What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sunrise -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
OK. Understood. The Amazon UK site lists THE ELEPHANT MAN as a PAL disc. Does anyone have this and, if so, is that not a disc I can play on my Blu-ray?

Is SUNRISE safe to order?

I just don't want to get stuck with discs I can't play. Thanks

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Is ELEPHANT MAN region-free also? Thanks for your help.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
All the Sunrise supplements are in NTSC, and the entire contents of the disc should play easily on any North American player.

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
I as given this blu-ray of Sunrise for my birthday, YAY! Went straight for partially known territory, the Czech version and it's amazing the picture quality. Of course the film needs no review from me BUT the question I've been wwondering:

Why did Fox let someone else release this film? Isn't it considered a crown jewel in the Fox ouevre?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ken Volok said:
I as given this blu-ray of Sunrise for my birthday, YAY! Went straight for partially known territory, the Czech version and it's amazing the picture quality. Of course the film needs no review from me BUT the question I've been wwondering: Why did Fox let someone else release this film? Isn't it considered a crown jewel in the Fox ouevre?
Most likely because extraordinary history and high quality do not translate into sales for silent product.RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Crawford said:
Here's hoping The Big Parade sells well as we need to encourage the studios to release these great films onto BD.
Agreed. WB has gone all out, as the image as been harvested from the OCN. Should be magnificent.RAH

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Robert Crawford said:
Here's hoping The Big Parade sells well as we need to encourage the studios to release these great films onto BD.
It's a shame the studios don't feel as they did in the 30's and 40's when they would occasionally invest in prestigious projects that they thought wouldn't return much of a profit, if any, but did it to enhance their image.

Eerik Paal

Grip
Robert Crawford said:
I wouldn't get my hopes too high. Wings was released in January 2012 and The Big Parade is the first silent released by a major studio since that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Eerik Paal said:
I wouldn't get my hopes too high. Wings was released in January 2012 and The Big Parade is the first silent released by a major studio since that.
Which is my point that consumers can complain all they want about the studios not releasing the classic titles onto BD at the rate they want them to be released. However, if the market place isn't supporting those classic releases through units sold then consumers shouldn't expect the studios to take a loss by releasing more of them as they have stockholders to answer to and those stockholders are not as few in numbers nor do they care about film as the ones that controlled the studios back in the 30s and 40s.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Robert Crawford said:
I share your hope, Mr. Crawford.
Robert Harris said:
Agreed. WB has gone all out, as the image as been harvested from the OCN. Should be magnificent.RAH
An OCN from the silent era? I thought those were all completely lost/unusable, but stranger things have happened...

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
No, everything that is on the single disc version is included in the Dual Format.

But I strongly suggest buying a retail copy from Amazon.co.uk instead, for half the price.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
You can often find better deals than Amazon UK for the MOC titles direct from the Eureka site, which has periodic discounts on their Blus and free worldwide shipping for all orders. They are also a great company to deal with.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I got the 3 disc DVD/Blu-ray combo pack today from Amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunrise-Format-Blu-ray-Masters-Cinema/dp/B005JCOBOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376538355&sr=8-1&keywords=sunrise+blu-ray
and the Blu-ray case itself says it is Region B on the back, so I understand the confusion.
I do *not* have a region free Blu-ray player and it played just fine, clearly mislabeled as Region B.

Also the commentary track is the same as on the 20th Century Fox DVD, which, for folks like me that really love commentary tracks, it was important to me that I not loose this when passing along the Fox DVD to a friend.

Thanks again for all the advice, Eddie and others.
I saved money buying it from .co.uk and, while I've only sat through 40 minutes, this looks fantastic!
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks