1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Prom Night -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    XenForo Template

Synapse is one of those little companies that can.

I just sampled their new Blu-ray of Paul Lynch's Prom Night, which has been derived from a new 2k scan of the original camera negative, and audio in DTS-HD MA, it brings the film to another level.  Actually, a level unexpected from a small indie label.

Color is perfect.  Shadow detail, which is occasionally  restricted by the original lighting and exposures reproduces the film beautifully.  Grain structure is perfect, and never intrusive.

For fans of the genre, this is the real thing.  Just a gorgeous Blu-ray.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

As a lover of the slasher genre, I'm happy to see this even coming out and ecstatic that the AV sounds like a homerun.

I was about 20 years too young but I wish Disco Madness had been the theme of my prom.

3. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    I love everything Synapse have been doing recently, one of the best indies in the biz.

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    They have a desire to hit a quality standard, and push bean-counters aside to do so.

I respect them greatly.

RAH

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I am going to blind-buy this movie, but think I will like it...and I would like to support Synapse for putting forth a quality product like this.

We need to see more of this from other studios instead of giving us something from an old master riddled with EE and DNR.

6. EddieLarkin

Nick
    The key thing for me, as a customer, is how revealing Don is on Facebook and the company blog. Reading about how they've had to encode several times just to get it right, or have started from scratch when being sent back masters that had been turned into wax works instead of merely cleaned up, or spending untolds amounts of money on colour correcting scans that the licensor had not bothered to do... It instills a huge amount of confidence in their products. When they do a new release these days, I know it'll represent the very best an indie label can offer.

7. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    Brad here. I"m not that much into slashers but I do remember this film when overseas with the USMC in Gitmo Bay.

A bunch of us male Marines wanted to marry that blonde chick who mooned the school janitor in that film.

Oh and Jamie Lee Curtis was hot in that film too.

8. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Second Unit

I concur. This blew my mind. 120 inch screen and it felt like a 35mm print. Astounding.

Hilariously dated movie, but great fun.

9. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    Absolutely. The amount of level of effort and care they put in to each release basically makes Synapse the Criterion of horror films, and Don takes it one step further with a nearly unprecedented level of transparency.

This will be a must-purchase coming from Synapse, whereas if it came from a lesser label, I would not be blind-buying it so quickly.

Vincent_P likes this.
  10. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    The only two Synapse I have are The Image and Countess Dracula.Both are immensely better than you'd ever think possible.

11. EddieLarkin

Nick
    The Image is definitely one of their best looking discs. Great film, though not for everyone!

12. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    You should also get Street Trash if you want to see more of the Synapse magic. The (technical) quality is almost literally unbelievable, and is a testament to the power and quality inherent to 35mm film. Were the film made today, it would be done digitally, and locked at a certain resolution (2K, if they're lucky), never looking much better than it did on release. Viva 1987.

13. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    First day buys if Synapse did them...They Call Her One Eye(they have it, Thriller)Alice in WonderlandPreaching to the Perverted

14. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Thanks for the review Robert. I have owned a couple variations of the film on dvd(both abysmal) so to see a great looking transfer of it should be a real treat.

15. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Screenwriter

David Matychuk
    Synapse did such sterling work on their Blu-Rays of "Vampire Circus" and "Twins Of Evil" that the snob appeal of owning the rare and ancient laserdiscs lost its magic for me. Seriously though, if they'd never released anything but those two never-even-on-DVD Hammer essentials Synapse Films would have the undying (undead?) appreciation of the legions of Hammer fans in North America, and that's before considering "Hands Of The Ripper" and "Countess Dracula". Factor in the other thrilling-to-somebody-I'm-sure matters-of-taste on their list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Synapse_Films_releases) (I particularly appreciate "Christmas Evil" on DVD and "Frankenhooker" on Blu-Ray myself), and I find it easy to go out on a small, sturdy limb and opine that Synapse are guided by the same impulse that I believe will ultimately save home video, which is the idea of "The Best Possible Version With The Best Possible Illumination For Those Who Care".

schan1269 likes this.
  16. Oblivion138

Oblivion138 Second Unit

James O'Blivion
    I've never been a big fan of this film, but I'm still tempted to pick up the BD. Simply because every transfer I ever saw of it looked AWFUL, and I'm sure the improvement will be mindblowing.

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I just finished watching the disc and it's excellent. I watched it with the mono track and even that sounds really good.

The bar is set very high for what Synapse will do with Suspiria, Tenebre and Phenomena.