1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Burning -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, May 28, 2013.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    XenForo Template

The Burning (1981), directed by Tony Maylam, may have ended up on the pile of slaughter at camp films, had it not been for some of the names involved.  In reality, it's a rather decent slasher film.  Just not the first.

Photographed in upstate New York and produced by a young producer / writer team by the name of Weinstein.  Also, on board as a writer, a then 25-year old Brad Grey.

A few of the young actors getting a break, Leah Ayres, Brian Backer, a rather slim Jason Alexander, Fisher Stevens, and playing the role of Sophie, the camper, another first timer, Holly Hunter.

One of the things that sets this particular low-budget affair, which is being released by Scream Factory, apart from many others, is the overall quality of the presentation.

The imagery, which has occasional minus density, letting you know you're watching film, may be from the OCN.  It looks that good.  Like film, actually.  Monaural sound is DTS-HD MA.

Bottom line.  A fun slasher film, on a gorgeous Blu-ray from Scream Factory.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm sure The Burning is off Alexander's resume but he's surprisingly good in it. My thoughts might be clouded by his later fame but even at his young age, he's a talented enough actor to easily steal every scene he's in. He's also clearly improving dialogue and elevating his role. No doubt that's a self serving move but still the mark of a talent that you don't see in a slasher movie.

And you know we live in a magical time when RAH says a few words about The Burning. :)

pinknik likes this.
  3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    My copy just arrived tonight, can't wait to check it out!

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    I am merely here, between doing other far lesser things, as the obt svt of HTF to allow information as to what BDs are a safe purchase.

RAH

5. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    I don't remember this one at all.

SOLD!

6. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    Of course, the real star of the show is Tom Savini. :) It isn't my favorite slasher (in fact, I'm not a big slasher fan), but it has a lot going for it. Looking forward to it.

7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

This isn't my one of my favorite slashers, but I'm picking it up now that I've read how good it looks. Thank you Mr. Harris.
    I'm still waiting for 'A few words about...The Boogens', and 'Death Ship' :)

8. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

After Shout/Scream announced that they were going to release THE BURNING, I tweeted to Jason Alexander and asked if he was going to be involved in the special features and his response was "WHYYYYYYY?!"

Anyone know if he has ever talked about the film?

TravisR likes this.
  9. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    Haha!! That's pretty funny, Derrick!

10. Tommy R

Tommy R Second Unit

Tommy
    The killer-in-the-woods sub genre is my favorite in the horror field, and though I prefer "Just Before Dawn", I'll pick up The Burning eventually. It's better than almost all of the Friday the 13th movies. On top of Jason Alexander, Fisher Stevens appears in this, almost un-recognizable.