What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey -- in Blu-ray & 3D (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Shot as data on a Red Epic, and taken through DI at 2k in many flavors -- 2D, 3D, 24fps, 48fps, 35mm anamorphic, a blow-up to 70mm IMAX dual-strip 3D…

Am I missing anything?

While I didn’t find The Hobbit film to be quite as enthralling as the Rings films, it’s a high quality entertainment, and down-rezzed to Blu-ray in 3D, works beautifully.

As I mentioned in my Zero Dark Thirty piece, and will again for Lincoln, we’re very fortunate to be at a technological point where home video can beautifully replicate the full theatrical experience, and sometimes better it.

The Hobbit is one of the those perfect discs, that makes that reminds us just how lucky we are.

As a 3D experience, The Hobbit also shines, as I'm seeing no problems, and the technology just works as it should.

Wonder if there's any way to project this via Blu-ray at 48 fps?

Another reference quality disc, and at under $28 street, a steal.

Image - 5

Audio (7.1) - 5

Highly Recommended

RAH

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Good afternoon (UK time).

On the 3-D/2-D issue. If you watch it in 3-D then 2-D do you find anything missing from the 2-D version, or just different.

Steve W

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh wow that would be very cool, but somehow I doubt we'll get true 48fps due to the data not being there. However for those with 120hz or 240hz TVs they can just turn on their "motion enhancers" (or whatever their specific manufacturer calls it) and get a similar effect, though it won't be as silky smooth as if we had the true 48 individual frames per second data on the disc. Their TVs will "up-frame" it to the best of their abilities and give it that smoother-than-life look, but some TVs will do a better job than others...
Robert Harris said:
Wonder if there's any way to project this via Blu-ray at 48 fps?

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Where does the 3D version split the film from disc one to disc two? I'm planning on doing a LORD OF THE RINGS EE rewatch in the next few days for about a week where I watch one disc a night due to... well, not having the time to do any more than that. I'll probably have to split up THE HOBBIT, too, and if the disc split for the 3D version is at some very natural point that makes a lot of sense I'll just ape that for my own purposes.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
TravisR said:
If you saw it theatrically, what was your opinion on 48fps?
I'd love to hear Mr. Harris's take on this, as well.

The video was hyper-realistic, and the fast motion scenes did not suffer from blurring as they often do at 24fps. I can't wait to see what other movies go for the High Frame Rate system.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill said:
I'd love to hear Mr. Harris's take on this, as well.

The video was hyper-realistic, and the fast motion scenes did not suffer from blurring as they often do at 24fps. I can't wait to see what other movies go for the High Frame Rate system.

I've said it many times in other threads but I hated it. Most CG shots looked like a video game and most onscreen movement seemed to move at too fast of a frame rate (like a silent movie being run just slightly too fast). It was just awful looking and based on the presentation I saw, I don't understand how anyone liked it. That being said, reading positive comments on it has made me seriously consider the possibility that the theater I saw it in messed up the presentation somehow or that my brain or eyes can't process the HFR correctly because I can't believe anyone enjoyed what I saw.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
If you saw it theatrically, what was your opinion on 48fps?
I'm used to higher frame rates, being a former PC builder/FPS gamer who used to buy expensive graphics cards to get over 100FPS at high quality (hey when you're playing competitively every frame counts). So 48fps wasn't extremely jarring but it was noticeable because your brain, when you watch a movie, basically sets itself for what it's always known: 24fps.

I wasn't as bothered as Travis, probably based on my videogame experience. I did "notice" it for about the first 10-15 minutes, and then my brain sort of adjusted (or stopped caring) and for the rest of the movie I was fine.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
I wasn't as bothered as Travis, probably based on my videogame experience. I did "notice" it for about the first 10-15 minutes, and then my brain sort of adjusted (or stopped caring) and for the rest of the movie I was fine.

I had heard that people adjusted after that amount of time too but it never happened for me. My whining about HFR aside, I was surprised by the semi-negative comments surrounding the movie because I thought it was alot of fun and I look forward to the other movies.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I had heard that people adjusted after that amount of time too but it never happened for me. My whining about HFR aside, I was surprised by the semi-negative comments surrounding the movie because I thought it was alot of fun and I look forward to the other movies.
My opinion on the movie:

[*]As an adaptation of The Hobbit - not very good in terms of being faithful. And overly long. 3 movies for a book that's 1/6 the length of LoTR (which also took 3 movies)?
[*]As a movie that contains the story of The Hobbit, plus other ancillary Tolkien materials, plus stuff PJ&Co just straight made up, and viewed as a "Prequel to the Lord of the Rings movies" and not as a true adaptation of the novel - it was fun and I too had a blast.
[/list]

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The Hobbit, a great book, a favourite book, a short book! This may read as heresy but I have always been disappointed that the material would be spread out to some nine hours. After the three films have finished their theatrical runs and Blu-rays distributed, do you think a single three hour edit will be produced for me containing the actual story?

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
Keith Cobby said:
The Hobbit, a great book, a favourite book, a short book! This may read as heresy but I have always been disappointed that the material would be spread out to some nine hours. After the three films have finished their theatrical runs and Blu-rays distributed, do you think a single three hour edit will be produced for me containing the actual story?
I'd be all over that. In terms of length I always thought of The Hobbit as LOTR "Lite" and I would have loved to have seen the movie go that way. I understand it's about creating a cash cow and getting the most revenue out of something but I would have loved to have seen it as one single movie without any fluff.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I've said it many times in other threads but I hated it. Most CG shots looked like a video game and most onscreen movement seemed to move at too fast of a frame rate (like a silent movie being run just slightly too fast). It was just awful looking and based on the presentation I saw, I don't understand how anyone liked it. That being said, reading positive comments on it has made me seriously consider the possibility that the theater I saw it in messed up the presentation somehow or that my brain or eyes can't process the HFR correctly because I can't believe anyone enjoyed what I saw.
Interesting to see the differing opinions. The real question is, did the 48 fps aspect prove to be sufficiently popular to encourage its further use? The impression I get is that the moviegoing public as a whole was underwhelmed. That implies the answer is "no".

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
MattAlbie60 said:
Where does the 3D version split the film from disc one to disc two? I'm planning on doing a LORD OF THE RINGS EE rewatch in the next few days for about a week where I watch one disc a night due to... well, not having the time to do any more than that. I'll probably have to split up THE HOBBIT, too, and if the disc split for the 3D version is at some very natural point that makes a lot of sense I'll just ape that for my own purposes.
The film splits at the end of the scene where the two Orcs report losing the dwarves and the Defiler throws one of them to the Wargs then sends his minions out after the dwarves.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Keith Cobby said:
i would love to see something like this. I thought the first film was way too long and drawn out -- and I am a big fan of the LOTR films. I cannot image the movie getting an extended version.. that would be torture. :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks