1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Breakfast Club -- in HD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Universal's new HD release of The Breakfast Club is typical of what we should expect from "catalog" titles of the era.

Neither an expensive, nor an unusually photographed film, as a production this is about as average as one might find.

How does this translate to HD?

The image is more highly resolved in every way, and yet there is nothing that jumps off the screen as might be found in other, especially more modern HD discs.

The establishing shot of the school actually takes on a softer look than I had previously noticed. For whatever reason, it simply wasn't sharp on film, and takes on precisely the same attribute in HD.

The good news is that the film is still a quality production that has stood the test of time, and most important, the HD disc replicates the look of the film properly.

The bottom line is that The Breakfast Club, while a fine film, was not at the time of release, nor is it now -- reference quality.

It is what it is.

If you are making the switch to HD, there is no reason why this title should not be upgraded. It just won't be the disc that you reach for to show off the wonders of HD.

Recommended.

RAH

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    And now the dilemma of a true HD addict.

I hate this movie, but RAH's recommendation makes me consider buying it!

Sigh. [​IMG]

- Steve

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I probably wont have time to do a full review of TBC any time soon but I'll give it a look when I can because I do like this movie, definitly in the guilty pleasure category =)

Sam

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Ron
    One of the best movies from the 80's, I'll have to pick it up.

5. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Well-Known Member

Thank you, Robert. I see people on many forums trash HD titles simply because they're not demo material. When it comes to most catalog titles, my main interest is does it show a significant improvement over the SD-DVD version?

That's why I don't mind owning admittedly inferior looking HD-DVDs like Christmas Vacation and The Fugitive, since they still blow away their SD-DVD counterparts.

It's also why I'm still pissed I bought Spartacus without waiting to read any reviews. That one is almost indistiguishable from the Criterion DVD.

6. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Well-Known Member

WHY are you thinking about buying a movie you hate?? Are you collection HD titles only or do you care about film at all?

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Ooh, SNAP!

- Steve

8. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

RAH, you didn't mention how this disc does NOT include its original mono soundtrack, only the newer 5.1 mix from a few years back.

9. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Well-Known Member

Tim Glover
    Certainly a '80s staple....it has my interest as I haven't seen this in years. [​IMG]

10. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Well-Known Member

I experienced a profoundly meaningful improvement as a videophile when upgrading to an HD copy of A Christmas Story. The same "objective" degree of minimal improvement applies to that title as well as what RAH has described here. However, for anyone who's got a resolving system, the more natural film-like "grace" of the HD image, if you will, does make a meaningful improvement as to how one connects emotionally with the film. It just *feels* less like a "video" and more like a *movie* even if the objective improvement would seem small if you tried to quantify it in words.

My experience is that for anyone who is a videophile, HD gets you close to the soul of the FILM... which makes an emotional difference even for titles that had limited production quality that wouldn't seem to benefit from HD resolution to a great advantage. But for a videophile, those subtle improvements make all the difference, even for titles that wouldn't scream out at you from the shelf for demo-clips when you want to impress your neighbor with HD.

Enjoy!

dave [​IMG]

11. ppltd

ppltd Well-Known Member

David,

Very well stated. I have yet to buy and HD or BD disk that has not vastly improved my viewing experience. I am tired of nit picking releases, as even some of the lesser releases have shown much improvement over their SD conterparts. And as I have been watching some of the complaints of releases, I am beginning to believe many of the issues 'percieved' may well be hardware or display issues with the viewer.

I think it is fine to point out mastering disasters, but they are becomming the exception, no longer the norm.

It is amazing the near theatrical quality of viewing we can set up in our homes for a few thousand dollars. To expect this viewing experience to be as pristine as a million dollar plus IMAX setup, or to expect the optics in our projectors to perform the same as a $50,000 projection lens on a quarter million dollar projector is pushing it a bit too far.

I could not be more happy with the viewing experience I am having with both formats.