What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Singin' in the Rain -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Everett Stallings said:
Well I can't wait for that damm unbrella, i will look great going to the NEW 15 screen muiti plex and IMAX in town, within walking distance!!! Opens this Nov. It's a new chain called Penn Cinemas. They have only one location so far in Penn. in the boonies. Wilmington De. really needs this,there is nothing to do here.
Sounds good, you might see me there.
Also Luke did you really need to quote Roberts entire post in the post directly after his? Talk about redundant.
Anyway I'll settle for the movie only bluray edition.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Apologies if my quotation of Robert's entire review caused you and others consternation...in my euphoric reaction I felt the urge to shout it from the mountaintop after waiting this long for a home theater presentation of this classic truly worthy of its stature!!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
lukejosephchung said:
I'm seeing this Thursday night at 7pm at the Century 9 multiplex in downtown San Francisco, which has 4k projection facilities...can't wait to see for myself on the big screen what RAH is so thrilled about before my umbrella box set arrives next Tuesday!!!:dance:

I hate to be a naysayer, but the Turner / Fathom track record is hardly stellar
4k abilities are meaningless in a venue if they aren't used, or if the presentation is delivered by stork at 1080i.
Suggest you ask before you put down the cash and take your seat.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/60#post_3947764
4k abilities are meaningless in a venue if they aren't used, or if the presentation is delivered by stork at 1080i.
Robert, I asked the Century 9's theater manager before I saw "Casablanca" to show me the screening room's projection facilities before the viewing, and he was kind enough to oblige me back in March. I'm confident that I'll be seeing a full resolution 4k presentation in this venue, having viewed both "Casablanca" and "Yellow Submarine" in the same fashion at this place. As President Ronald Reagan used to say about nuclear arms negotiations..."Trust, but verify!!!" I did so before taking my seat at the Fathom presentations I attended here...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
lukejosephchung said:
Apologies if my quotation of Robert's entire review caused you and others consternation...in my euphoric reaction I felt the urge to shout it from the mountaintop after waiting this long for a home theater presentation of this classic truly worthy of its stature!!!:P
Some people may be easily consternated but it didn't bother me at all.
Looking forward to your report from the screening. I doubt it's gonna be 4K too, even if the projector is, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't look nice. Question is WHAT format will they be sourcing from?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/60#post_3947773
Some people may be easily consternated but it didn't bother me at all.
Looking forward to your report from the screening. I doubt it's gonna be 4K too, even if the projector is, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't look nice. Question is WHAT format will they be sourcing from?

And that is the question to ask!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Harris said:
And that is the question to ask!
Yeah. I mean I can show you my system where it says 7.1 discrete stereo and 1080P Progressive scan superduper enhanced upscaling HD with THX and BFD and Blu Ray and blahblahblah. But if I turn the little switch to the cable box, or pop an old DVD into the Blu Ray player, you could end up with 480i and three channel mono anyway. And it may look decent, but it ain't 7.1 1080P Blu etc.
And I actually CARE how the picture on my screen looks. Imagine Junior Plexmanager who can point to stuff in the booth and knows vaguely that stuff comes out of it, but start talking about pixels and OAR and his eyes will glaze over.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm back from the Fathom Event. They definitely did use a 4K projector, but they also definitely didn't use a 4K source. The picture was also a bit muddy; perhaps they left the 3D lens on the projector. I did enjoy myself very much. I continue to go to these events primarily for the communal experience. I have very little chance to view classic films with a large audience outside of Fathom Events.
Skin tones were definitely overly brown, I hope that isn't the case in the BD.
Fathom's delivery system is designed to allow them to show live events, unfortunately this limits the possible picture quality for classic films.

Real Name
Ransom Stoddard
Why is the original mono track not on this Blu-ray? In this day and age. :rolleyes:
And why is no one kicking up a fuss about it? I am disappointed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Wayne_j /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/60#post_3948220
I'm back from the Fathom Event. They definitely did use a 4K projector, but they also definitely didn't use a 4K source. The picture was also a bit muddy; perhaps they left the 3D lens on the projector. I did enjoy myself very much. I continue to go to these events primarily for the communal experience. I have very little chance to view classic films with a large audience outside of Fathom Events.
Skin tones were definitely overly brown, I hope that isn't the case in the BD.
Fathom's delivery system is designed to allow them to show live events, unfortunately this limits the possible picture quality for classic films.

Same with me, it's my only chance to see classic films on the big screen with a large group of people. If I lived in LA or NYC, I might feel differently about attending these showings. They had two showings today at my local theater and I was able to see the afternoon matinee. There were several parents with children there and they seem to enjoy their film experience.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Wayne_j said:
They definitely did use a 4K projector, but they also definitely didn't use a 4K source. The picture was also a bit muddy; perhaps they left the 3D lens on the projector.
Whether or not the 3D adaptor was left on the projector, Fathom uses a satellite-feed source that's much more highly-compressed than a regular DCP file.
Wayne_j said:
Since they have to book the theatres long in advance (just like the theatres, themselves, book first-run features), I really wish that for these non-live events, Fathom would just serve a DCP to theatres in advance of their showings, like the motion picture studios do. I'd love to attend some of these digital screenings of classics, if I knew I could count on a theatrical-quality image.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/60#post_3947764

I went to the screening today and was less than impressed with the presentation (I've seen it in 35mm once, two years ago, in a print I assume was made this century). It'll be my last Fathom event, considering that I paid $12.50 for a matinee. I'll save my money for the next Disney 3-D reissue.

I only did it because it's Singin' in the Rain. The movie is a tour-de-force not only as a musical, but as a comedy as well.

Kylan1

Auditioning
Real Name
Kylan Hanson
i just got back... geeesh! the sound was crap! sounded like it was coming out of a tin can!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Are these closed-circuit TV broadcasts being priced the same as firstrun films?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sound was fine in my theater, sounded like standard Dolby Digital 5.1.
Ticket prices are slightly higher than a standard non-3d/non IMAX ticket.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wayne_j said:
Sound was fine in my theater, sounded like standard Dolby Digital 5.1.
Ticket prices are slightly higher than a standard non-3d/non IMAX ticket.
So More money for Less quality!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Fathom next will announce a deal with Universal to show their classics, Birds, etc. then other studios. So they are evidently making enough money on these things and one must wonder what would change if they were doing full quality instead of this.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I had a different experience in my showing. It was far better than the Fathom events that I've seen or heard about. It was in a 290 seat stadium seating auditorium and the picture was quite good and the color was very pleasing. Our picture was not muddy nor were the skintones brown. I was so impressed I called the theater and spoke to the manager, he said that it was not their typical satellite broadcast, but a downloaded file. I said "like a DCP" and he said yes---and based on what I saw today and what I've seen in the past, I believe him. It was a world of difference.
Added: he did mention that in the past they essentially DVR'd the satellite broadcast for playback and that this was different. Of course, I can find no confirmation of this and many of you say that it can't be. So who knows...all I do know is that it was a vastly improved presentation from what I've seen before or than what I've seen mentioned. I also know of others who had good experiences with the Singin' in the Rain event.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
So the question then is who decides which Fathom venues get a DCP, and which get the lowres satcast... and why?
The company itself is NCM - a network whose primary purpose is broadcasting pre-show advertising and it appears the default method is satellite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks