What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Color Purple -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It is my humble opinion that marketing a film like The Color Purple as part of group of black heritage titles, lessons the import of the film. While the majority of the characters in the film are of black heritage, The Color Purple is a film that transcends race, and should be more considered as a film about humanity.

I'll be short and sweet in this coverage.

Scanned from the original camera negative, and overseen by cinematographer Allen Daviau, Steven Spielberg's The Color Purple is an extraordinary cinematic achievement, and thanks to Warner Bros., is a perfect representation of this important film on Blu-ray.

For those who follow such things, The Color Purple was nominated for 11 Academy Awards.

Everything regarding this Blu-ray spot on.

Very Highly Recommended (for people of all colors and shades).

RAH

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
While its themes can apply to all peoples of all ages, "The Color Purple" is about a certain time in African American history and a particular group of African Americans (though ficticious) representative of that time and culture. "The Color Purple" is a very important film, but to none moreso than the African American community as a whole. It is a highly revered and loved film among African Americans; many of them site it is their FAVORITE film.

While it can and should be embraced by people of all races, backgrounds and cultures, let us not "lessen its importance" to African Americans in particular. It IS a part of Black heritage, a very important part. People don't have to take it out of the hands and hearts of African Americans in order to embrace it as their own as well.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Mike Williams

While its themes can apply to all peoples of all ages, "The Color Purple" is about a certain time in African American history and a particular group of African Americans (though ficticious) representative of that time and culture. "The Color Purple" is a very important film, but to none moreso than the African American community as a whole. It is a highly revered and loved film among African Americans; many of them site it is their FAVORITE film.

While it can and should be embraced by people of all races, backgrounds and cultures, let us not "lessen its importance" to African Americans in particular. It IS a part of Black heritage, a very important part. People don't have to take it out of the hands and hearts of African Americans in order to embrace it as their own as well.

I couldn't agree more. My fear, and comments, were more in terms of affecting some potential buyers who might look at it as a "black" film and not step up to the plate and add it to their libraries. Of course, its a film that would be embraced by the African American audience, but I want to make very certain that it isn't in any way limited as such. I'm also a huge fan of Spike Lee's X, the other Blu-ray in the current campaign, which I have not yet seen. Interestingly, the third film in the promotion is Carl Seaton's Of Boys and Men. only available in standard definition.

RAH

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It is such a great film and I'm so pleased to hear that Warner did it right by rescanning the negative and giving us a perfect picture. Would Oprah be as rich and famous as she is today if she hadn't been a part of this film... I wonder?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks