What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey -- in Blu-ray & 3D (1 Viewer)

TomTom

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen Brooks said:
Are we positive about a 2K DI on this movie? I remember reading it was finished at full 5K.
Most of the info I've seen online so far from the press says 2k DI. here is a good technical one from the film's editor-

http://www.definitionmagazine.com/journal/2013/2/19/winning-the-frame-game.html

I would think they have their reasons. and probably 48fps was one of them. Getting the projectors to work by release day and rendering all that footage in time had to be a factor.

Being able to critically eval the blu ray from 2 feet away----I see all the detail I want to see.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Stephen Brooks said:
Are we positive about a 2K DI on this movie? I remember reading it was finished at full 5K.
The Hobbit is a 2K DI, unfortunately. Apparently 4K was no option with all the sfx, and the 3D and 48 fps variants that had to be ready in time.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Regarding 48fps, I went in with low expectations and was blown away. I thought it looked amazing and enhanced the 3D to the point of being one of the best 3D experiences I have seen.And I liked the film very much and look forward to watching it in 3D today.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I did like the film. I didn't love it. I wanted to. The LOTR movies and the books, including The Hobbit, are some of my favorite books of all time. I was okay, with reservations, when I heard they were splitting the story into two movies. Once the decision was made to go for three, I knew there would be trouble. What is good is very good. The problem is that there is a great deal of filler that doesn't propel the story forward and isn't interesting enough to warrant the amount of time it takes up on the screen.

I would have liked to see the HFR presentation, just as a fan of theater technology. Alas, it was never going to be an option in my neck of the woods.

I haven't bought the theatrical BD yet. I'll probably wait for the review of the inevitable Extended Edition. By that time, I'm sure the theatrical version will be able to be acquired for much less.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Saw in 48fps 3D (usually I avoid 3D as it gives me headaches, but I was curious about the HFR). Turns out I didn't get a headache (usually starts about 60-90 mins. into a 3D film), so I'm guessing the HFR helped with the 3D. However, I'm not entirely sold on the aesthetics of HFR--would need to see a few other films to make a more informed judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks