editions. The detail is better, but it has an overall flat look to it that wouldn't be there is it had been a fresh non-tinkered with scan. Sad as this is a personal favorite of mine and IMHO the last great Bond film. (Despite adoring all of the original five actors, I rank Dalton here amongst the great performances-he's that GOOD.)

The SE DVD and LD are what I still prefer, and most colorful of all is the old CBS/Fox pan and scan LD. Audio is best on the letterboxed LD in its original 2 ch matrix via PCM. All the 5.1 Bond remixes are rather flat and lifeless-besides the awful remixing on the 60's era, all the 80's films lost a great deal of their punch and nuance. When people disbelieve me on this I like to throw on an action scene from FYEO or the airbase attack in TLD.

andySu, Osato and davidmatychuk like this.
  11. andySu

andySu Well-Known Member

I like the John Barrym bass mid kick on the opening title score, it sets the film up nicely.

I liked the scene were General Georgi Koskov, is put in that tube thing and fired though the pipes it circled around and overhead at the odeon screen 2, that had me looking around and above.

The Hercules plane, is a cool sounding exciting scene. That was an RC model plane on the long wide shot when it takes off if you believe that? Think about it? No pilot is gonna be crazy enough to fly a plane head-on with another plane. I have the Cinefex, the practical models looked great on the film.

I like the end credits it sounded very fitting at the local odoen with Dolby Stereo matrix overhead surrounds in screen 2 what was then a very large true cinema before it was gutted into 5 shoe-boxes in 1989.

Is the Dolby film mix same identral to the DVD editions are you Bond, Q-listener?

Osato likes this.
  12. andySu

andySu Well-Known Member

Early morning showing of The Living Daylights (1987) R2 DVD

Dolby Stereo digital 5.1 with overhead/below surrounds / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73 speakers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

0:06:46 Bond lands on boat canopy on the overhead surrounds, makes me look upwards.

[​IMG]

Is this video fringing artifact present on the bluray that is common issue with VHS Laserdisc DVD but I guess it can been sorted out?

Chapter 6, the phones ringing around the LCR sounds like a real phone ringing. The "Ghetto-blaster" scene :lol: that makes me laugh.

The recorded ambient outdoor scenes at the safe-house sounds like a traditional British, atmosphere of the countryside.

Its been a few years since I last played The Living Daylights, since I installed THX a few years ago. It had nice sonic clear sharpness with sound effects such as weapons machine-guns, during the desert battle and the end sequence shootout at Brad Whitaker, home, some levels was peaking a shy over 85dbA that allowed for as it wasn't bending my ears.

The depth of tank cannon fire and other explosions of desert battle, I could feel the impact occasional in my chest.

[​IMG]

End credits plays off on LR front channels only. In Dolby matrix they'll play on all channels. If I wanted all channels playing its not hard for me to set-up and take the difference form LR though an additional Dolby matrix decoder to take the phantom such as the vocals and put them though centre and blend a matrix ambiance into the surrounds with a mixer and set the pan-pots so that Ls-Rs each gets an equal level.

Additionally I can switch to from digital on the SDDS processor to the Dolby CP500 with smooth untouchable change.

Played the end credits at least over 10 times as it sounds too good.

[​IMG]

Osato likes this.
  13. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Well-Known Member

Keith Cobby
    My favourite Bond and favourite Bond film. Great score and closing song over the end credits. Seeing this at the cinema was a big event, the more recent films have lost their way for me, and I prefer the MI series much better.

Osato, Malcolm R and andySu like this.