What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Planet Earth -- in HD & BD (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well hopefullly your eyes were on the road and not the freaky sky. ;)

I always called banding "plateu-ing" in the sense that the colors mash together onto plateaus or gradiant steps.

Anyway, I think this set may be the one that gets me to jump into the HD-DVD waters (since I have the 360 already). Tino goes on and on about how great it is...but despite him I believe the rest of you. :D

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Can anybody that has Planet Earth in the HD-DVD format tell me if it allows bookmarks? Bookmarks would be handy in my family, since it takes us a couple nights to watch anything. However, if there are no bookmarks I would likely go with the Blu-Ray version. I've scoured the internet trying to find an answer to this question, but haven't seen it mentioned.

allanfisch

Agent
Real Name
Allan
The Freshwater episode on the BD version has severe playback errors, I would guess some sort of tracking error on the D5 tape that was used for the encode, most noticeable in the waterfall scene(looks like azimuth errors)...I also noticed it in another episode on only one shot though, and it may have been a shot stolen from the FW episode...So this probably goes back to the edit master. The other thing that bothers me, and maybe other people have noticed it, but there is some sort of strange thumping going on with the audio. It's most noticeable on sustained notes in the music score. To my ears it sounds like pitch correction. Anyone else notice that? For a retail price of nearly $100, I would have hoped for better QC procedures. All of this aside, I think it is probably one of the best nature documentaries I have ever seen and could not have come at a more crucial time as far as our planetary issues go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks