1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A few words about...™ Superman: The Motion Picture Anthology -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by ckent, Apr 18, 2012.

1. ckent

ckent Auditioning

Got the Blu Ray anthology not too long ago. Did anyone notice that the colors on the new transfers are all off (S II, SIII, SIV, and to a lesser extent Superman: The Movie theatrical), and Superman II's contrast is up way too high?
    I've collected screencaps here:
    http://supermanii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3455
    Be interested in knowing your thoughts.

2. ckent

ckent Auditioning

Got the Blu Ray anthology not too long ago. Did anyone notice that the colors on the new transfers are all off (S II, SIII, SIV, and to a lesser extent Superman: The Movie theatrical), and Superman II's contrast is up way too high?
    I've collected screencaps here:
    http://supermanii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3455
    Be interested in knowing your thoughts.

3. ckent

ckent Auditioning

I should specify that it's the Theatrical Cut of Superman II that looks problematic. Superman II: The Richard Donner cut looks great (it's the same transfer from 2006).

4. WillG

WillG Producer

It seems like SII (theatrical) Blu ray uses the same transfer from the DVDs. Look at the opening fly in to krypton in S:TM and compare with the same footage in SII and you'll see a pretty clear difference

5. ckent

ckent Auditioning

The blu ray transfers for Superman: The Movie (Theatrical), Superman II-IV are all new from 2011 just for the box set.

6. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Screenwriter

Joel Henderson
    There was a lot of criticism about the 2001 dvds (whose transfers were reused for the 2006 ones) having improper color correction to begin with. Superman III was slammed in particular because you could see the wires holding Reeve in several shots.

7. WillG

WillG Producer

When I saw the BD for Superman III, I was impressed, because I was expecting that HD would make the wires even more visible, but for the most part, they didn't show.
    I wasn't entirely sure if new transfers were made for the BD versions because, at lease on SII, I still saw some of the same issues I noticed before on the DVDs. I mentioned the opening fly into Krypton. On the S:TM transfer, it looks great, but on SII, the fly in looks darker and the brightness seems to flicker as the dome is being approached.

8. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Screenwriter

Joel Henderson

They would have had to do new transfers. The old ones were interlaced.

9. ckent

ckent Auditioning

This is the sort of issue with the new Blu Rays transfers that I am concerned about. You can see that the costume is now teal/green, at least for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ckent

ckent Auditioning

This is the sort of issue with the new Blu Rays transfers that I am concerned about. You can see that the costume is now teal/green, at least for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ckent

ckent Auditioning

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson Second Unit

Jeff Robertson
    It is this and other reported changes to the visuals that has kept me from purchasing this set. It is a real shame because I was eager to get it due to the audio improvements.

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Can anyone verify what the true color of Superman's costume was supposed to be in the films? Maybe there are photgraphs from the filming of the sets? I ask because sometimes on the Blu-ray screenshots I see the blue as a turquoise. Was this part of the changes in color timing, or an accurate display of the color based on how these were filmed?
    Either way, I will still pick this boxset up at the right price. I probably should have grabbed that UK deal a long time back.

14. Guest

I've seen a costume in person...it is a light blue.

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

But there was a turquoise costume made for some shots, because it composited better than the richer bluer costume used in the non-FX shots. When the slightly longer special edition cut of Superman: The Movie was made for the original DVD, Richard Donner had the techs digitally color correct those shots so the blue matched the rest of the film. Since a limited theatrical re-release was planned in advance of the DVD, I find it hard to believe that work was done in 480i. But if they applied the same techniques to the sequels, it might have been done in 480i. If they started from scratch using an unaltered print, it could explain the difference.
    The original standalone BD of the first film is the DVD cut of the film, and I don't recall seeing the turquoise suit in any shots.

16. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Could not resist. Saw this for $47 on Amazon as a "region-free" set from a seller that was being "fulfilled by Amazon" and was expecting to get the UK version. It came shipped in the standard Amazon shipping box and lo and behold, it's the U.S. release. Less than $6/disk. Pleasantly surprised, and looking forward to diving in.

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I finally ended up buying this from Amazon UK for $36 shipped several weeks back.
    All in all, the extras are phenomenal (especially the Kevin Spacey narrated documentary and the material on Superman I).
    I still have to watch the theatrical version of II, but I was quite happy with how both versions of the first movie looked. I realize these are not brand new 4K scans, but the transfers looked rather natural and film-like.