What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Silver Linings Playbook -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

One of my three favorite films of 2012, and I hold them all at the same level.

David O. Russell's Silver Linings Playbook is one of those supremely character-driven films that will grab you virtually from frame one.  While he's been around since the '80s, working in various production capacities, he really didn't come to the fore until Flirting with Disaster (1996).

Since then, it was two films in five years (Three Kings - 1999 and I Heart Huckabees - 2004), and then came The Fighter (2010), which, almost as if he'd just arrived on the scene, brought his work to heart of public attention (and awards).

Now, he's quickly up the ante with Silver Linings Playbook.

Technically, as another 2k DI, it should be a perfect Blu-ray, and it doesn't disappoint.

For those who haven't yet seen this film, it's available from the Weinstein Company, as distributed via Anchor Bay.

One question, for those who haven't yet availed themselves of this film's pleasure.

Why not?

Silver Linings Playbook should be in every serious Blu-ray library.

For those looking to the future American Hustle is coming, with a planned release date of Christmas of this year.  Cast sounds interesting:  Jennifer Lawrence (that archery picture), Bradley Cooper (Wedding Crashers), Jeremy Renner (28 Weeks Later), Christian Bale (Newsies), Amy Adams (Psycho Beach Party) and Robert De Niro (Greetings).  Can't wait for the Holidays to arrive.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I loved this film but I will admit I think Mr. Russell has just made one excellent film after another. I would have given best picture to this and The Master as they were far and away the two best American films of last year...well, in my mind anyway. From top to bottom everything about Silver Linings Playbook is outstanding...the writing, acting, direction, casting, photography, music, it all works together to create a film that is funny, dramatic, playful, wildly entertaining and actually has some things to say. Add to this actually getting a real performance out of DeNiro...who sadly has mailed a lot of them in over the last decade or so...and how this film would not top a lot of lists is beyond me.

I too am very excited to see American Hustle which looks like the odds on favorite for my favorite film of this year. I keep hoping that his success will lead to Russell maybe finishing Nailed even though at this point he seems to have disowned it. Shame that such a talented director has a practically finished film sitting in a can on a shelf collecting dust.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Reggie W said:
I loved this film but I will admit I think Mr. Russell has just made one excellent film after another. I would have given best picture to this and The Master as they were far and away the two best American films of last year...well, in my mind anyway. From top to bottom everything about Silver Linings Playbook is outstanding...the writing, acting, direction, casting, photography, music, it all works together to create a film that is funny, dramatic, playful, wildly entertaining and actually has some things to say. Add to this actually getting a real performance out of DeNiro...who sadly has mailed a lot of them in over the last decade or so...and how this film would not top a lot of lists is beyond me.

I too am very excited to see American Hustle which looks like the odds on favorite for my favorite film of this year. I keep hoping that his success will lead to Russell maybe finishing Nailed even though at this point he seems to have disowned it. Shame that such a talented director has a practically finished film sitting in a can on a shelf collecting dust.
If you can find a copy, the screenplay is worth a read on its own. Or for that matter the novel, which I've not yet had a chance to read.

RAH

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
This one's sitting here from Netflix. Interested in it a bit beyond its reputation as I work in the mental health field. Wonder if I can get paid for a day's work for watching it?

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Robert Harris said:
One of my three favorite films of 2012, and I hold them all at the same level.
Come on. You can't leave it hanging out there like that. What are the other two films of 2012?

For me personally, I liked it a lot and would put it equal third with several other films behind Moonrise Kingdom and Argo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks