What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Bishop's Wife -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Henry Koster's The Bishop's Wife (1947), is one of the quintessential Christmas films, but it's so much more than that. Based upon the novel by Robert Nathan, it involves heavenly intervention. If that sounds vaguely like another film, released precisely one year earlier, don't let it bother you.

Totally different, and in many ways, just as charming.

Image-wise, The Bishop's Wife is a bit of a mixed bag. Like The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), it was photographed by the great Gregg Toland. But here, the blacks tend to clot a bit, and the image has just the tiniest tendency toward softness. Might it have been shot that way? Possible.

The other possibility is that it's derived from a fine grain master, which might have been just a touch on the heavy side.

No matter.

The imagery is fine. Audio is likewise, fine, but could be cleaner.

The Bishop's Wife is a wonderful fantasy. I believe on Blu-ray it could have looked and sounded better, but I'm pleased to finally have it.

Image - 3

Audio - 3

I can heartily recommend this as a film, but the Blu-ray is a bit lacking.

RAH

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Excited to get this. The first time I watched it, I just found it "okay." It has grown to become one of my favorite Christmas films. Magic in every frame.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Robert Crawford said:
Perhaps, it might look better to you on your HT setup.
Oh, I'm sure I'll be more than happy with it. It just seems there has been a plethora of stellar catalogue releases lately. I had hopes that this would be one as well.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
JohnMor said:
Oh, I'm sure I'll be more than happy with it. It just seems there has been a plethora of stellar catalogue releases lately. I had hopes that this would be one as well.
I'll take bets that no one will see the problem. Blacks in dark shots are just pulled down a bit by the film element.Otherwise, it's a nice disc.RAH

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Robert Harris said:
I'll take bets that no one will see the problem. Blacks in dark shots are just pulled down a bit by the film element.Otherwise, it's a nice disc.RAH
It's very nice to see more vintage classics coming from Warner, considering how they seem to have fallen a bit behind Fox in terms of vintage catalog output quantity.Couldn't Warner have used the original negative to produce a superior image? Perhaps they wished to repurpose a DVD-era master, or the OCN is lost.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Lromero1396 said:
It's very nice to see more vintage classics coming from Warner, considering how they seem to have fallen a bit behind Fox in terms of vintage catalog output quantity.Couldn't Warner have used the original negative to produce a superior image? Perhaps they wished to repurpose a DVD-era master, or the OCN is lost.
This is a Goldwyn title. It is not owned by WB. Not certain if the OCN even exists.

RAH

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Sigh. Thanks for the heads-up, Eric. That's my preorder cancelled just in time. I've already had to call in for 2 replacements this week (Little Mermaid, with Disney being kind enough to ship the replacement discs to Germany, and Shout's Fist of Fury from the Bruce Lee Box Set, with Shout not sending the replacement disc to Germany), so I really can't be bothered. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
moviebuff75 said:
Uh-oh. There is a video glitch at 29:48 in which a scene from a different part of the film pops up. I hope they fix this and offer a replacement.
Eric: How long of a glitch are we talking about? What exactly are you seeing?

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
I seriously hope Warner issues a recall, this is so unlike them to have a product with issues like this on the market. Sadly, I have a slight feeling that they won't bother. Most studios these days don't.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
moviebuff75 said:
Uh-oh. There is a video glitch at 29:48 in which a scene from a different part of the film pops up. I hope they fix this and offer a replacement.
Mike Frezon said:
Eric: How long of a glitch are we talking about? What exactly are you seeing?
Yes I would like to know how bad this is before I order. Describe how noticeable and the duration of the "glitch".

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I have contacted Warner about the mastering issue, and I have just heard back that they are aware of the issue and will be making corrected discs available. I will update this thread when I hear more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks