What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Patton -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys, Fox has not announced plans to do this.
Please stop the rumors here.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I thought I was pointing out that any such 'a rumour was impossible, against the the natural laws of the universe, and nearly beyond comprehension.

I don't believe in rumours, I don't, I don't, I don't. I especially don't believe in rumours about Fox kindness! That's just too laughable.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ronald Epstein said:
Guys, Fox has not announced plans to do this.
Please stop the rumors here.
It was not my intention to start a rumour. I guess my reading comprehension was adversely affected by my 3 year old sitting on my lap while I tried to do a bit of internet navigating earlier today--I didn't think Fox had announced such plans, I just wanted to be sure (when some of RAH's insider stature makes such an observation, I think it worth confirming). Sorry.
At the same time, this clears the way for me to get a copy of Patton sooner rather than later (which was also one of my concerns).

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
When we were in Hollywood on the HTF tour, I spoke to a Fox representative about this and was told the original data files that were output from the transfer of the film to digital NO LONGER EXIST!

So the only way this will be fixed will be by a new transfer from film which is a very expensive undertaking. IOW, as Ron said: No plans to redo this in the near future.

Vern

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Well, the good thing is that if it is redone, it will probably be done correctly
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I can not wait to hear that this title has been fixed. I agree that it will most likely be done for some time. But that just means that I personally will not buy this title until it has been remastered and a new corrected Bluray is on the shelf.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
This was on one of the movie channels in HD recently and it looked much better than the BD.
I recorded it and compared it directly to my BD copy. The broadcast version was a bit grainier and sharper overall, with none of the smeary DNR look.
I don't know if it was an older transfer, or if processing was applied to the BD after than transfer stage, but, either way, a superior HD version of this title is out there. Hopefully Fox will make it available on BD.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Andre Bijelic said:
better than the BD.
I recorded it and compared it directly to my BD copy. The broadcast version was a bit grainier and sharper overall, with none of the smeary DNR look.
I don't know if it was an older transfer, or if processing was applied to the BD after than transfer stage, but, either way, a superior HD version of this title is out there. Hopefully Fox will make it available on BD.
I am pretty sure that in no time there will be requests or should I say demands for you to post a capture of that recording :D

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Andre Bijelic said:
better than the BD.
Maybe you best run off a copy and send it over to Fox home video?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I like many here will not buy this title until Fox correct this mess and comes up with a new transfer. I also make it a point to inform other consumers that this title is messed up and why it is bad. I do this when ever I am in the store buying Blu-ray's and see someone with Patton in there hand. I have yet to have someone buy this title anyway after I tell them what is wrong with this transfer. And I will continue to inform others about the horible transfer and I would hope others here are doing the same. This is the only way I see Fox giving Patton a new transfer anytime soon.

MatS

Screenwriter
I've never seen Patton before but watched it tonight on BD courtesy of my local library

50" 720p Panasonic tv

I thought the picture looked great for its age

I did not see evidence of "waxy faces", "smearing" etc ....

I am sensitive to those of you who are bothered by these issues (DNR, EE, etc) and knew there was much discussion about this title going into my viewing but I guess I can just be happy that I seldom if ever notice these things

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /forum/thread/272830/a-few-words-about-patton-in-blu-ray/300#post_3398194
This was the most beautiful transfer I had ever laid my eyes upon.
It was completely, undeniably flawless in every respect.
....and that is where I realized the problem....
The film had an "oddity" about it. It didn't look normal. I mean,
I have seen many films from the early '70s. I know the horror stories
about the Eastman movie film stock used during this era, and perhaps
Patton doesn't apply in this case --- but I do know that all
these films should be showing a visible amount of grain.
As gorgeous as Patton looks -- and I go on record saying it
is brilliantly gorgeous -- it doesn't look at all natural.
Seeing the last post and Ron's observation I can now understand why a friend of mine was recommending this as one of the best blu-ray's he's ever seen. It's one of my favourite films so grain or no grain I'm tempted to buy it. At the very least I can tell people it might look gorgeous but it's not how this 1970 film should look. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /t/272830/a-few-words-about-patton-in-blu-ray/480#post_3634420
Seeing the last post and Ron's observation I can now understand why a friend of mine was recommending this as one of the best blu-ray's he's ever seen. It's one of my favourite films so grain or no grain I'm tempted to buy it. At the very least I can tell people it might look gorgeous but it's not how this 1970 film should look. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif
The problem was not simply "grain or no grain," it was the removal of grain by throwing the image out of focus, creating a loss of all detail.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by stevenHa /t/272830/a-few-words-about-patton-in-blu-ray/480#post_3842908
Just curious, in a situation like this, does Robert Harris prefer the dvd over the bluray of Patton ?
Neither, but if forced to run something, it would be the DVD.

RAH

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Wondering if this will make its way back as a "Filmmakers Signature Series" (like The French Connection and Wall Street), or if it will be handed over to Twilight Time for a limited run.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Felix Martinez said:
Wondering if this will make its way back as a "Filmmakers Signature Series" (like The French Connection and Wall Street), or if it will be handed over to Twilight Time for a limited run.
I'm guessing neither. There are too many extras on the current release for Twilight Time to try to make a go of a bare-bones release, and Franklin Schaffner hasn't signed anything in 23 years.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I would think if TT released it, it would be a movie-only release to get it "into the hands of the fans" which I believe has been Fox's intent and sounds like a narrow re-release plan. Maybe also have the isolated score, which TT has a history of doing. And a magnet, perhaps.
Personally, I would like to see a Filmmakers Sig Series of Patton - ideally replacing the current version in print. This should go beyond just satisfying the fans. It should effectively nullify the Madame Tussaud version. I thought the French Connection and Wall Street discs were very welcome re-releases of those titles and extras were (more or less) intact.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I had the privilege to see a 70mm print of PATTON this afternoon at AFI Silver in Silver Spring, Md. While the print was in pretty good shape, the quality of the color shifted a bit from reel to reel. But as always, the level of detail was breathtaking.... I noticed a bead of sweat coming down behind George C. Scott's ear right after he delivers the opening monologue. This will be shown again tomorrow.
And a reminder.... AFI Silver is doing a 70mm festival this summer. No official word yet, but rumored titles include ICE STATION ZEBRA, GRAND PRIX, HOW THE WEST WAS WON (!?), CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, 2001, and SPARTACUS. I would expect the actual schedule to be announced in about a month. So... if you are an east coast 70mm fan, try for find the time to get to Silver Spring to see this festival. We don't get many chances here to see films in this format.

John Skoda

Second Unit
I was there on Sunday. The announcer mentioned two specific titles for the summer 70mm festival--IT'S A MAD....WORLD and SPARTACUS, plus others still being negotiated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks