What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Stanley Kubrick Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
haineshisway said:
That would have been a neat trick, since he was dead.
If you read my post you will note that I never said that he checked the release prints of this film, merely that that was his standard procedure on previous films. That being the case I'm sure that those close to him would ensure they would look they way he wanted them to look. I can't say that they did this for sure but neither can you.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
mikeyhitchfan said:
He died on March 7 1999. The book states that the screening for Warner Brothers took place 6 days earlier, so, March 1 1999. Obviously it took place in England, and the execs flew in to view it eagerly I'm sure. Cruise and Kidman confirm in interviews that they also attended this screening, as it was then considered the final cut.
I saw the first hour of the film at the 1999 Showest Convention at a Warner Brothers event about two weeks after his death. When the film was released in July there were several scenes that I saw in late March that was not in the final cut or had been re-edited. Some of that re-editing was needed to get an R rating and not an NC-17. But I do believe the film was worked on after his death due to rating and length issues. Warner Brothers basically took control of the film after his death and I was told personally by a Warner's Distribution exec that they were very concerned about the film and its success. Personally, EYES WIDE SHUT is not a favorite of mine.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I will also but forth that Kubrick might have made notes on that March 1 screening before his death and Warner Brothers used that as a basis.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Interesting to hear they made cuts after his death (aside from the MPAA digital alterations we all knew about)! Unlike Kubrick's other films (which reportedly had their outtakes destroyed as per Kubrick's instructions), one would think any deleted EWS material would still exist. One thing I'd like to ask if you can remember re: that early screening, ahollis- did the "mirror" scene have that awful jump-cut in the middle that the final release version has, and did it fade to black as quickly on Kidman's close-up at the end of the scene? That scene just looks awfully choppy in the final cut, and of course that much longer teaser-trailer version of the mirror scene exists.

Vincent

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
mikeyhitchfan said:
He died on March 7 1999. The book states that the screening for Warner Brothers took place 6 days earlier, so, March 1 1999. Obviously it took place in England, and the execs flew in to view it eagerly I'm sure. Cruise and Kidman confirm in interviews that they also attended this screening, as it was then considered the final cut.
I can't find the reference now but I could have sworn I read that the March 1999 EYES WIDE SHUT screening for Cruise, Kidman, and the WB execs took place in New York City, that the print was flown over and accompanied by one of Kubrick's assistants. The purpose of the screening, as I recall, was that Cruise and Kidman had to sign "nudity wavers" before Kubrick could sign off on his final cut. Why are you so certain it occurred in England? *EDIT* Just saw your post above, never mind.

The "Show-West" clip is basically a much longer (and better) version of the "mirror scene". I always thought it should have been released as a red-band trailer for EYES WIDE SHUT, it probably would have doubled the opening weekend box office :)

But, ahollis was there and says they showed the first hour of the film, so who knows? It could be folks in the audience had to sign non-disclosure agreements at the time so it was never discussed.

Vincent

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Vincent_P said:
I can't find the reference now but I could have sworn I read that the March 1999 EYES WIDE SHUT screening for Cruise, Kidman, and the WB execs took place in New York City, that the print was flown over and accompanied by one of Kubrick's assistants. The purpose of the screening, as I recall, was that Cruise and Kidman had to sign "nudity wavers" before Kubrick could sign off on his final cut. Why are you so certain it occurred in England?

Vincent
Yes, see above. I was incorrect about the location. My bad. I still think it's doubtful that anyone saw more than a short clip of the film before it's release. But, since I wasn't there I can only quote online articles that contradict what ahollis claims. Unless there was another event that I'm unaware of.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
mikeyhitchfan said:
The Showest clip was only 90 seconds long, according to reports. I may have been mistaken though regarding the location of the screening for the execs and stars. According to several articles it took place in New York, but this was still 5-6 days before his death. Of course Kubrick himself didn't attend this. http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/1999/mar/10/theater-owners-see-steamy-scene-from-kubrick-film/
There was the short mirror clip at a dinner but there was an invitational screening at one of the Century Theatres. It was for film buyers only and other Warner product was shown. The entire invitational event lasted about Two hours. Many of the film companies had special invitational presentations just for film buyers and/or owners during those years due to the number of attendees and press they did not want to attend. There were no disclosures signed. They did not show the party scene at that screening which would end up being controversial over its editing between the US and International versions. It could have been only a 30 minute clip but I remember it being boring and what I saw did not live up to expectations and hype. There were scenes that were either re-edited or not included in the final print which I saw in New Orleans during its bid screening in June. My mind did not change about the film after that screening.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
ahollis said:
There was the short mirror clip at a dinner but there was an invitational screening at one of the Century Theatres. It was for film buyers only and other Warner product was shown. The entire invitational event lasted about Two hours. Many of the film companies had special invitational presentations just for film buyers and/or owners during those years due to the number of attendees and press they did not want to attend. There were no disclosures signed. They did not show the party scene at that screening which would end up being controversial over its editing between the US and International versions. It could have been only a 30 minute clip but I remember it being boring and what I saw did not live up to expectations and hype. There were scenes that were either re-edited or not included in the final print which I saw in New Orleans during its bid screening in June. My mind did not change about the film after that screening.
Interesting..any specific scenes or shots that you can recall that weren't in the final cut?

Here's an interesting discussion about the film and it's editing. http://kubrickfilms.tripod.com/id79.html

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've never understood why EWS gets such a bad rep. Sure, probably Kubrick's worst film...but gee. An exemplary directors worst film still wins "what do I watch tonight?".Slow, plodding, hard to follow...sure. But the root point of the movie makes it watchable. He is certain his wife would never cheat cause of his own sanctimony.Whatever. Have fun while your sanctimony falls apart around you.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
mikeyhitchfan said:
Interesting..any specific scenes or shots that you can recall that weren't in the final cut?Here's an interesting discussion about the film and it's editing. http://kubrickfilms.tripod.com/id79.html
Mostly it was just extended scenes and a street scene before he meets the hooker. I remember the opening party scene was longer. Those cuts may have already been suggested by Kubrick. Showest was only two or three weeks after his death and Warner's kept insisting they were going to release the film as Kubrick intended. But we all know the version of the 90 sec Mirror clip that was shown for the entire convention did not make into the film so I figured Warner fiddled with the film. The distribution arm of the company was personally not excited about the film and very anxious about its commercial value. I also recall having a difficult time pulling its run after four weeks in a couple of Theatres. Warner Distribution argued with me for two days. I finally agreed to run it for 9pm show for a week and then that was it. The film was really a two week grosser. If the Internet and Blogs had been in fashion at the time it might never have done the business it did. I know that there are true lovers and admirers of this film. I just am not. I do admire CLOCKWORK ORANGE and FULL METAL JACKET. I would have loved to see A. I. as a Kubrick film and wish he had lived to make it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The 90 second mirror clip shown for the Warner dinner to the entire convention attendees did not have a jump cut. The scene flowed well and was very erotic. Certainly not what is in the film today. Mr and Mrs Cruise showed us a lot of skin. This scene was also in the invitational presentation. At that invitational screening Warner's also pushed THE IRON GIANT, THE WILD WILD WEST and THE GREEN MILE. They had Brad Bird, Kevin Kline and the great Michael Clarke Duncan to greet and shake hands. No one representing EWS was there. I guess I could look this up but didn't Kubrick and the Cruises have a falling out by the time they finished filming? I will repeat and believe that any cuts that were made before the release were properly based an notes by Kubrick before he passed. If he saw the film a few days before he died I'm feel certain he wanted changes and made notes during the screening. They just could not be accomplished before the Showest screening and Warner really wanted this thing sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks