1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Oz The Great and Powerful 3D -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Sam Raimi's Oz The Great and Powerful is a 3D powerhouse. Great dimensional design and use of the technology.

An interesting back-story, strangely in black & white and 1.37 -- later expanding (quite nicely) to gorgeous color and scope aspect ratio.

Very enjoyable film, possibly short of James Franco's acting abilities, which seem to leave me cold.

Shot with a Red Epic, and taken through to a 2k DI, and from there on to various technical permutations and incarnations, the resultant Blu-ray is a beauty. DTS-HD MA 7.1 adds pinpoint accuracy to audio placement. A great track!

The only oddity to be noted is that the disc automatically defaults to 2.0. Please be aware that 7.1 (or 5.1, for that matter) must be selected via the setup menu.

A very good take on the old Oz tales, and a stunning addition to one's 3D library.

Recommended.

RAH

Brian McP likes this.
  2. moovtune

moovtune Well-Known Member

James
    And an interesting use of the audio is to be mainly mono throughout the black & white opening section then switching to 7.1 in the midst of the tornado sequence.

3. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you Robert. The 3D effects were absolutely stunning and I would have loved this picture if it had not been for Mr. Franco. I think I'll still pick it up, just to watch it on my 3D TV and show my boys, but it could have been so much better with one casting change.

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Premium
    Supporter

David
    Why in the world would it default to 2.0?

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I am not a huge fan of 3D movies but really enjoyed this one. I recommend it as a demo disc to show off 3D to my friends. I too found it really odd that it defaults to 2.0 on the sound.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    My BD is on its way from the UK, I hope to view it next weekend.

7. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to read your thoughts on his work in Spring Breakers when it hits video. The movie itself is pretty vile and very R rated but Franco- who, admittedly, I've been a big fan of for years- is great in it as a drug dealer/rapper/lunatic/scumbag.

8. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I screened Oz this weekend. With the exception of a few well-done moments I found the film rather boring and generic. Save for several scenes with China Girl there was no spark or magic. Meh. The Blu does look fantabulous though.

9. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I'm watching the UK blu. The disc defaults to 7.1, and the 3D is excellent.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Steve,I got my UK disc yesterday and will be watching it later today. Awesome about the 3-D looking excellent.

11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    i also watched some of the 2D blu last night. You could definitely tell that it was intended for 3D. At one point, the disc locked up, and would not advance. We chapter skipped back and it finally resumed, and did not stop again.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I had a great time watching the 3-D version of Oz. I was into it and consider it a pretty good fantasy film. The video and audio presentations of this disc was excellent and I had no problems with this disc.

13. Tino

Tino Premium
    Supporter

Valentino
    I liked it too..and got it at a bargain. Bought the Blu ray DVD combo for $12.99 with coupon and sent in for the 3D blu shipped for $5.99. Total $18.98 for all. I'm pretty sure that was the best deal available at the time of release.