What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Last of the Mohicans -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
The Blu-ray is too dark. It did not look like this upon theatrical release. The film was recently shown on Cable HD and it looked fine. Go figure?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since, this is one of my favorite films of all-time, I'm going to revisit it tonight on my new Panasonic TCP65VT50 plasma display in a darken room. I'll report back if my thoughts on this BD have changed with this new display.

I just noticed that this BD is 8.99 at Amazon.

Crawdaddy

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Let us know what you think.
I'm convinced. The light and dark values are way out of proportion. This looks like an activated macrovision run amuck. There is a real possibility that some of the blu-rays were defective when they left the factory, or all of them.
Before anyone asks the blu-ray player is plugged directly into the Sony Bravia via hdmi cable. No inbetween units.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure that Macrovision only applies to Standard Definition Analog outputs and has no presence in High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).
- Walter.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I haven't seen the Mohicans disc, but I have seen a handful of blu-rays that were mastered with the wrong black level - 7.5IRE rather than 0IRE. But this results in the disc being too bright, not too dark.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Walter Kittel said:
The only suggestion I would make to those who find the image too dark is - If you have not done so, try viewing the Blu-ray at night in a low light environment. Personally, I am still quite pleased with this release.
- Walter.
I thought this release was a little bit green and a little bit dark, but overall I felt it closely resembled my cinema viewing experience of long ago...It's still one of my favorite films of all time. It's right up there with Lawrence of Arabia, Man 2, or many, many, many other titles of the first rank.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I played the disc in its entirety while utilizing the THX Cinema setting on my display and thought the disc looked beautiful and had no issues with it being too dark. I'm afraid this darkness issue will remain unresolved between those that disagree with that issue.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Dave H /t/304950/a-few-words-about-the-last-of-the-mohicans-in-blu-ray#post_4005861
Great display you have there! Getting it pro-cal'd?
You betcha!

Crawdaddy

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
Richard--W said:
Well, that's how I watched it. In the dark. Then I compared it to the old DVD which is too bright but closer to how it's supposed to look.
The blu-ray is too dark.
Ditto. My projector is calibrated and other BDs look fine. This one is just absurdly dark. Scenes that clearly take place in sunlight (judging from shadows) look more like dusk. Scenes that take place at night are practically unviewable and often have loads of black crush. (I could prove this with screen caps, but I'd better not go down that route. :P )

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Just curious, how many are watching this on displays with adaptive contrast features active? Could that be skewing the results?
(I haven't watched the disc myself. Just throwing out a theory.)

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
Watched the Region B release of this tonight on an ISF calibrated panel.
Way too dark - to the point of not being watchable. Switching on the "dynamic contrast" actually helped - never had to do that before with any movie.
I appreciate low light movies - most of Peter Hyams films are like this, but this was the worst I've ever experienced.
I have the UK theatrical release DVD - the next time I want to watch this, it will be via the DVD and not the BD.
Although I was well warned in advance - still disappointed.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I watched the Blu-ray on my 120" projector screen. I love it the movie and the Blu-ray! It's one of my favorite owned movies. I have no complaints about it being too dark.
I'll happily watch it many times in the future.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm kinda surprised to see the return of the 'it's too dark/no it's not' controversy re LOTM. I thought it too dark as well, and it is the only title that causes me to change an adjustment on my TV. I don't remember if the Blu-ray looks the way the film looked when I saw it in the theater; but I doubt there would have been a controversy if Mann were not such an inveterate post-release tweaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks