What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Stalag 17 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Billy Wilder's 1953 Stalag 17, shortly being released by Warner Home Video via Paramount, is a gorgeous Blu-ray.

It actually looks far better than I thought it would, and that's a testament to the archival staff at Paramount.

For those who have not yet experience Stalag, it's a brilliant film - pure and simple. Look at the names of those involved.

Billy Wilder - you know what he's done. If you don't, please don't embarrass yourself;

Ernest Laszlo (cinematographer) - a camera operator on Wings, second unit on Hell's Angels, Vera Curz, Kiss Me Deadly, Judgment at Nuremberg...

and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World;

George Tomasini (editor) - Rear Window, To Catch a Thief, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Wrong Man, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, The Time Machine, The Misfits, The Birds;

Franz Waxman (uncredited), this is a fun one - The Blue Angel, The Bride of Frankenstein, Fury, A Day at the Races, Rebecca, The Philadelphia Story, Suspicion, Air Force, The Paradine Case, Rear Window, Mister Roberts, The Spirit of St. Louis, Love in the Afternoon, The Nun's Story.

You get the idea.

It looks terrific. Great gray scale. Good blacks, nice grain. It's all there.

Buy it. Enjoy it.

$17.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this a few days ago. It's a really good BRD. It's a good film too!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've seen this in HD on the telly & it looks really good. It was an early DVD release from Paramount & boy did it look ropey! These are great times for film fans...with a Blu-ray player.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree. I watched it last weekend, and it was a terrific Blu-ray. The movie has always been a marvel of comedy and mystery and drama all combined into a surefire package of entertainment.

The bonuses are also very informative.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Some older films which try to mix comedy with more serious subject matter fall flat on their faces - whether this is due to cultural relativism or because they were just poor to start with is not for me to say.

But this isn't one of those films.

Genuinely funny in parts, but tense and gripping for the rest.

I bought the disc as soon as it appeared, but haven't watched it yet. So pleased that it's a good 'un.

Steve W

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Picked this up and wish to echo all the sentiments. Excellent film and a wonderful disc. So glad to finally have this one.

Doug

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
"Stalag 17" isn't usually thought of as a Christmas movie, but it certainly and entirely is one. This excellent Blu-Ray will make for very high quality alt-Christmas viewing at my place this coming season!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
davidmatychuk said:
"Stalag 17" isn't usually thought of as a Christmas movie, but it certainly and entirely is one. This excellent Blu-Ray will make for very high quality alt-Christmas viewing at my place this coming season!
There's another Billy Wilder film that's both ideal Christmas viewing and a miraculous blend of drama and comedy: The Apartment. I intend to watch that during the Christmas holiday period plus the Sinatra version of Ocean's Eleven. I might also watch my Region 2 DVD of Christmas Holiday.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
davidmatychuk said:
Add to the list of movies that are actually "Christmas/New Years/Holiday" movies but are not generally thought of as such is Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. The chronology of the movie takes place in the weeks just prior to Christmas and holiday decorations are seen strewn across the street as Marion drives out of Phoenix with the loot. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have been wanting to comment on this film for the past few days.

A few weeks ago I received the Blu-ray double feature Stalag 17 and
The Dirty Dozen.

Had never seen Stalag 17, and it was the primary focus of my purchase.
Getting The Dirty Dozen with it was an added bonus as I like that film.

Anyhow...

First time I ever watched Stalag 17.

I think, initially, I was bothered by the fact that this was a comedy. I was
kind of hoping for a film more like The Great Escape. However, over the
past few days since its viewing, I have been thinking of it often and found
that it really has grown on me. I particularly like the tension involved with
finding the snitch in the group and what was ultimately done with that individual.

In all, after sleeping on it a few days, I think it's a great movie.

I agree with Mr. Harris that it's a great looking Blu-ray.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Wilder's genius was making these harshly cynical (or maybe realistic is a better word) films cloaked within the guise of a comedy. So many of his films (The Apartment, Stalag 17, One-Two-Three, The Fortune Cookie, etc) follow this formula, brilliantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks