What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pal Joey -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
My Capitol Records Concept Albums set arrived from Amazon (via Newbury Comics) today. What a gorgeous set. I prefer the sound of the UK remasters from 1998, but for under $35 shipped, snagging this was a no-brainer. Those LP cover reproductions are gorgeous.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Compared to the dvd the blu-ray does look better but not by much - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews56/pal_joey_blu-ray.htm

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
RolandL said:
Compared to the dvd the blu-ray does look better but not by much - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews56/pal_joey_blu-ray.htm
Well, not if you consider 1000% better "not much." How many times, I wonder, do people have to be told about the Beaver's horrible screen caps before they catch on :) It is, in fact, the most unreliable place to look at screen caps and that information has been posted everywhere many, many times. While the idea of what the Beaver does is a good one, he, in fact, is doing a huge disservice to so many transfers, simply because his caps are never ever accurate to what's on the disc. I always marvel how sometimes the DVD caps look BETTER than the Blu-ray when it's always the opposite.
Beaver = large container of salt :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
haineshisway said:
How many times, I wonder, do people have to be told about the Beaver's horrible screen caps before they catch on . . . I always marvel how sometimes the DVD caps look BETTER than the Blu-ray when it's always the opposite.
I've noticed that too. I wonder if Gary Tooze has and if it worries him.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have a copy of the old 2001 DVD and I'm looking at it on my 55 inch Sony kdl55nx810 TV and it looks better than the screen caps on Beaver's. My PC monitor is not HD so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, the DVD is 1.33:1 which shows more picture information on the top and bottom but less on the sides. I'll have to do a screen shot and show you.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/319002/a-few-words-about-pal-joey-in-blu-ray/60#post_3915533
I have a copy of the old 2001 DVD and I'm looking at it on my 55 inch Sony kdl55nx810 TV and it looks better than the screen caps on Beaver's. My PC monitor is not HD so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, the DVD is 1.33:1 which shows more picture information on the top and bottom but a lot less on the sides. I'll have to do a screen shot and show you.
Isn't that disc a flipper with the widescreen version on the other side?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have a DVD-R copy of the 2001 DVD so the actual DVD should look better. It doesn't look as good here as it does on my Sony.
http://cineramahistory.com/Pal_Joey.htm

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
RolandL said:
I have a copy of the old 2001 DVD and I'm looking at it on my 55 inch Sony kdl55nx810 TV and it looks better than the screen caps on Beaver's. My PC monitor is not HD so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, the DVD is 1.33:1 which shows more picture information on the top and bottom but less on the sides. I'll have to do a screen shot and show you.
Are you saying you haven't even seen the Blu-ray? If that's the case, then you cannot do an apt comparison, I'm afraid. 1.33 is the absolute incorrect ratio for this title - they've either zoomed in to get rid of the huge head and foot room, which may be why the sides are compromised, or they've just cut off the sides - in any case, it's not the way to view this film.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
haineshisway said:
Are you saying you haven't even seen the Blu-ray? If that's the case, then you cannot do an apt comparison, I'm afraid. 1.33 is the absolute incorrect ratio for this title - they've either zoomed in to get rid of the huge head and foot room, which may be why the sides are compromised, or they've just cut off the sides - in any case, it's not the way to view this film.
Yes, 1.33:1 is incorrect. But based on the 1080p screen captures - http://cineramahistory.com/Pal_Joey.htm it's not a big of enough difference to spend $40 for the Blu-ray for me. Other people will disagree with me which is fine. I did spend $30 for the Ben-Hur blu-ray and the difference is big.
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cap1=2219&cap2=2203&art=full&image=12&cID=589&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Considering that Columbia (as a matter of studio policy) went 100% widescreen in April 1953 and PAL JOEY started filming over four years later, I don't think there's any debate to the intended 1.85 aspect ratio.
7d3e467c_9.21.57.jpeg

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I have watched the PAL JOEY blu-ray several times on a Optomo projector at about 110 inches and I have to say it looks better than any of the screen caps I have seen, IMO they just do not do it justice, especially the richness of the color.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
One of my all time favourite films and a big thank you to Twilight Time for making it available on Blu-ray. If you have the original DVD release you will be rewarded with a big improvement in picture and sound quality. If you have the excellent Kim Novak box set the improvement is not so noticeable, and I assume the same source materials were used for the Blu-ray. When I watch this I keep wishing it had been produced in VistaVision. For me this is Frank Sinatra's best film, but thinking of VistaVision makes me wonder why we are still waiting for High Society (Frank's second best!).

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Keith Cobby
One of my all time favourite films and a big thank you to Twilight Time for making it available on Blu-ray.
If you have the original DVD release you will be rewarded with a big improvement in picture and sound quality. If you have the excellent Kim Novak box set the improvement is not so noticeable, and I assume the same source materials were used for the Blu-ray. When I watch this I keep wishing it had been produced in VistaVision.
For me this is Frank Sinatra's best film, but thinking of VistaVision makes me wonder why we are still waiting for High Society (Frank's second best!).
You need to write to George Feltenstein & Ned Price at Warner's about "High Society", as that classic Sinatra-Bing Crosby MGM musical is in their purview...there was a very well done DVD made by Warner's a few years back and to my eyes and ears, the picture/sound quality was such that it could be ported over to BD without too much work, either as a straight-up retail release or as part of their newly-instituted blu-ray-on-demand program as a full-fledged pressed disc release...

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Keith Cobby said:
For me this is Frank Sinatra's best film, but thinking of VistaVision makes me wonder why we are still waiting for High Society (Frank's second best!).
I agree Pal Joey is one of Sinatra's best, but aside from High Society, I'm still holding out for other Sinatra classics like Young at Heart, The Tender Trap and Some Came Running. All made while Sinatra was in his prime, both as an actor and a singer, and if done right, all of them would look great. I'm really surprised that given his popularity, all we've had so far is a handful of Sinatra releases on BD.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Sinatra's "CAN-CAN" is well down the list of votes on the HTF's vote for a blu-ray promotion. I keep voting for it, but alas it appears that many others don't seem to care for Sinatra or musicals these days. It would look outstanding on Blu-Ray. Maybe TT will take it on.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Doug Bull said:
Sinatra's "CAN-CAN" is well down the list of votes on the HTF's vote for a blu-ray promotion. I keep voting for it, but alas it appears that many others don't seem to care for Sinatra or musicals these days. It would look outstanding on Blu-Ray. Maybe TT will take it on.
I keep voting for it too. Doesn't do any good!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
As a Sinatra fan, I feel a bit guilty that I have not been voting for Can-Can (I've been voting for The Agony and the Ecstasy). However, on the plus side, the HDNET Movies channel has been showing a nice HD master of the film; so it may be good to go if they green-light a release. Another thing to consider: 2015 will be (incredibly) the Sinatra centenary year. So, there may be some 100th birthday goodies coming out then. Another plus: Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab is in the process of releasing 8 of Sinatra's Capitol albums in Hybrid SACD format. So far, the only one that has shipped is Where Are You? in the original mono mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks