What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Romancing the Stone & Jewel of the Nile -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Romancing the Stone (1984) and Jewel of the Nile (1985) are both fun romantic adventures, with the pairing of Mr. Douglas and Ms. Turner making audiences worldwide smile to the tune of almost $200,000,000.

Fox Home Video has presented these films in Blu-ray in clean, colorful, nicely resolved editions.

Viewing them, however, left me with a small problem. Not a large problem. Not a problem that should restrain anyone from purchasing the discs...

but a problem, nonetheless.

Film, as opposed to digital projection, has a built-in anomaly -- gate weave. We should not, however, see it to any large extent on Blu-ray.

Romancing the Stone, and from what I gathered from a sampling of its sequel were transferred either from poorly produced interpositives, or via an imperfect transfer, as both films have lateral movement. The films seem to tw.. twitch... from side to side during play.

Other than this, which will only be noticed on large screens, these are nice transfers of films that home video audiences have been requesting for some time.

Color, grain, densities, black levels, all look fine. Were it not for the twi... twitch... I'd be thrilled with them.

Other than the slight sideways movement, Recommended.

RAH

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review Robert, it seems that Fox is no going all the way to make the releases filmlike - they even incorporate authentic gate weave ;)

Kidding aside I think that gate weave, same as dust and specles, does not hurt a filmlike presentation within certain limits.

Oliver

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks