What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pitch Black -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Pitch Black is in many sequences precisely that. I presume that film stock was pushed. Grain bursts naturally in dark areas, and effects shots take on a look of their own.

This is a fun film -- to me a quality "B" picture -- which is nicely represented in this release from Universal, which is part re-issue on Blu and part new material. Probably the most interesting carry-over from HD is Pitch Black Raw, which offers a look behind the making of effects sequences. Nice stuff, especially for the film student.

For those following the series, Chronicles has been released concurrent with Pitch Black, and is also a quality Blu-ray. At nearly five times the budget of the original, everything is a step up. Diesel also produced.

As this seems to be Vin Diesel week on Blu-ray, we'll pay a visit to the new Blu-rays of the Fast & Furious series ASAP.

RAH

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Pitch Black is a favorite of mine and I'm looking forward to watching it in high def. Even though it didn't have a big budget, I never felt I was watching a cheap movie. It might be a "B" but as you wrote, it's quality.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Pitch Black is also a favorite as is CoR, looking forward to adding both films to my collection.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy had an exclusive version of CoR on DVD (when it came out on DVD), with an entire second DVD of production diaries. I wonder if these production diaries made it to the BluRay?

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Personally I think this movie gives Alien a run for its money. I felt like I had uncovered a hidden gem seeing it during its theatrical run. I'm glad so many people have come to appreciate it on home video.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Loved these first two, can't wait for the next two, and where the hell is Outland?!!!

Thanks, as always Robert, for your comments. Much appreciated.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I noticed that the center channel volume seemed to change throughout the film, anyone else notice this? It seem louder at times then others. It also seems that the audio track is very front and center channel heavy, not a lot of surround activity. Overall, I am quite disappointed with the audio on this disc.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The first two reviews of Chronicles posted to Amazon say it stops playing after Riddick says "cute kid". Many replies asking about whether they're using old firmware, but both Samsung and PS3 owners are affected by it, apparently. Need to search this out...

And a couple more over here:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...ack-issue.html

And on the forum whose name we dare not mention, some details:

Ughh - I have that freezing problem as well - Chapter 4, almost exactly 14 minutes in on the unrated cut. I bought the Pitch Black / Riddick 2-pack from Amazon, and was playing it on a first generation 60GB PS3 w/ the current 2.70 firmware. Same numbers on the inner ring of my disc as reported by SatinKzo...
7755 4667 0EE5 27E9 L0 B04
7755_4667.0EE5.27E9 L1

But others say:
"The ring numbers don't seem to have any relevance. At other forums, people have done exchanges with Best Buy or Amazon and gotten new discs with the exact same ring numbers, and the new discs have worked perfectly."

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Yeah I noticed that too. I found myself having to constantly fiddle with the remote to adjust the volume levels -- something I haven't typically had to do as much with Blu Ray.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So Pitch Black has a poor audio track and Chronicles has a manufacturing defect in the disc. I love Pitch Black but it looks like I'll be sitting this one out. Very disappointing.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Just thought this a bit interesting. i've tried three copies of "Chronicles" and all have had problems in the extended version near the 14 minute mark. Two were from Amazon. One from Walmart. Very frustrating. My player is up to date.

member666

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie
Never seen Pitch Black before, will have to check it out once the Semester is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks