What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Bishop's Wife -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just watched the TCM broadcast, and their version contained the same glitch.I assume they used the same master as the blu-ray.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
davidmatychuk said:
Two days ago, the very personable Sherri Bogard returned my e-mail within minutes, and after several quick back-and-forths I am now able to track my replacement disc, which a courier is bringing (I'm in Vancouver). Wow, Merry Christmas, and I don't think Blu-Ray is quite dead yet.
When you receive it, please note any difference in the disc manufacture code (a series of letters and numbers usually 7-8 digits long) located on the inner clear plastic rim of the disc on the same side as the disc art. You might need a magnifying glass to read them clearly.

If there is a difference, it'll be easier to determine which disc is defective or the corrected disc and when the disc makes it to retail.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
JoHud said:
When you receive it, please note any difference in the disc manufacture code (a series of letters and numbers usually 7-8 digits long) located on the inner clear plastic rim of the disc on the same side as the disc art. You might need a magnifying glass to read them clearly.

If there is a difference, it'll be easier to determine which disc is defective or the corrected disc and when the disc makes it to retail.
I will post as soon as I see it.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
moviebuff75 said:
No. And they also need to fix the ending. The screen cuts to black way before the credits are over. There should be a fade out, not an abrupt cut. Other than these two issues, the film looks very good. Way better than the dnr on the dvd version.
I'll be checking that ending, too. The disc has been in Cincinnati since 3:48 A.M.. It gets around more than I do.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The courier tried to deliver the package today (that was fast!) while I was out. They say they'll try again tomorrow. I'll be here waiting, and I will post IMMEDIATELY when it arrives (I'm not unlike Alvin - "Please Christmas, don't be late"). This gives me tonight to practise cueing up the end credits from the old DVD, just in case.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
David, if you don't get it in time you don't have to go through the trouble of syncing up the end credits. All of the credits are there, it just cuts off abruptly before the music is over and doesn't fade out. It's a hard cut to black and then the music ends after the cut to black.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
moviebuff75 said:
David, if you don't get it in time you don't have to go through the trouble of syncing up the end credits. All of the credits are there, it just cuts off abruptly before the music is over and doesn't fade out. It's a hard cut to black and then the music ends after the cut to black.
If there is one split second of this movie (or any Cary Grant movie, really), even part of a fade-out, missing from the Blu-Ray I would like to have it. Please! And I'm pretty confident about the courier handing me the package tomorrow, but in my home, we roll with Christmas right through Ukrainian Christmas on January 7th.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Look at this - I was home all day! Anyways, they assure me they'll bring the parcel on Friday, and no slip-ups this time! Dudley, where are you when DHL Express needs you? I'll post when it arrives, and Merry Christmas everybody till then! May your screen caps be merry and bright, and may all your carbon arcs be white!

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 Service Area Time 16 Delivery attempted; recipient not home BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 13:47
15 With delivery courier BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 08:17
Monday, December 23, 2013 Service Area Time 14 Delivery attempted; recipient not home BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 11:09
13 With delivery courier BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 10:13
12 Clearance processing complete at BRITISH COLUMBIA - CANADA BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 09:55
11 Arrived at Sort Facility BRITISH COLUMBIA - CANADA BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 09:33
10 Customs status updated BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 06:16

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I received my replacement bluray with today's mail and the glitch at 29:49 has been corrected. I want to commend Warner's customer service for their amazingly prompt attention to this matter and the ease with which the replacement disc was obtained. I did not need to provide any proof of purchase. A simple email to Sherri Bogard at Warner per the instructions earlier in this thread (Sean's post #36) was all that was needed and a replacement disc in a bare-bones but sturdy DVD case arrived today.

Thank you Sherri and thank you Sean!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Good to know the replacement discs are available and fix the surprise footage glitch! Thanks!

My wife and I had not seen 'The Biship's Wife' until yesterday. We streamed it from Amazon Prime and enjoyed the movie very much. The image quality wasn't very good so we plan to purchase the Blu-ray sometime during 2014 so we can show it in the Booth Bijou next Holiday Season.

Hopefully, by the time we get around to purchasing the disc the fixed version will be on the shelves of most retailers.

Mark

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Friday, December 27, 2013 Service Area Time 18 Delivery attempted; recipient not home BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 12:26

17 With delivery courier BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 10:52

And not only was I at home, but they didn't phone ahead as I requested. They'll try again Monday. I'm glad this Forum is here so that I can a) get good information about "The Bishop's Wife" on Blu-Ray, and b) let Cary Grant fans know that I have frustrations with modern-day courier services. Meanwhile, Eric, I can practise my cueing up the DVD!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I want to thank David M. for posting Shari Bogard's email. I emailed her on Sunday ([email protected]) with a note mentioning I had seen her email on this forum, mentioned that THE BISHOP'S WIFE disc was defective, and included my address. I expected to receive another email. Instead, I got a replacement disc in the mail today, with a very personalized letter thanking me for getting in touch with her, and apologizing for the defect. A real class act! I checked the disc & not only has the repetition glitch at 29:43 been fixed, but the image quality is much improved: no more "clotted blacks" & weird grain on faces in the opening scene. The image is much more crystalline and pure looking. Of course, I only have a 32 inch TV; those of you with projectors may still see some defects, but it looked amazing to me.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
While checking out my original HBO Home Video DVD copy of "The Bishop's Wife" on my Oppo 981 (with its Faroudja circuitry, it's still my go-to for upconverting DVDs to my HDTV) I was struck first by how nice it looked for a DVD, then by the French, Spanish, and Italian audio tracks and the Chace Surround Stereo additional English track (2.0, and when decoded it's a bit echoey, but it's the thought that counts at Christmas), then by the array of still-frame cast bios with pretty good filmographies (the man related to Henry Koster would appreciate that there's one for him, too), and lastly, by what a beautiful royal purple and gold package it's in, with the Cary & Loretta photo not colorized. I LOVE all that extra stuff! And that's before getting to the classy fade to black (and silence for seconds!) at the end of the credits, which is the real reason I'm practising switching from the Blu-Ray to the DVD for the end credits. Well, that and the fact that I'm happy to have another excuse to watch "The Bishop's Wife".

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Believe it or not, this is the first time I've seen THE BISHOP'S WIFE. Somehow I missed seeing the film as a child, and as an adult, I have a tendency to stay away from Christmas movies. I bought the disc because I'm collecting Greg Tolland on Blu. But yes, it's an amazing film, and this might be Cary Grant's best performance, or at least, one of his most personal, in which he reveals the human being underneath the Cary Grant persona. I was very moved by the film. And now that Warner's has fixed the black crush during dark scenes, it's much easier to see Greg Tolland's lighting and many of the scenes have a luminosity that wasn't present on the disc that was originally released a few months ago. In particular, the opening scenes on Main Street at night look fairly spectacular. Now that I've watched the entire film, the image quality isn't as perfect as THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES; there are moments of odd grain or noise across Loretta Young's face in the scene in the playground, for instance, and, and some of the effects mattes seem a bit soft, or as Mr. Harris likes to say, the dupes are what they are, but generally everything looks excellent. Good detail, excellent sharpness, and the specifics of the lighting and the depth of field are very discernible, and in general, the disc is a pleasure to watch. I would give it 4-4.5.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
lark144 said:
Believe it or not, this is the first time I've seen THE BISHOP'S WIFE. Somehow I missed seeing the film as a child, and as an adult, I have a tendency to stay away from Christmas movies. I bought the disc because I'm collecting Greg Tolland on Blu. But yes, it's an amazing film, and this might be Cary Grant's best performance, or at least, one of his most personal, in which he reveals the human being underneath the Cary Grant persona. I was very moved by the film. And now that Warner's has fixed the black crush during dark scenes, it's much easier to see Greg Tolland's lighting and many of the scenes have a luminosity that wasn't present on the disc that was originally released a few months ago. In particular, the opening scenes on Main Street at night look fairly spectacular. Now that I've watched the entire film, the image quality isn't as perfect as THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES; there are moments of odd grain or noise across Loretta Young's face in the scene in the playground, for instance, and, and some of the effects mattes seem a bit soft, or as Mr. Harris likes to say, the dupes are what they are, but generally everything looks excellent. Good detail, excellent sharpness, and the specifics of the lighting and the depth of field are very discernible, and in general, the disc is a pleasure to watch. I would give it 4-4.5.
Speaking of Christmas films, 1947, was a big year for such films as not only The Bishop's Wife debut that year, but also, It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
lark144 said:
Believe it or not, this is the first time I've seen THE BISHOP'S WIFE. Somehow I missed seeing the film as a child, and as an adult, I have a tendency to stay away from Christmas movies. I bought the disc because I'm collecting Greg Tolland on Blu. But yes, it's an amazing film, and this might be Cary Grant's best performance, or at least, one of his most personal, in which he reveals the human being underneath the Cary Grant persona. I was very moved by the film.
Cary Grant makes a fantastic angel. He's next-to-impossible to read, right up to the end. Is he there to help? Is he falling for Loretta Young? Does he long to be human? Is he maybe just messing with everybody? Is he maybe not an angel at all? It's a perfect role for him, and I'm kind of surprised that they were originally thinking of having David Niven play Dudley and Cary Grant play the Bishop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks