What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The James Dean Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Persianimmortal said:
No problem, I wasn't reacting negatively to your post :)

Is this the scene you're talking about (I just capped this off the new disc):

But you know they're calling that edge enhancement haloes elsewhere - half the stuff they say are haloes are no such thing. And around and around she goes and where she stops nobody knows.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Bob Furmanek said:
From "Hollywood's Conversion of all Production to Color using Eastman Color Professional Motion Picture Films" by John Waner:

attachicon.gif
Giant.JPG
attachicon.gif
Giant 2.JPG
Mr. Waner's book is a great read for the technically minded. If you can find a copy. Quality dupes really didn't arrive until the CRI stock, as noted, but along with it came other problems. Imagine double-duping a film like Giant, along with all of its pre-existing problems.

Once CRI stock came into use, a generation was sometimes saved by making multiple dupes of fx shots, and cutting original dupes into each working duplicate conformed negative.

I don't believe it was until the '80, with 5243, that dupes became relatively transparent to the originals. Our 65mm dupe printing negs of Lawrence were on 43, and looked quite velvety and beautiful.

Today, things are even better. And then there are DIs.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Matt Hough said:
You guys are the best in the business for knowing the ins and outs of these film stocks. Really impressive and a godsend for HTF to have such knowledgeable people here.
There are some people in the business that know many times what I do about film stocks.Tip if the iceberg here.RAH

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Film stock is the one thing I knew inside and out. Back in middle school to heading off to IU I was playing around with medium and large format cameras. My father always had a dark room. He taught me color when I was 9. I never got "good" at color. Black and white is a different story.

Back then though, you could walk into a shop and have 10 different brands of film(of which each brand had 10-15 stocks) and 7-10 different paper brands(and 5-15 different stocks of that).

I knew X brand of film with Y brand of paper pushed...or pulled...would net a desired result before I even set the camera up.

Do I still have that knowledge ingrained in my head? Not in the least.(even if it was still there...90% of the products don't exist anymore)

My high school photog "teacher" didn't teach me anything. He was a door-stop. And he was more interested in the cute students...(being the 80s...you can fathom a guess).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Richard Gallagher said:
For the record the U.K. set, which is region-free, can be had at Amazon.uk for $35 including shipping to the U.S.
Are the DVDs region free as well? I'm currently waiting for a gold box style deal on the US set. I don't care about the big box, I just want all the video content.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Russell G said:
Are the DVDs region free as well? I'm currently waiting for a gold box style deal on the US set. I don't care about the big box, I just want all the video content.
Considering how "cheap" they are now. Find a Pioneer DV420(I have one...not selling it, yet). Plentiful and region free. There are other Pio out there but the 420 does 1080P(which the prior 410? only does 1080i).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
schan1269 said:
Considering how "cheap" they are now. Find a Pioneer DV420(I have one...not selling it, yet). Plentiful and region free. There are other Pio out there but the 420 does 1080P(which the prior 410? only does 1080i).
I get it, but I have even less desire to be running multiple players in my set up than I do having oversized boxsets on my shelves. :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then why have all them HDMI ports... ;)

I'll admit it is sad though...

One of the theatres currently has the 420, Oppo 970* and a Panny DMP-BD77(and for that matter there is a Lenovo ETPC so I don't even use the 77 smart features)

*I originally bought the 970 for the SACD over HDMI. But since I like to watch something else while listening to Hi-Res..I switched it to another theater with an AVR that still has MC. I bought a DV49 for HDMI DSD(again, thanks Gene).

Looking at the theatre in that room, for guests, is an exercise in WTF...???

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Those that purchased the UK version of this set might be interested to know that the extra DVD from the US set (the documentary George Stevens: A Filmmaker's Journey) can be had for as low as $4.99 with Fulfillment by Amazon from Marketplace sellers right now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I love hypocrisy...

We bemoan how screwed we get on releases...but glady mention how to circumvent the US marketplace...which results in fewer/more expensive choices for us to bemoan and circumvent...

Makes you wonder if Studio Canal, BFI and whoever else pay TT, Lorber and Criterion...

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
schan1269 said:
I love hypocrisy...

We bemoan how screwed we get on releases...but glady mention how to circumvent the US marketplace...which results in fewer/more expensive choices for us to bemoan and circumvent...

Makes you wonder if Studio Canal, BFI and whoever else pay TT, Lorber and Criterion...
I'm certain that WB has gotten wise to how savvy Blu-ray consumers treat their new worldwide UCE editions. The James Dean set is just the latest in a series that has been made available in different configurations and at different prices throughout the world. If Warner wanted to prevent people easily importing a cheaper edition (of their product), there are plenty of things they could do about it. They simply choose not to.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
I love hypocrisy...

I don't know what you're talking about as I'm just a film lover trying to collect as many of my favorite films as possible on Blu-ray disc. All of that other stuff you're implying is meaningless to my personal agenda I just noted.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Robert Crawford said:
I don't know what you're talking about as I'm just a film lover trying to collect as many of my favorite films as possible on Blu-ray disc. All of that other stuff you're implying is meaningless to my personal agenda I just noted.
I put myself in the hypocrisy category. I started the thread "little known Region B".I am the pot...

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I just hate that I missed out on that original Amazon $69.99 pre-order price. Since August it has been 89.99 which is only 10% off the retail price. It is obvious WB doesn't want to move many sets at that price. They did the same thing with the OZ box set. And now it costs less than my pre-order price. I will have to pass on the James Dean set for release day since the price isn't the most fetching (we all know it could have been had at 69.99) Yes I know the UK set is cheaper.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Powell&Pressburger said:
I just hate that I missed out on that original Amazon $69.99 pre-order price. Since August it has been 89.99 which is only 10% off the retail price. It is obvious WB doesn't want to move many sets at that price. They did the same thing with the OZ box set. And now it costs less than my pre-order price. I will have to pass on the James Dean set for release day since the price isn't the most fetching (we all know it could have been had at 69.99) Yes I know the UK set is cheaper.
There will most likely be a temporary price drop during the Holiday shopping season.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Was GIANT ever released with true stereo sound? I know many of the video releases, dating back to the vhs, has some sort of simulated stereo. And if it was released at some point in stereo, are these tracks still extant?

Thanks.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jim*Tod said:
Was GIANT ever released with true stereo sound? I know many of the video releases, dating back to the vhs, has some sort of simulated stereo. And if it was released at some point in stereo, are these tracks still extant?Thanks.
No true stereo tracks or stems are known to exist. All original prints were mono. There may have been an attempt at faux stereo for the c. 1967 dye transfer re-issue.RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks